RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Single Six (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=264)
-   -   Unreasonable pawn (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161899)

Tailhunter 05-25-2019 06:55 PM

Unreasonable pawn

Found a SS at a local pawn shop. Very dirty with a little more than average wear but the price was right considering it only had the magnum cylinder. So I ask them to remove the trigger lock so I can properly inspect it. They say no, company policy the lock must stay on. I try to explain to them why I need it removed. I`m standing there with my three year old grandson, pretty sure I don`t look very threatening. Then they tell me if I do buy the gun I have to wait 5 days instead of the three day waiting period required by the state "company policy" again. They tell me if I find anything wrong with the gun I can return it. Dose anyone here think it would be a good idea to buy from these people?

Pete44ru 05-25-2019 07:24 PM

Nope....:shakehead

Remember: You can't change other people, you can only change the way you think of them.

In this case, I would think that they are best avoided.

Bigdog357 05-25-2019 07:30 PM

I wouldn't shop there, to many guns and places to buy them available that don't have ridiculous policies

JTJ 05-25-2019 07:31 PM

Totally unreasonable. I would not deal with them.

Ferox34 05-25-2019 07:45 PM

another option

I might have shown them the cash, but said I ain't buying unless you remove the trigger lock so I can properly inspect it. Is the 5 day waiting period posted in the shop? If not, I would walk.

elohssa63 05-25-2019 07:46 PM

Leave skid marks. :dogrun:

Tailhunter 05-25-2019 08:12 PM

Yeah was no way I was going thru that for a dirty worn gun I would most likely have to fight them for a refund.

jon p 05-25-2019 08:46 PM

run fast

I wouldn't do business with that kind of shop. I have one pawn shop in my home town that does dumb stuff like this, I do not even go there anymore.

Preston-CLB 05-26-2019 01:53 PM

Your boots are made for walkin'. I am sure that if you look around, you could find a nice Single Six with both cylinders. It may cost more, but would be worth it. Good luck!
-P

Tailhunter 05-26-2019 02:42 PM

I did a little research as to the cost to replace the 22lr cylinder. Buying the cylinder and having it fitted with shipping would be around $175. I`m sure I will find a better gun and a better deal.

STEEL SHOOTER 05-26-2019 04:03 PM

pawn shop nair-do-wells

I would consider myself lucky for finding out what kind of people they are BEFORE spending my money with them!

supersharp 05-26-2019 04:36 PM

I wouldn't trust them .Chances are if you find something wrong with it they would only give you a store credit anyway .I don't like their policies. :(

aztarget 05-26-2019 04:53 PM

A classy place would of at least cleaned it first. I would run.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

flangster 05-26-2019 06:17 PM

Dick's Sporting Goods had a similar policy about their triggers. I patiently explained that a) the feel of the trigger was important to me, and b) that there was no way I was purchasing a firearm from a storefront without fully checking the function. After all, if I wanted to buy a firearm sight unseen there were/are plenty of online retailers with whom I could deal. They were firm and I took my business -- all of my business --- elsewhere. Problem solved. :)

jon p 05-26-2019 09:10 PM

same with academy sports

Quote:

Originally Posted by flangster (Post 11494049)
Dick's Sporting Goods had a similar policy about their triggers. I patiently explained that a) the feel of the trigger was important to me, and b) that there was no way I was purchasing a firearm from a storefront without fully checking the function. After all, if I wanted to buy a firearm sight unseen there were/are plenty of online retailers with whom I could deal. They were firm and I took my business -- all of my business --- elsewhere. Problem solved. :)

wont remove trigger lock.

ChefDuane 05-26-2019 09:18 PM

My local pawnshop (Plano Pawn) here in Plano, TX. will let you inspect a gun. The counter staff check it and clear before handing it to you. I bought a M'berg 715T from them. They are pretty rational folks and as long as you look respectable and like you know how to handle a firearm they don't have a problem with it.

Dick's - I hardly ever go in there. Cabela's - not since the discontinued their Veteran discount.

HUSHKABOOM 05-27-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aztarget (Post 11493957)
A classy place would of at least cleaned it first. I would run.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I have been in a lot of pawn shops and it seems like most of them put guns on the rack without cleaning them up.

jstanfield103 05-27-2019 01:41 AM

Word of moth is still one of the biggest advertising of businesses (local). People will get the word around soon enough and they will be out of business.

fourbore 05-27-2019 05:20 AM

If the price was right, sure, I would buy from them. People are getting spoiled with all the make nice polite people and customer is always right. When it comes to gun shops some of the best guns were often sold by the rudest old cigar smoking old curmudgeon who lack any of the social graces. it is just a pawn shop playing it safe. No biggie. Probably not gun people if they dont clean the guns and this can be a real edge for the buyer finding that 'special' deal.

Now, I understand the lock should come off to judge the timing and feel, but; it is a small risk with a money back guarantee. And even smaller risk on a ruger. FWIW, Ruger will supply any damaged parts for free. Probably fix it for free. You dont risk much on a single6. They are not replacing the cylinder for free. I mean worn or broken parts.

If you want a dual cylinder single-6 and this is missing a cylinder, I would not bother. I think a 22mag on single6 would be a great revolver, if you dont agree then IMHO, this is a waste of time.

Punkinhead 05-27-2019 06:35 AM

We have a farm store called Rural King around here that has good prices on guns but the same policy on trigger locks. I go elsewhere.

HiIlbillyfab 05-27-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkinhead (Post 11494419)
We have a farm store called Rural King around here that has good prices on guns but the same policy on trigger locks. I go elsewhere.

That must be a store to store policy, as our local RK isn't like that. They'll let you handle/inspect them without a lock.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

GTS225 05-27-2019 07:22 AM

Not that a FNG's opinion will mean a lot, I too, would walk.

As for Dick's, I didn't go there much at all, and after they decided to adopt the practice of age discrimination on a mass scale, without federal consequences, that decided that my shift list got another line longer.:mad:
Walmart is on that list, too.

Roger

Winnut 05-29-2019 02:47 PM

Like buying a used car and not being able to test drive it.
Kiss them G'day.

700PSS Shooter 05-30-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flangster (Post 11494049)

Well, Dicks is known to be anti-gun and its policies will have the desired effect, they will not have to sell them. Buy a gun in many of the big retailers and they practically perp-walk you to the door and hand you the gun as you leave. Some will not even allow you to buy the ammo at the same time.

coyoterro 05-30-2019 08:47 PM

you should post the name of the place every place I could, close them down.