RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mk IV (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377)
-   -   Ruger Mark IV (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766377)

fourbore 09-24-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Too bad Ruger left the serial number on the receiver barrel instead of moving it to the lower frame.
Yes, I understand this. And, I am thinking as I type, I dont see how moving the serial number would help Ruger? Today if I want a hunter, slab side and a standard I am going to buy three guns from Ruger. If they move the number to the frame, I could buy one gun from Ruger and two stripped uppers else where. I dont even need three bolts. Just the upper frame and barrel. Where is the motivation for Ruger in that?

I dont know,... it worked for the Contender, I guess.... T/C sold the barrels too. I lean toward thinking Ruger is better of numbering the upper.

garystl 09-24-2016 06:16 PM

$599 plus tax at my LGS. Eastern Missouri.

Hatchetjoe 09-24-2016 06:19 PM

While no one has said anything about it, my question remains : Can the barrels be swapped without needing a serialized part?

FredVK 09-24-2016 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=fourbore;7255601]"Yes, I understand this. And, I am thinking as I type, I dont see how moving the serial number would help Ruger? Today if I want a hunter, slab side and a standard I am going to buy three guns from Ruger. If they move the number to the frame, I could buy one gun from Ruger and two stripped uppers else where. I dont even need three bolts. Just the upper frame and barrel. Where is the motivation for Ruger in that?"

You're correct on that. Its always the bottom line. Still, didn't seem to worry S&W any on the barrel changing Mod 41.

hooverjc 09-24-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith (Post 7253913)
Too many Ruger Mark pistols? Cast off the "older" models in lieu of making life easier? And they say the kids these days are spoiled? I don't believe that for one minute, they just smell that way. :p

Actually, I've enjoyed experiencing the evolution of the Ruger Mark & Standard pistols over the years that I've been involved with working on all the specimens, from very early to latest, that have been available. Anything and everything that's unlikable concerning the older pistols can be modified, and everything concerning dis and re assembly can be learned, if you want to learn how, bad enough.

I applaud Ruger for listening to customer complaints involving some of the complaints that have haunted the Ruger Mark III guns since 2005. Too bad it took 12 years for those complaints to seem plausible to them. Another case of "time" being the teacher?

Have too many Ruger Mark pistols? How many is too many? I have a bunch of 'em, the amount I will not divulge, but I can promise one thing............there's gonna be one more soon.

Very well said SGW, I too have many Marks in custody and will probably never release any as long as I am able to squeeze the trigger. And will probably be getting more, especially some older ones that I will need to reassemble. But I am also looking forward to picking up my Mark IV hunter on Monday, then ordering the target in SS. Have only ever had one MK III that gave me trouble and Ruger was quick to fix. Having own or shot most brands of semi-auto 22s The Ruger is still on the top of my list, with my SW 41 and Victory right behind. Not a volume poster on forums but enjoy reading and buying my Grandsons ammo so we can shoot together!

cobalt327 09-24-2016 07:40 PM

The 'key/lock' was in reference to the safety mechanism built into the Mark 3 pistols. It uses a key that spins a threaded pin that, when deployed, will prevent the pistol from operating by locking the safety in the "ON" position. This also means there is a hole through the left side of the grip frame.

4eyes 09-24-2016 08:38 PM

Mk IV is for wimps

Gone will be that awesome feeling of accomplishment and victory experienced when you finally wrassle the gun back together. This push button takedown is for wimps :)

cobalt327 09-24-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregbenner (Post 7254849)
Will grips from a Mark 3 fit a Mark4? (sorry if this has been asked before). I'm assuming no, but.....

Hole c/c look close but not directly interchangeable by the looks of the L side. Magazines do interchange, though.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...MK3-4LGRIP.jpg

FredVK 09-24-2016 08:48 PM

I am going to miss looking for my Ruger after I tossed it out the window. You're right though, the initial process was a character builder, a rite of passage. The intro of the MKIV marks the end of an era. When men were men and Rugers had removable mainspring assemblies. Future generations will miss out. Something to sit around the campfire and reminisce about. There will come a time when no one is left to remember how to reassemble these. Sigh

jon p 09-24-2016 09:41 PM

Say what???

Quote:

Originally Posted by savage2 (Post 7255257)
Just my 2 cents, It looks nice, but when they left up on the barrel it looks cheap, madly made. its a weak spot, no two ways about it, bad move on them. If you like it that's fine, think I will steer clear. thanks

left up on the barrel, madly made? typos?

Rider357 09-24-2016 09:41 PM

Guilty as charged, I would love to have one. But since I put a lot of money in my mkiii and learned the tedious routine kinda like a Rubics Cube that shoots bullets so nicely I guess I will pass. Too bad the buyers of the MKiv will never have all that fun.

ditto1958 09-24-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4eyes (Post 7256449)
Gone will be that awesome feeling of accomplishment and victory experienced when you finally wrassle the gun back together. This push button takedown is for wimps :)

I spose if you get one you could glue it together with JB Weld. Then if you figure out how to get it apart, you'll still have that feeling. :)

SailDesign 09-24-2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

Do you drive a stick-shift, or an automatic? :p

KKG515 09-24-2016 09:59 PM

I too agree that Bill Sr. got it right the first time. ALL Steel and well blued!

ditto1958 09-24-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

I spose if you get one you could glue it together with JB Weld. Then if you figure out how to get it apart, you'll still have that feeling. :)

Meanwhile, all is not lost. You can still get a Browning BL-22 lever gun. I think those are way harder to put back together.