RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Pistols (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Mac1 1322 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222611)

onemountain 05-02-2021 08:06 PM

Mac1 1322

1 Attachment(s)
Good afternoon all!

I wasn't sure whether to post this under the air rifle or air pistol forum, but I decided to go with pistol because that's what this particular little gun started life out as: a Crosman 1322 "American Classic."

I have a Benjamin Ironside gas-spring air rifle in .22 caliber that, while powerful and relatively quiet for its power level, struggles to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. Seriously, it sucks. I've tried a zillion different pellets too. At 20 yards I can hold center mass on a crow and with a good artillery hold (or a tight hold!) and a good surprise trigger break I'm not suprised if I miss completely. With my CZ 455 at the same range (and iron sights) I'm going for the head without a second thought. (Before anyone chimes in with spring-piston airgun advice, I went through a serious airgun phase about 10 years ago- mostly spring-piston guns- and have never struggled with a gun as much as this one. I'm about 99% sure it's got a bad barrel or crown, but I can't access the crown due to the built-in non-user disassembleable suppressor, and operating it without said suppressor is a no-go.)

Consequently I've been looking for a replacement airgun, both for pest control (the Ironsides' intended task) and more recently just as something to shoot without burning through my ammunition– I live off-road/off-grid in Alaska, and ammunition is basically impossible for me to acquire right now.

I almost talked myself into a Benjamin Marauder pistol or rifle, but couldn't stomach the cost, especially given that I'd have to get a high-pressure pump and at least one tank to support the kind of shooting I'd like to do.

Enter Mac1 airguns semi-custom 1322. I liked the idea of a multi-pump pneumatic, both for self-sufficiency (no pump nonsense!) and the potential for being quiet (no piston noise!). I ordered one awhile back with all the internal fixin's, a 16" barrel and a "brake." I'm just going to call the "brake" what it is- a suppressor. I had a Crosman shoulder stock waiting for it to replace the pistol grips and convert it into a dandy little carbine. And by little I mean 35" long and 3 lbs, 7.9 oz according to my kitchen scale.

Regarding the "brake"/suppressor: it works. It works great. I'd rate this thing as 100% "backyard friendly." Dry-firing it full power indoors I'd say it's similar to a half-strength hammer tacker blow, but less sharp. Firing it at full power outdoors it sounds like a half-hearted hand clap. Standing off 30 ft and having someone else fire it I can hear the pellet hissing downrange.

I haven't even had a chance to sight it in yet, but just holding the same POA it's showing very promising casual offhand groups with HN Baracuda Hunters (18.21 gr). I generally shoot rimfires and airguns open sights, but I'm leaning toward putting a red dot on this cute little thing.

I'll report back later on this thread once I get a chance to properly accuracy test it. For now I'm just so excited to have such a quiet, handy little airgun, even if it's not particularly high-powered.

gcrank1 05-03-2021 06:50 PM

I Like It!
Been moving of late in the direction you have taken. Ive been a carbine fan for years anyway.
Now you have me chompin on the bit for my old early '80s Crosman 1377 to show up on my BiL's next visit. Then a shoulder stock & forestock set, and a ........

JEC 05-04-2021 01:26 AM

They are pretty much the 10/22 of the airgun world, and the uncurable mod madness awaits. Mine is sufficiently accurate to consistently pick off 1" targets in the limited 10-yard home "range" available to me.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1214677

onemountain 05-06-2021 12:19 PM

I've been shooting the Mac1 1322 for a couple days now, and a few impressions:

1) Man it's quiet!

2) The front sight seems a little big. It actually isn't, in the big scheme of things, but my standard for shooting iron-sights is a CZ 455 Ultra Lux, which has very long sight radius, so I'm a bit spoiled. This 1322 definitely has a a red dot or maybe a 2x scope in its future.

3) The pumping effort isn't as bad as I though it would be. That's a pleasant surprise.

4) I'm going to wait to shoot groups for record until I throw an optic on it, but things look very promising: just fiddling with the rear peep and shooting strictly offhand, I popped a mouse trying to raid my shed with it at 24 paces on the first shot this morning. I haven't been this excited for an airgun in awhile!

5) Did I mention it's quiet? The sound of the pellet hitting the mouse was louder than the sound of the shot.

6) I don't regret this purchase at all. I'm gonna shoot the snot of out of this thing :cool:

gcrank1 05-06-2021 02:59 PM

24 paces or 24 steps? It matters to a surveyor maybe more than the mouse ;)
Someone said a pump-up pneumatic is like a PCP with its own built-in pump; I thought that sounded about right. I just cannot talk myself into all that gear to shoot a true PCP......
Besides, I need the exercise since the gym went C-19

onemountain 05-06-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcrank1 (Post 12308571)
24 paces or 24 steps? It matters to a surveyor maybe more than the mouse ;)
Someone said a pump-up pneumatic is like a PCP with its own built-in pump; I thought that sounded about right. I just cannot talk myself into all that gear to shoot a true PCP......
Besides, I need the exercise since the gym went C-19

Paces! Once upon a time, I was an avid golfer, and my dliberate paces usually came out at about 147-148 for 150 yards... So I think you can fairly safely call 24 of my paces more or less 24 yards.

And yes, not having to deal with a pump or tanks is nice. The PCP I was looking at would've gotten 20-30 shots per fill. I like shooting sessions longer than that, even if it means pumping the carbine's forearm a bunch; I can still do so well away from infrastructure or without hauling a tank around. Just beware multi-pump pneumatics generally aren't nearly as powerful as PCPs...

gcrank1 05-06-2021 05:37 PM

Only 20-30 shots per fill; hmmm, I was just reading about a tuned up Crosman 2240 co2 pistol that got a solid 25-28 per cartridge (chrono'ed, that count with the bell-curve extremes eliminated).
Then I find out that tuned-up Crosman Custom Shop special is no more because they shuttered the CCS. :(
Even so, the 2240 has my interest because it too is user moddable, and Im a tinker'er; and Ive never had a co2 piece.......
But the Frugal in me doesnt care for having to buy propellant.