RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   RFC Community Forum (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Got Caught In Condition White! (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174289)

rc. 10-15-2019 02:34 AM

Got Caught In Condition White!

I don't want to go into specific detail, but a criminal predator took advantage of the fact I was busy working on something on the ranch to sneak up and steal from my truck when I wasn't looking. Boy these people are brazen. I hate criminals! There is no safe place in California anymore! Thankfully I know what happened due to the magic of video. Otherwise I would have been second guessing where I put stuff for weeks. I need to get another dog! My last dog was pretty quiet but she would have alerted me someone was in the yard. Cameras are great to figure out what happened but they are only useful after the fact when you are already a victim.

fourbore 10-15-2019 08:09 AM

Look at it this way, it could be worse. Years back they would have taken the whole truck. In reality, no place was ever safe. Hence the 2nd amendment.

I do agree, a good dog (or two) is worthwhile on many levels.

grg 10-15-2019 08:10 AM

I worry about that very thing when I go hunting. I keep thinking a guy should set out a trailcam pointing towards the truck in case someone would break into it.

JTJ 10-15-2019 09:51 AM

A long time ago a hunter I knew parked his car in a turnout and was headed up the hill through some brush to his hunting spot when he saw a car pull up in front of his. He was pretty well hidden. Two guys got out with tool boxes and headed for his car. One in front and one in back. He put a round into the dirt behind the guy trying to get into his trunk. They both dropped everything and took off fast. He got two boxes of tools and a new sport.:D

GladesGuy 10-15-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 11639281)
A long time ago a hunter I knew parked his car in a turnout and was headed up the hill through some brush to his hunting spot when he saw a car pull up in front of his. He was pretty well hidden. Two guys got out with tool boxes and headed for his car. One in front and one in back. He put a round into the dirt behind the guy trying to get into his trunk. They both dropped everything and took off fast. He got two boxes of tools and a new sport.:D

In California and most other places, that type of action would get YOU prosecuted. Those guys could claim they were just strolling by with their tools and somebody started shooting at them. Unfortunately, the weed business in California has brought in a lot of sketchy characters to harvest the weed and a huge increase in such crimes. My friends in Northern Cali are all complaining they may have to move somewhere else.

Sophia 10-15-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc. (Post 11639099)
Cameras are great to figure out what happened but they are only useful after the fact when you are already a victim.

That's the thing about security cameras -- unless they are being monitored best they can do is help you track down the perp after the fact, and then only if someone recognizes him. Otherwise the image produced by most of them and the fact that you're fishing in the whole population doesn't really narrow it down.

Al the Infidel 10-15-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia (Post 11639379)
That's the thing about security cameras -- unless they are being monitored best they can do is help you track down the perp after the fact, and then only if someone recognizes him. Otherwise the image produced by most of them and the fact that you're fishing in the whole population doesn't really narrow it down.

Something to be said for a national facial recognition system to tap into like China. just sayin

Bird-Dog 10-15-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grg (Post 11639185)
I worry about that very thing when I go hunting. I keep thinking a guy should set out a trailcam pointing towards the truck in case someone would break into it.

Good way to get your trail cam stolen too! :eek:

ChefDuane 10-15-2019 11:49 AM

Ranch? You evil overseer landowner enemy of the people! That poor thief was probably just to feed opioid addiction that was forced upon him by the evil and greedy medical establishment. You should be forced to give up your land to the state for more homeless encampments and pay the opioid addicted individual for forcing him to steal from you!! It IS California after all!!!

comfisherman 10-15-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al the Infidel (Post 11639411)
Something to be said for a national facial recognition system to tap into like China. just sayin

Had a car stolen on, got video feed of it and an identity of the thief. Cops wouldn't press charges as the father of said thief had a good lawyer and our DA is so pathetic. Issue rarely is knowing identity, but the need for some kind of justice.

Keep the Chinese system out, keep your privacy, until there is actual Law enforcement no point in government spying.

fugawe 10-15-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia (Post 11639379)

I have the Nest home cameras. They notify me when they are triggered no matter where I am in real(4-5 second delay) time. I can pull up the camera's view from wherever I am. If I buy a subscription(about $10 a month) they will record everything, 24/7. They record very clear video in all conditions. They do require 120v power and WIFI.

1917-1911M 10-15-2019 01:40 PM

I'm with your guy JTJ. I was shooting at a deer....musta missed. Who would know anyway.

BIL, was a builder, kept a box loaded with tools behind the cab. Went into Home Depot....guy caught him and began asking questions about what plumbing he needed for a simple job. Long story short....saw my BIL get out of construction truck, followed him in, kept him busy while his buddies pulled up next to his truck and cleaned it out. Perp in the store had his phone with undoubtedly was on line to the perps in the lot and he would have warned them if my BIL was heading out of the store. I'm suspicious of everyone, even though I try to be helpful. Sad state of affairs. 1917

'ol shooter 10-15-2019 03:02 PM

Put an alarm in it and lock it when you're not in it, reality bites.

rc. 10-15-2019 09:40 PM

He tried to steal the car..... with my truck key set. I'm lucky he didn't notice my new 452 Varmint sitting on the passenger side of the truck and decide to walk off with it. I got very lucky he also left the keys......

Toomany22s 10-16-2019 07:27 AM

Sorry for your situation. It’s bsd enough that you lost some stuff, but the feeling of vulnerability is worse. Yes get a dog. Loyal and always got your back. According to Fbi stats crime is down. But that’s probably not true :mad: