RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shooting Accessories (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Best bore solvent (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123538)

NevRimfire 06-15-2018 09:57 PM

Nice shooting

ILIKE1022 06-15-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevRimfire (Post 11064362)
Nice shooting

Thanks.

bearcatter 06-16-2018 11:42 AM

Hoppe's No. 9 solvent and oil. It's been around over 100 years. There are lots of nice 50, 75, 100 year old guns that have never been touched by anything else.

I use bronze brushes and patches, basically alternating wet patch, brush, dry patch until I get a 99% clean dry patch. I clean after every session.

Vasquez956 06-16-2018 02:24 PM

The Hoppes 9 formula has changed over the years I believe. It is not the same as it was when hoppes 9 was at its peak.

C.C. 06-23-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasquez956 (Post 11065217)
The Hoppes 9 formula has changed over the years I believe. It is not the same as it was when hoppes 9 was at its peak.

Yes, that was one of my questions... is the "new" Hoppe's synthetic as good as the oooold #9?
I got a pint bottle of the new and improved elixir on sale, for what I thought was a good price. Should I have bought the "old" stuff, or maybe mix the old stuff & new 50-50, and live happily ever after?:bthumb:

gunsmith10367 06-23-2018 10:49 PM

Blame the EPA.............

when the EPA came along the make-up of most chemical formulations changed, not for the better I might ad. Gotta make things safe for the environment and consumers don't you know. Many components that made the formulations effective were scrapped and safer things were substituted.

ammohog 06-24-2018 09:09 AM

Order some Patches

The following has evolved over time. I usually use #9 and Butches, or Bore Tech Rimfire Blend, then C4. This post isn't about product, but procedure. Three wet patches with cleaner of choice, wet nylon brush 10-20 times, three more wet patches, then patch dry. Then 3 wet patches of carbon cleaner (Butches or C4), wet brush about 10-20 times, 3 more wet patches, then patch dry. If you are still getting "stuff" on your last patch, repeat current process. I know this may seem to be extensive cleaning, and not for the faint of heart. Using a borescope has led me to this and it works very well and lead and carbon are gone. I know I will get poo-poo'd by some who have an "easier way", and perhaps rightfully so. I only know one thing for sure........... The borescope doesn't lie. (This procedure does not apply to high quality lapped expensive target barrels.) You may get away with using a lesser method for a good while, but it will catch up with you eventually. That I know for sure. I know this sounds almost like the instructions on Rimfire Bore Blend, and you are right, they did almost hit the nail on the head. I wish there was a "one" solvent that removed all the usual suspects in a .22 barrel, but for now at least we have some that do work almost as well as a nickel's worth of leaded gas down the barrel and followed with some transmission fluid with a small torn rag tied to a string. Pass the coat hanger wire I straightened out, that rag is stuck again. Ha! Have fun storming the castle! ........ AH

NevRimfire 07-02-2018 06:02 PM

7/2/18 Update...used Gunzilla CLP to clean my CZ after shooting 300 22 lr rounds. Followed Gunzillas instructions to clean the bore...Gunzilla removed all fouling/crud in about half the time of my Hoppes 9 routine. Also used it to clean receiver area and breachface, extractor slots, bolt...removed all the fouling.

This is my new go to solvent and CLP. Safe on hands as well!