RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Buck Mark / Buck Mark Rifle / Challenger I, II & III / Medalist / International Medalist and No (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   "Boy, are you dumb or what?" (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488797)

chim 02-13-2013 09:57 PM

"Boy, are you dumb or what?"

I finally got to spend a little time at the range recently. Came to the conclusion I should shoot a lighter pistol for a while, so I put a 4" bull barrel on the frame I've been using lately and went out and sighted in last night. Durinig the range session, there were a few instances of the hammer following the slide forward. So when I got home it received the best cleaning I could give it without removing the parts from the frame. Had the barrel, grips and slide off. I removed the slide's internals and scrubbed and hosed everything with contact cleaner.

I verified the sear spring wasn't in the flipped position and didn't see anything that looked out of place. After work tonight - and prior to the match - I figured as insurance I'd do a little adjusting to the disconnector just in case the top was worn enough to prevent it from "disconnecting".

Put her back together and headed for the match. Got half way through the match and had the hammer follow the slide twice in two mags.

I violated one of my own rules to never trust a pistol that has been worked on without a good session for it to prove itself. I had convinced myself the problem was properly diagnosed and resolved.

There's a price to pay for being cocky:(

EDIT TO ADD: When I truly solve it I'll post what I found.

M2HB 02-13-2013 10:23 PM

I can't wait to hear what the problem was.

photoracer 02-14-2013 05:29 AM

There you go Chim. You know a problem is not fixed till it shoots clean at the range. Violated one of the cardinal rules of troubleshooting, diagnose, fix, then test. You realize a lighter gun requires a stonger more solid grip of the gun.

chim 02-14-2013 06:27 AM

I DID follow the rule.

The problem is I had the poor judgement to perform the test during a match because I was so anxious to try out the new configuration.

Limpwristing is something I wouldn't have associated with a sear not catching. Still won't. Besides, I'm 6-4, 277#, use a grip that's almost too firm most of the time and the pistol is wearing big Nill grips that fit me like a glove.

chim 02-15-2013 08:57 PM

Need to spend some time at the range to be sure but I think the problem was a weak sear spring and gritty crud. I first removed the slide and barrel so I could work/watch/feel the action. It felt like the gun spent a weekend at the beach (or IN the beach). Real gritty and the sear didn't snap into place like it should. I took it completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly with Eezox and shot some contact cleaner into the mainspring hole. Then applied a very minimal amount of moly-bearing oil to the metal to metal interfaces. When I reassembled it I replaced the sear spring with a new one. Felt a lot better and it seemed odd the trigger pull felt the same before and after.

M2HB 02-15-2013 09:01 PM

Let us know how it works. I'll bet that you have it fixed.

abner 02-16-2013 06:02 PM

Hello

HMMMMMMM Chim I can solve your problem very easy,............

BUY A MODEL 41

Have a great day......even tho I be ducking for cover!

Joe

M2HB 02-16-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abner (Post 4426477)
Hello

HMMMMMMM Chim I can solve your problem very easy,............

BUY A MODEL 41

Have a great day......even tho I be ducking for cover!

Joe

I think he has a 41 and he likes the BuckMark better.:bthumb:

abner 02-16-2013 06:21 PM

Hello

M2HB, I do not believe Chim has a 41, he never brought it along on one of our range trips. The only 41 present was mine, and yes we go round and round about which is better, that make the range sessions fun.

Fact is he has not tried my Challenger II yet I hope to remedy that soon!

Have a great day

Joe

chim 02-16-2013 09:58 PM

Maybe I can find some "wrong handed" grips for a Buck Mark and Abner will want to sell that 41.

M2HB 02-16-2013 11:35 PM

Well, if chim doesn't have a 41, I know that I do. It is a great shooter and probably better made than a BuckMark, but it doesn't seem to shoot any better. If it is slightly better for accuracy, which I can't verify with my skills, it certainly isn't as reliable. My 41 is finicky with HV ammo so I just stick with SV in it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...setcVGA003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Picture008.jpg
When I compare my BuckMark to my Medalist I realize how ugly the BuckMark really is.:D Maybe it is just that the Medalist is so good looking.

abner 02-17-2013 07:01 PM

Hello

M2BH I am sure that you know I am funin' with Chim. And his Brownings. We sorta do the same thing with revolvers, and he knows his revolvers rotate in the wrong direction. :) Mine start with the same prefix as the 41 and his is the "C" word.

I do not shoot any HV ammo in the 41 I just never did. It only sees CCI SV, Federal premium and Wolf Match Target. Been told by a friend that if it will not shoot the Wolf, sell it. :t

I do agree that the 41 and Belgium Brownings are on the same playing field. I am always looking for them at affordable prices, but ! I have a Challenger II and two other Buckmarks. the two newer ones are no where near the quality of the Belgium pistols, now that is just my opinion. Heck I even own some Rugers, so I am diversified.

Have a great day

Joe

chim 02-17-2013 10:18 PM

I always thought it would be neat to have a 41 but a couple things got in the way. First of all, some of the 41 shooters I see at the matches feel the need to put a stripe of lube on the top round of every magazine to make sure they work.

Second, I was seriously looking at one several years ago and had the chance to take it for a test drive. It wouldn't run on the CCI SV that ran very reliably in my Brownings. Had the same thing happen with a Beretta (think it was an 87 Gold?). Decided I didn't want either one.

PS: And yes, Abner is one of the really Good Guys

photoracer 02-18-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chim (Post 4421564)
I DID follow the rule.

The problem is I had the poor judgement to perform the test during a match because I was so anxious to try out the new configuration.

Limpwristing is something I wouldn't have associated with a sear not catching. Still won't. Besides, I'm 6-4, 277#, use a grip that's almost too firm most of the time and the pistol is wearing big Nill grips that fit me like a glove.

OK we can leave that out then. What ammo are you running?

chim 02-18-2013 06:34 AM

CCI SV is what keeps 'em tickng.