RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rimfire Steel Challenge (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=489)
-   -   How do you practice? (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156269)

mcb2ms 03-31-2019 10:11 AM

How do you practice?

I shoot at a real nice private club range. They donít allow steel or reactive targets and understandably so. The question I have is how do you practice for Rimfire Steel Challenge or RCSA?

JHB51 03-31-2019 10:56 AM

What is wrong with using paper? It will even show were you are hitting.

mcb2ms 03-31-2019 06:01 PM

That’s what I was wondering. Do you set up multiple paper targets to simulate speed and left-right movement?

elkkiller 03-31-2019 08:56 PM

My range lets you use steel targets on a couple of ranges I built my own steel targets so I could get some practice, plus its just fun to shoot steel.

ms6852 04-01-2019 03:50 PM

Try using a target that has multiple silhouettes printed on it and try shooting all of them on one shot as fast as you can. Than you can change your pattern of shooting as you please like going left to right than down or top and bottom and left and so on.

JHB51 04-01-2019 04:16 PM

I don't practice for SC. When I shoot my clubs plate rack set at 15 yards for fun I use my S&W 642. After that using a full size 9 for SC is easy. I don't take shooting any type of competition that seriously any more.

Nolan 04-01-2019 05:12 PM

Paper plates work well for SC practice, it teaches you to call your shots better so you don't listen for the 'ding' before transitioning to the next target.

I staple brown cardboard (or USPSA targets) to target stands, then staple or tape a 6 or 8 inch white paper plate to the center of the brown target. Then arrange the target stands in the proper positions and distances for a SC stage, such as '5 to Go'. The brown cardboard backer lets you see where you are missing most frequently.

On stages like Smoke & Hope with the big rectangles I use a regular sheet of blank typing paper rather than a round paper plate.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do much practice for the last several years, so my local matches are my practice.

Nolan

Geo 04-03-2019 06:30 AM

steel challenge practisce

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones that can set up the stages at their range. When I can not get to the range I do some dry fire in my garage with the Steel shoot banners made by Ken Verderame. They hang on the wall and you stand 10 feet from them and they look exactly how the stage would look at the competition. They have been very helpful in my training. Not cheap, but the money you save in ammo and the time going to and from the range certainly make up the cost. You can buy all 8 stages or even just one stage. Stteel Shoot Banners!

Hoppes 04-03-2019 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would find another club.

BillDncn 04-13-2019 10:55 AM

I use 6" paper plates at 25yds spread out

Viper225 04-17-2019 12:51 AM

I like Noland's advice.
I would also recommend shooting Paper Plates smaller that the Steel Challenge Targets for the stage. OR reducing the size as you get better. Aim Small Miss Small is good advice.
Using cardboard silhouettes as a backer for the paper plates is also good advice. Like was said above you can see if you have a pattern to your misses.

Shooting Trap when I miss, it will most often be on a hard left bird that I shoot behind.

When you start trying to pick up the speed you will probably see a pattern show up on bullet impacts.

It is better to know that you were on target when you pulled the trigger, than listening for the ding. Listening for the ding is wasting time.

Just some observations

Bob R