RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winchester 52 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=265)
-   -   Accurate ammo for 1976 52E (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1133645)

ammohog 08-16-2018 11:02 PM

Accurate ammo for 1976 52E

The rifle is stock. Using a 36T dot, I have tried the SK+, Center X, and R-50. Much to my chagrin, the Center X did not perform very well. The Center X has done very well for other rifles, but not this one. However, the R-50 did very well with 5 shot groups, and repeatable. With the torque at 18 and 18 in/lbs, this seems to be the best so far. It is bedded. Anyone here with some experience with this rifle who has some recommendations about ammo that isn't so expensive?

newbie2 08-16-2018 11:05 PM

Try CCI SV. It does better in my 52 than Eley 10 X. I have no explanation for that. There are less flyers (probably me) but 10X groups are decidedly larger on average.
Does you stock have a "tuning" screw forward on the stock?

ammohog 08-16-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbie2 (Post 11131743)
Try CCI SV. It does better in my 52 than Eley 10 X. I have no explanation for that. There are less flyers (probably me) but 10X groups are decidedly larger on average.
Does you stock have a "tuning" screw forward on the stock?

Nope. But I didn't try the CCI SV, and I've got plenty of it. :t

pump .22s 08-17-2018 08:39 AM

Since I shoot my E in my club's bench competitions, I have spent a great deal of time experimenting with my anything that improves accuracy.....including with ammo. If you are going to try R50 in it, why not give Eley Match, Eley Tenex, and Lapua Midas + a try also. As with any gun, they are going to have a tendency to have their own preferences when it comes to ammo. I currently have stumbled into lots of Midas + and Tenex that shoot extremely well in this gun.

I shot these two targets with the E at our club 50 yard match last Saturday...

https://i.imgur.com/vLPjOw0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sry9kW7.jpg

If you want to know what your gun is capable of, then top ammo is the way to go......and if you can test different lots then even better.

If you must restrict your gun to mid-range ammo, then I would try a variety...SK, Eley, etc. CCI SV is my ammo of choice for plinking, hunting, etc., but you are not going to get close to your gun's accuracy potential with it. A 52E deserves better in my opinion and experience.

But, it's your gun of course. It's just that restricting your gun to low cost ammo is sort of like buying a nice 60's Corvette and then having a mechanic putting a governor on the engine that restricts speed to 50 mph. :rolleyes:

gotafish 08-17-2018 11:00 AM

Reference ammo used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pump .22s (Post 11131983)
A 52E deserves better in my opinion and experience.

I am going to throw something out here for discussion in reference to the quoted comment.

I own two Winchester 52D models #111999D and #121133D. Is it the consensus that lets say #E122593 would probably be a better shooting rifle and that's why it would deserve using better ammo?

The reason I used the #E122593 serial numbered rifle is because per Seewin's data base it is the earliest one he has come across. Some of the early E's had D barrels and were not recessed at the muzzle. Just wondering in reality what is the main difference in the Winchester 52E that would make it a more accurate rifle than the Winchester 52D??

Flintlock28 08-17-2018 11:54 AM

Give RWS Target Rifle a try also.

pump .22s 08-17-2018 11:59 AM

Gotafish,

I guess to clarify my statement, I should say that a Winchester 52 deserves better than CCI SV. Now, this is of course an opinion....that goes without saying. As far as the 52E being inherently more accurate than a D or preceding model, I can't say. My E is probably the most accurate of my guns, but that's not a definite. The D and B will challenge it on a given day. But my E is the early version without the recessed crown or drilled and tapped receiver, though it did come with the E stock sans tuner screws. SN 122832.

My guess, and I say "guess" because like most folks, I don't have enough samples to make a definite statement, is that there is basically no difference between the D and E in accuracy over a large sampling. Fact is, I think my B may be equal in accuracy to either the D or E. With a D type trigger, I have no doubt it would be.

One thing that may or may not make a hill of beans difference......the E models are the latest models and hence have had less opportunity for the accumulation of things that would be detrimental to accuracy.....as will occur over time on the average. So, if the E is indeed more accurate, perhaps that is a factor......or not.

One thing is for sure, with good ammo, these guns can be very accurate.

pump .22s 08-17-2018 12:19 PM

I'm not sure why, but I recently installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 7. Now I'm getting double spacing in my posts on RFC. :confused:

dokey 08-17-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotafish (Post 11132107)
Reference ammo used.

I am going to throw something out here for discussion in reference to the quoted comment.

I own two Winchester 52D models #111999D and #121133D. Is it the consensus that lets say #E122593 would probably be a better shooting rifle and that's why it would deserve using better ammo?

The reason I used the #E122593 serial numbered rifle is because per Seewin's data base it is the earliest one he has come across. Some of the early E's had D barrels and were not recessed at the muzzle. Just wondering in reality what is the main difference in the Winchester 52E that would make it a more accurate rifle than the Winchester 52D??

Hey Sunny, how's your voice doing?

gcrank1 08-17-2018 02:54 PM

Last Sat. I had a chance to shoot a friendís well used ex-club gun 52C c/w a 20x STS at 50yd.
I casually bench tested two ammoís, Wolf Match Target that he has been happy with for several years and a new lot of the SK Rifle Match (he sourced from Grafís within the past month). The gun had been recently cleaned and was seasoned with the Wolf. We ran one damp solvent patch and 3 dry then I shot 10rds of the SK. I was going to do 20 but the bullets were going right were I pointed the thing so I went for group. The SK did half the size 10 shot group of the Wolf.
We were impressed and he has ordered more SK; can only hope the next lot will be as good.

wfoss 08-17-2018 03:23 PM

I have found pre 2003 winchester T-22 works well in my E international. Many comments at the range but for me and the E it works. And at ~ $2.80 a box I can shoot lots of it
Walter

M52E1 08-17-2018 04:15 PM

Here are my thoughts:

Ammunition

- Test the best ammunition you can reasonably afford in quantities
- If you decide to purchase off the shelf without testing then it will be "hit or miss"

Testing

- Seek to test ammunition at either 50 yards or 100 yards or both
- Testing at 25 yards is a complete waste of time
- I recommend shooting ten shot groups
- I recommend testing with a scope and not irons unless you have considerable experience shooting iron sights
- If you can, send your barreled action to either Eley or Lapua for testing as in my experience they offer the most objective results
- Test using what is most comfortable for you - bench, prone using sling
- Have reasonable expectations - If you are testing at 100 yards setting a goal of .75 is about the best you can expect when shooting 10 shot groups.

Rifle

- Make sure the barrel is properly cleaned (Bore snakes are worthless)
- I believe in using a bronze brush when cleaning - barrels are meant to be replaced unless you are a collector
- I recommend that you clean the barrel with IOSSO or JB Bore Paste to eliminate lead and fouling build-up
- Consider replacing the firing pin spring if it has never been replaced or has seen extensive usage
- Ensure consistent torque values on each bedding screw
- Make sure the trigger is properly adjusted and repeatable
- If the rifle has seen considerable use, you may want to have someone borescope the barrel before testing. A worn barrel should be replaced and most likely will only frustrate you when testing

Stock Tuners
- Not a big believer in them as they are either "On or Off." Barrel tuners are much more repeatable and have a much better track record in benchrest, prone and position shooting.
- You might want to try a mid barrel tuner which when properly placed on the barrel via testing can produce some really nice results

Bill

SBS 08-17-2018 06:14 PM

You will find that the cheaper the ammunition, the more variable in quality the different lots are. IF you find a lot of cheaper ammo that really shoots, buy as much as you can of this lot. Better ammunition is more consistent lot to lot, particularly off the same machine (Eley lot numbers indicate the machine they were loaded on).

Rick H. 08-17-2018 06:31 PM

Bill: Why do you say testing at 25 yards is worthless? For quite sometime I test at 25 yards first to "cull the herd" so to speak. If the ammunition I am testing works very well at 25 yards then I take it out to 50 for phase 2 testing. If it doesn't do well at 25 yards then I save some time for myself and steps to and from 50 yards and cease further testing on that lot or brand of ammunition. I can almost always tell at 25 yards if the ammunition I am testing is worthwhile taking out further.

Rick H.

varmit hunter67 08-17-2018 07:02 PM

I'm just an old codger that grew up on blue collar wages, but was still a degree'd type person. I still like to do the best I can without spending money I don't have or feel I can do the same with something less expensive.

I have just had very good targets with Aquilla SE HV. Looking at a lot of the targets
presented, I think I have done as well without buying the high priced spreads.

VH :oman: