RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Buck Mark / Buck Mark Rifle / Challenger I, II & III / Medalist / International Medalist and No (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Question About Mounting A Red Dot (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364005)

QB Too 11-03-2010 09:44 PM

Question About Mounting A Red Dot

I am new to Buckmark pistols and recently purchased a Buckmark Bullseye SS Target. What would I have to do to mount an Aimpoint H-1 Micro optic to my gun? Also, can the front sight be changed to a fiber optic?

I am eventually going to purchase a second Buckmark and saw some models with a full rail but I also want a stainless gun, probably another 7.5" barrel but maybe a 5.5" one. I think the models with rails were Contour and is there one called the Field?

I've searched and read a bunch of threads but am still a bit confused about the various models.

Thanks for any info/suggestions you might have.

M2HB 11-03-2010 09:48 PM

Even if you get a stainless steel BuckMark, the frame is still made of an alloy. The full rail models are nice for mounting optics.:bthumb:
There are so many different models of the BuckMark, I don't even try to keep track of them. They even have 3 different frame shapes that make it even more difficult to keep track of.

ms6852 11-03-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB Too (Post 3162608)
I am new to Buckmark pistols and recently purchased a Buckmark Bullseye SS Target. What would I have to do to mount an Aimpoint H-1 Micro optic to my gun? Also, can the front sight be changed to a fiber optic?

I am eventually going to purchase a second Buckmark and saw some models with a full rail but I also want a stainless gun, probably another 7.5" barrel but maybe a 5.5" one. I think the models with rails were Contour and is there one called the Field?

I've searched and read a bunch of threads but am still a bit confused about the various models.

Thanks for any info/suggestions you might have.

I purchased this scope mount this way I have the option for sights or red dots and put the walther nano point on my buck mark.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...S/IMG_6131.jpghttp://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...S/IMG_6136.jpghttp://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...S/IMG_6151.jpg

ms6852 11-03-2010 10:08 PM

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...Y_SCOPE_MOUNT#

photoracer 11-04-2010 12:51 AM

I personally don't like the full rail models. It eliminates the possibility of putting a compensator on the barrel as long as it is there.
For non full rail models there are several brands of weaver type rails that replace the iron sight rail, Tac Sol, Weigand, Weaver, etc. The best combo is the Tactical Solutions rail with the built in rear sight. This gives you the option of using iron sights or mounting a scope or red dot. If you don't plan on ever using the iron sights they and the rest make a rail with no rear sight also.
As for fiber optics the choices are adding an F-O sight on the front only like a HiViz or using the original iron sight rail and mounting a full set of Williams F-O sights. Personally I like the Tac Sol rear and the fiber optic HiViz in front as this is similar to several of my centerfire pistols.
But I have a set of Williams mounted on a rail also, I just don't like the small size that much. With the HiViz you get several sizes of light pipes in both red and green to better match the notch size of your rear sight.
With a Buckmark there are 2 ways to buy and soup it up. If you are planning to make major changes like barrels, rails, sights, triggers, and grips for instance it makes no sense to buy anything but the cheapest one you can find. You will be changing most of the things that make the models different. So a basic Camper model for $299 or a used one makes sense. If you want to buy one a particular way like a Contour or a URX Lite then buy it that way and enjoy it.
As for red dots I tend to be opininated as a competition shooter as I have tried lots of them.
In my opinion mini red dots are not the best unless you buy the really good ones in the $200+ range, at least for a pistol. They are fine for indoor work or for keeping the dot as low on the bore axis as possible, but they mostly are not always bright enough for bright sunlit ranges. Just depends on how well they are made. For full size models, either reflex (holographic) or tube type, if you only got to the range some times and you don't shoot 500-1000 or more rounds a month for competitive practice and are not using a very light race type BM, most of them will work, even the cheap $50 models. And don't bet that the ones with the factory name on them that cost more are much better than the no-name ones that admit they are made in China.
When it comes to the cheap reflex type, the only ones I have used and recommend at the lowest level are TruGlo. Their red/green dual color is not bad. Otherwise if you want to be serious you skip the weaver rail and buy an Allchin direct mount ($45) and a C-More ($200).
This combo allows you to remove only the rear sight mount screw and then the barrel screw to take the sight and barrel off in one piece for cleaning and put it back on without losing the POA.
Browning does not make a complete stainless gun like say the Ruger Mk III. Stainless guns are a Ruger thing ( I have 2 of their SS revolvers). Browning frames are made using a forged aluminum alloy block that is CNC machined into a very tight and solid frame. As a result the only way Ruger can make a .22 that is even close to the lightest weight you can get a Browning built to is the polymer frame 22/45 with a Tac Sol alloy receiver and barrel on top.
I know I have a Ruger 22/45 also and while it is a nice shooting gun, with about $200 worth of Volquartsen accurizing parts on it, it is no match for my Browning.

photoracer 11-04-2010 01:04 AM

As a followup I should say that most of these combos I mention are geared to people interested in in shooting speed events like steel and bowling pin matches.
For bullseye, too light a gun is not really wanted, plus you want a long barrel for a better sight radius unless you are using a scope. I shoot speed events with a Tac Sol 5.5" alloy barrel and 2211 steel compensator, Tac Sol aluminum alloy grips, Allchin mount and polymer C-More.
For bullseye target shooting I use a Tac Sol 7.25" alloy barrel with VQ SS comp, wood target grips, Tac Sol rail, and Burris SpeedDot 135 tube type red dot. If I had a heavier long barrel I would use it. Right now I swap both combos on a single BM. However once I sell either my Ruger 22/45 or my S&W 22S I intend to buy another Buckmark and put the parts on that one.

QB Too 11-04-2010 10:32 AM

I think I'll look into the TacSol rail. The sight I'm going to use is the Aimpoint H-1 Micro because I already have some of them. I'm just using the pistol for range use and maybe a little league (not sure what format they shoot).

Think I'll stick with the non-railed guns so that I have an option of adding a rail or not.

Thanks for all the great information.

rhytonen 10-15-2019 02:24 PM

Also new to Buckmarks, I have two coming (an older 5"slabside and a new 7" Hunter, both on layaway; ) and am considering the (expensive, but unchallenged) "Outerimpact Red Dot Adapter/Mount for Browning Buckmark Pistol - M.R.A ," $79(!) RMR adapter, on Amazon.
I want to try the new "Meprolight FT Bullseye sight," as well as be able to mount a naked RMR-base (ADE) Red Dot; eliminating the height of a "red dot with picatinny adapter," on the stock rail. Sights should be down close to the barrel, IMHO.
Has anyone tried this combo? You can get the Meprolight cheaper (like a red "Sphinx" for $67 on OP,) since you don't care what dovetail adapter it comes with. Bad news there isn't an available Buckmark model.