RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marlin - H&R - NEF (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   H&R Model 12 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173147)

firedontherim 10-01-2019 04:55 PM

H&R Model 12

Hi Folk's, I found one of these today for $395 + tax. It dates to 1981 with a AX prefix-from what I could find out. Stock has some handling wear, bluing looks pretty good. The bore & bolt look really good.It has all four mounting blocks & rear side mount but no sights. Hope I didn't do too terribly bad. I have a question, I found a place that has a Lyman 90 MJT rear sight & 93 match globe front. Will these sights work on this gun? Thank's for any help-Dave

dgapilot 10-01-2019 09:04 PM

I think I paid about $500 for my M12, so Id say you did ok. Peep sights were Redfield Palma and Olympic front. I have an International on the back of mine with an Olympic on the front.you may have to play around to find blocks that will work with the Lyman sights. I also have a Redfield 3200 scope for mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shamokinbob 10-01-2019 09:19 PM

11 Attachment(s)
I think you got a good deal, I know for sure someone can help you picking the right sights for this that are better than what came with it

firedontherim 10-02-2019 10:22 AM

Thank's Folk's, I could use all the input I can get. This type of Rifle is new to me-Dave

firedontherim 10-18-2019 05:56 PM

Hi Folk's, after some research & figuring my 60 yo eyes weren't up to it anyways-I gave up on trying to find original sights. Probably too expensive anyways. I did clean up the stock with mineral spirits & 0000 steel wool. Then applied boiled linseed oil-looks completely different.Cleaned the bore & bluing also. I then installed a EGW rail, found some gloss blue Burris rings and bought a excellent condition Luepold gloss blued straight 12 power scope off a member here. Now to see what she'll do-Dave

chuckbiscuits 10-18-2019 07:17 PM

Dave,
Did your M12 come with the sight mounting block attached to the left side of the receiver? These rifles originally came with Redfield Palma rear sights with a Redfield Olympic front globe sight. Not 100% sure on the front, but I KNOW they came with the Palma rear. That being said, Redfield Olympics, Internationals or Palmas should bolt right up the the receiver block. Try hitting the gun shows to find a set of sights that are not TOO overpriced.

Also, just for clarity, it is not a Model 12, it is an M12.

Happy shooting and congrats on what sounds like a great deal!

Oldevo 11-10-2019 08:04 AM

Sounds to me like you did well. It's probably been said before but the M12 is vastly underrated. The M12 I bought a couple months ago shoots as well as my Anschutz 1407. Lapua Polar Biathlon gives 3/4" groups at 100 yards, in good conditions. Another club member has two M12's and gets similar results when I badger him into using some good ammo.

I also mounted a scope using the 0 MOA EGW rail and am very happy with it. With the 10 MOA offset inserts in Burris Signature rings I have plenty of adjustment available for 100 yards.

Yes, the Redfield International front sight is stock along with the Redfield Palma on the receiver. With Lee Shaver inserts I think those Redfield peeps are as good as it gets. Once I finish testing ammo I will remount the peeps and I and a few other old timers will show those AR whippersnappers how it's done.

DLS 11-17-2019 12:23 AM

Can someone post photos of the front and rear sling swivels that came with the rifle. I have a dozen or so sets of swivels off of a number of guns.

They were all in individually labeled drawers in an old plastic storage box. One of my boys asked if he could use the box. I said yes but to put the swivels (and other small parts) into coin envelopes and label each envelope. He just mixed everything up.

So I have swivels for an M12, Rem 541X, Rem 40x, Mossberg 500, Win 52 rifles and some others. I'd like to separate them and identify them back to the correct gun. So pictures would be so very nice.

By the way, you did great on your purchase and will love the rifle. I can keep mine easily under an inch at 100yds with mid-range match ammo.

strangms 11-17-2019 03:11 PM

Here are some pictures, the one on the right is for the rear.

strangms

https://i.imgur.com/MnNEBzY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8i1EVpX.jpg

DLS 11-18-2019 12:59 AM

Perfect! Thanks so much, the confused pile is now a little smaller thanks to these pics.