RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shooting Accessories (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A inexpensive bore scope. (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159057)

supersharp 04-26-2019 12:00 PM

A inexpensive bore scope.

Online I found an inexpensive bore scope called the Endosnake Viper 3.9 mm .It works off a smartphone It is priced under $60 .I was wondering if anybody has used one of these and it is it worth getting. Any information on this product would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

LtCrunch 04-26-2019 01:25 PM

Hi Supersharp, I guess it might be better than nothing but my experiments and experience with low end endoscopes leads me to recommend that you not purchase this and save your money for the Lyman digital ($200) or Hawkeye optical (starts around $600).

Here's the problem. You want to look sideways down the bore, not forward. Purpose designed firearm borescopes have a mirror that allows you to inspect the sides of the chamber and barrel. Endoscopes like what you point out above only let you see ahead of the camera. Some have slide on mirror attachments but then the probe diameter is bigger than .22.

Say you were inspecting the walls of a tunnel inside your vehicle with the side windows blacked out. You can only see the walls at a distance never up close. That's what looking at a barrel with that endoscope will be like.

Hope that makes sense.

Frank

supersharp 04-26-2019 02:32 PM

Crunch thanks for the feedback it makes perfect sense and that's why I posted looking for feedback exactly like you gave me .I would consider the Lyman but for me the Hawkeye is just too much $ but I know it's a great product.Thanks again for your explanation.:)

rbertalotto 04-26-2019 03:39 PM

I wrote an article on these inexpensive bore scopes. You can find it in the firearm section of my web page

www.rvbprecision.com

fwood 04-26-2019 07:19 PM

I actually ordered one though I've not received it yet. I'm not expecting results as good as a real borescope but I'll likely use it for other things too, as yet undefined. I did get confirmation on the order but shipping may take up to 3 weeks (suspect it is drop shipped from China but not positive of that.) I will post when I receive it. Ordered it on April 14.

fwood 04-26-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbertalotto (Post 11459085)
I wrote an article on these inexpensive bore scopes. You can find it in the firearm section of my web page

www.rvbprecision.com

Just looked at your review. Very nicely done. And I'll try your tips on improved illumination when I receive the 3.9mm Endosnake and I'll post up what I find. If I can view as well as the images in your review, I'll be happy.

jcc273 07-03-2019 08:26 AM

So, did anyone buy one of these? 3.9mm should work in a .17 or .177 barrel, but the site only talks about 'ar15' barrels. Will this fit .17 (4.5mm)?

-Jim