RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winchester 52 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=265)
-   -   Winchester and Browning 52 Re-issue database (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418617)

kixonrt66 11-10-2011 10:44 AM

Winchester and Browning 52 Re-issue database

Hello All!

I was looking back at all of the threads having to do with questions we have all posed regarding the manufacture, serial number sequence, finish and barrel variations and different models of the 52 re-issue rifles. I though that once and for all we could begin to enter the known data that we have by starting a poll that answers each of these five questions about the re-issue rifles that we all own. It may serve to give us a better understanding of the time frame for the various serial number types as well as answering a few other questions. The five questions I would like to ask for those of us who own re-issue 52 rifles are:

1. Is your rifle a Winchester or Browning marked rifle?
2. What is your rifle's serial number?
3. Does your rifle have a glossy or satin finished stock?
4. Which variants do you have? (ie: pencil barrel, heavy barrel, Fajen stock, Utah Centennial, other ?)
5. When did you purchase your rifle and was the rifle new or used?

Please submit your data if you own one or more 52 Re-issue rifles so that we can begin putting this database together.

Many Thanks!

Kix

LongPlay 11-11-2011 04:36 PM

Kix, I will get you my info as soon as I can get back out of this freezer cabinet they call Canada!!!

I have 3 all Brownings. HOWEVER..... that last sneaky purchase you made is exactly what it would take to make me get one with that big W name on it!!

Hopefully I can finish this up here, turn the lights on for the rest of this tiny town with the fresh 30 megawatts of power, and get the heck out of here... The moose and hockey players are about to take over this little town!!!!

LP

blacktailslayer 11-11-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongPlay (Post 3712014)
Kix, I will get you my info as soon as I can get back out of this freezer cabinet they call Canada!!!

LP

Ya, and Texas is like a sauna for us!!:bthumb:

LongPlay 11-12-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktailslayer (Post 3712443)
Ya, and Texas is like a sauna for us!!:bthumb:

Yeah, the locals up here are having a field day laughing at us wimps in this weather! It is really not cold for them. Still in the low 20's early and up to or even above freezing during the mid day.... but this wimpy Texan freezes up solid around 45 to 50 F and I am getting too old to have thermal changes like this played out on this worn out body!!!

How the heck do they shoot in this cold.... and I know they do. Lots of good shooters from up here!!
:o

kixonrt66 11-12-2011 02:19 AM

Weather

Hello all,

Albuquerque is really nice right now. The temps during the day are in the 50's and the night time lows are in the 30's and 40's. It's also very dry right now and we've had only a hint of snow. There is some snow dusting the top of the mountains, but it will be several weeks before we get any significant snow in town. New Mexico weather is really comfortable!

Kix

gewehrfreund 11-12-2011 08:06 AM

Kix,
Here's my data:

Winchester (USRA) sn BS3171, satin finished stock, standard barrel
I purchased this rifle used about 10 years ago and it came with a Lyman 48WH receiver sight and banded front sight, obviously aftermarket additions.
Lance

NVaVettes 11-12-2011 09:15 AM

Zander's "heavy-ish barrel" 52B

My gun has serial number 10NP800163x.

It is roll-marked as a Winchester, has a muzzle diameter of .676 inches and has the flat but recessed crown.

It does NOT have the barrel band screw in the middle diamond checkering on the forearm.

The receiver is D&T'd AND grooved for tip-off rings and it has the regular "B" style stock.

I believe that the NP indicates that the receiver was made in 1998.

kixonrt66 11-12-2011 11:06 AM

Data

Great Information Folks!

Let's keep it rolling! I especially appreciate all the added touches like the sights information or if your rifle has the front end barrel screw and if the receiver is grooved. These items are not part of the original five questions but this information is very helpful. I know that the Browning marked variants did not have the forend barrel screw and I was pleased to learn that the HB variants also do not have this feature. As far as I can tell the HB's are the only variants with a grooved and D&T'd action.
I am not aware of any re-issue that came with factory iron sights. It seems like I remember someone saying that they had a rifle that came with factory front and rear peep sights...does anyone know about this?

Thanks folks! Keep it up and we'll build a reference database for sure!:bthumb:

Kix

ARKLITE 11-12-2011 02:47 PM

Browning Mod 52 Ser #04970NZ496 Pencil barrel, high gloss stock , Browning bases, purchased used.

Thomasm 11-12-2011 06:55 PM

Browning 00729NZ496 Sporter Bbl. semigloss finish. I bought it new in NE. when they first came out.

Winchester BS0571 same specs same seller bought new in 2004 or around then.

Both have Leupold "Alaskan" scopes, Browning has Browning marked mounts, Winchester has Burris marked mounts.

Didn't we do this once befor ?

ibboatin28 11-12-2011 07:13 PM

We need to make this a "sticky" in the 52 section.

kixonrt66 11-12-2011 07:41 PM

Sticky?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibboatin28 (Post 3713597)
We need to make this a "sticky" in the 52 section.

I agree. Here is the information on my six rifles

#1. Browning standard barrel serial number 00489NZ496, satin finished wood, purchased used in 2009. This rifle does not have a forend screw as is typical of the Browning marked rifles. This is an early rifle with a serial number under 500. With original box, papers, Browning marked magazines, Browning marked Burris scope bases, etc. Made 1991.

#2. Winchester standard barrel serial number 10NR802267 satin finished wood, purchased used in 2010. This rifle has the forend screw. This rifle has spectacular fiddle back wood. Some have said that it may be a special order rifle with upgrade wood. I don't know if this is true or even if this was an option on these rifles. One thing for sure, whether the rifle was a special order item or if it was just luck of the draw, the wood on this example is spectacular and highly unusual. With original box, papers, Burris scope bases, etc. Made 1997.

#3. Winchester standard barrel serial number 10NP800472, satin finished wood. This rifle has the forend screw. Purchased used in 2011. This is also an early rifle from the NP series with a serial number under 500. With original box, papers, Leupold scope bases, etc. Made 1998.

#4. Winchester Heavy Barrel special order rifle from the Zander's run, serial number 10NP801870. Gloss finish wood, heavy barrel variant, grooved and D&T'd action, no forend screw. Purchased used in 2011. Recessed barrel crown, slightly more polished barrel and action, deep blue, original papers only, no box. Rifle came with Weaver scope bases but these have been changed to Burris bases. Made 1998.

#5. Winchester standard barrel serial number 10NP801312 satin finished wood. This rifle has the forend screw. Purchased near the end of 2012 from and individual. Rifle came with original box, papers, magazine, lock, etc. Mint condition. Made in 1998.

#6. Winchester standard barrel serial number 10NR800018 satin finished wood. This rifle has the forend screw and has a very early serial number for the NR series. Purchased in April of 2013 from a local gun shop. The rifle is unfired, in the original box with papers and magazine. Mint condition. Made in 1997.

Well folks, there is my 52 Re-issue stable. Add your info when you can so that we can create this database.

Kix

blacktailslayer 11-13-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongPlay (Post 3712635)
Yeah, the locals up here are having a field day laughing at us wimps in this weather! It is really not cold for them. Still in the low 20's early and up to or even above freezing during the mid day.... but this wimpy Texan freezes up solid around 45 to 50 F and I am getting too old to have thermal changes like this played out on this worn out body!!!

How the heck do they shoot in this cold.... and I know they do. Lots of good shooters from up here!!
:o

My avatar picture was a -25C bow kill, **** tough bowhunting in super cold weather!!!!

n64atlas 11-13-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktailslayer (Post 3714119)
My avatar picture was a -25C bow kill, **** tough bowhunting in super cold weather!!!!

At least it was fresh frozen before you got it home :) :frostyang

GMiller0737 11-13-2011 07:55 PM

Here is the info on Mine
Browning
S/N 00089NZ496
Satin Finished Stock
Pencil Barrel
Purchased New when they 1st came out, My Dealer used to get Serial # 89 on all the Limited Edition Brownings I also have the Model 12 28ga #89