RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bench Techniques and Equipment (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Seeking Advise For Target Scope (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222579)

284wahoo 05-02-2021 03:26 PM

Seeking Advise For Target Scope

Hello, I've been shooting for decades, mostly hunting and sighting in. A little casual target shooting off the bench with sporter arms. I just acquired a dedicated target rifle, and am not certain what scope type I want to mount. I mostly shoot on private property where the range distance isn't restricted, however I expect most of the target shooting to be 25-50yrds.

I have a budget of $500. for a scope. I'm fine with buying second hand good quality optics. I don't really know exactly what scope configuration to search for. I can't say what style of target shooting, other than off a bench rest.

What makes the most sense to get? Fixed, variable? What power (range)? If I go fixed, what are the general limitations for parallax adjustment? I know variable scopes are available with an AO to address that, but how about the fixed power scopes? Do folks generally manually adjust the objective in close when it's not an AO scope?

Would like to hear recommendations for scopes within my budget, and considerations when searching one out.

Toomany22s 05-02-2021 07:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Modern Fixed magnification target scopes for 22 lr paper punching have AO, usually as a side focus. Thin cross hairs for a reticle. And a big objective lense, 50 mm or bigger. 24 x plus.

They a big and massive, and are made for a gun that will be shot from a good front rest and rear bag set up.

I have a 40 x Mueler, which while on the cheap side, is good enough for my purposes. https://muelleroptics.com/products/m...us-target-dot/

But mostly I use their 8 x32 variable scope https://muelleroptics.com/products/m...us-target-dot/
As it works fine for paper punching, but i can use it for other stuff too.

doclu60 05-02-2021 09:27 PM

AO and side focus are two totally different things, despite the above post. They both do the same thing, focus the reticle at different distances, but do it in a different way with different mechanics. For ease of use, side focus is preferable, IME. For your price point you can do much better than Mueller. I have had two Mueller scopes including the one posted here, which was junk and sold. The other, I still have and was better. Mueller is a crap shoot, get a good one, or get a bad one, you'll never know until you have it. Athlon has some nice choices, and are head and tails above Mueller in your price point. A nice used Weaver would also be on my list in your price range, but remember, they are out of business if something goes wrong with it. There are also some nice Sightrons out there for sale used. BTW: you may get more responses on the scope forum just below this one.

Scott

Toomany22s 05-03-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclu60 (Post 12304273)
AO and side focus are two totally different things, despite the above post. They both do the same thing, focus the reticle at different distances, but do it in a different way with different mechanics. For ease of use, side focus is preferable, IME. For your price point you can do much better than Mueller. I have had two Mueller scopes including the one posted here, which was junk and sold. The other, I still have and was better. Mueller is a crap shoot, get a good one, or get a bad one, you'll never know until you have it. Athlon has some nice choices, and are head and tails above Mueller in your price point. A nice used Weaver would also be on my list in your price range, but remember, they are out of business if something goes wrong with it. There are also some nice Sightrons out there for sale used. BTW: you may get more responses on the scope forum just below this one.

Scott

I agree , dont buy a used scope, could be someone passing on a piece of junk.

I have a bunch of Muellers, never had a bad one. But if i did, id send it back , with the receipt, which i keep in the box, cause they are still in business, and have a lifetime warranty for the original buyer.

When I was a stereo salesman, when people came in and said , I have X$ to spend, I always sold them something good under X$ , and then told them to take the extra money to the record store.

Point being , why spend all your money on a “ better” scope and then use cheap rings, a cheap rest , a cheap bench and cheap ammo?

BirdieBirdie 05-03-2021 08:13 AM

Sightron Sii, fixed 36, target dot. Will serve you well and in your budget.

ammohog 05-03-2021 08:19 AM

MIMAS? A used Leupold scope may be in your budget. I have a few that I bought used, and only had to send two to be fixed. Their lifetime warranty is fantastic. Cost me postage. Some of the range members have Mueller scopes, and they are happy with them. I have some Weaver 36T scopes new, some days I can see the dot better than others. The Sightron 36X has great reviews, and is probably in your price range. Good luck and have fun!

Lloyd S. 05-03-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclu60 (Post 12304273)

Scott

Er-uh-focusing the reticle is done with the focus ring surrounding the ocular (eyepiece) lens. You only have to do it once, and it does not change at different distances. AO, be it done at the objective lens or side turret, is used to adjust parallax.

In order to make a target scope recommendation, it's necessary to know what kind of target shooting it's for. The best scope for bench rest shooting at a fixed, known distance will to be very different from one chosen for tactical-style shooting at varying distances, for example.

doclu60 05-03-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd S. (Post 12304581)
Er-uh-focusing the reticle is done with the focus ring surrounding the ocular (eyepiece) lens. You only have to do it once, and it does not change at different distances. AO, be it done at the objective lens or side turret, is used to adjust parallax.

In order to make a target scope recommendation, it's necessary to know what kind of target shooting it's for. The best scope for bench rest shooting at a fixed, known distance will to be very different from one chosen for tactical-style shooting at varying distances, for example.

You are correct about the reticle, I should have said focus the image in the scope when referring to AO and side focus. On your other point, since the OP posted on a benchrest sub-forum, it not really out of the realm to think that was what he was asking about.

Scott

gcrank1 05-03-2021 10:28 AM

Ummm
"Mueller scopes.....one...which was junk and SOLD"
Really?

Rod Blackburn 05-03-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie (Post 12304549)

I have two of these & have had excellent results with them.

LtCrunch 05-03-2021 10:53 AM

Hi 284Wahoo, from your description of shooting style and given price point I would suggest something like this: https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diam...iflescope.html Street price is around $400

I think a variable power is much more likely to fit your needs. Vortex makes fine quality scopes in their mid and upper tiers and their warranty should you ever need it is superb. Something like this will suit a variety of target shooting scenarios from close to far.

If you were saying benchrest only, 25-50 yards, then sure, a fixed power would fit the bill but that's not what I'm reading between the lines.

Note: this is a Chinese scope but they're built to a high standard and deliver crisp views. I don't believe you would be disappointed.

Cheers,

Frank

284wahoo 05-03-2021 03:39 PM

Thx all for the suggestions. To reiterate, this scope is strictly for bench-rest, punching paper. Rifle is strictly for target/bench-rest shooting. Weighs over 12lbs when ready to go. Most shooting distances will be 25-50 yrds. Occasionally I might leap out to 100-200 for grins.

StevieNH 05-03-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtCrunch (Post 12304755)
Hi 284Wahoo, from your description of shooting style and given price point I would suggest something like this: https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diam...iflescope.html Street price is around $400

I think a variable power is much more likely to fit your needs. Vortex makes fine quality scopes in their mid and upper tiers and their warranty should you ever need it is superb. Something like this will suit a variety of target shooting scenarios from close to far.

If you were saying benchrest only, 25-50 yards, then sure, a fixed power would fit the bill but that's not what I'm reading between the lines.

Note: this is a Chinese scope but they're built to a high standard and deliver crisp views. I don't believe you would be disappointed.

Cheers,

Frank

I agree with Frank. Someone mentioned Athlon in an earlier post. In the sub-$500 range, both Vortex and Athlon make several very similar models and I have a few of each. IMO, Athlon tends to be a few bucks cheaper, while Vortex tends to have slightly better glass and, to me, a higher quality feel. Neither is vastly better or worse than the other, but I can detect differences. Take your pick of any of the recommendations here - just be sure the scope you choose has a parallax adjustment that will focus below 25 yds.

Gizmo60 05-03-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieBirdie (Post 12304549)

+1 :bthumb:

I use the same scope for 50yd bench and occasionally at 100yds.

StevieNH 05-04-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo60 (Post 12305241)
+1 :bthumb:

I use the same scope for 50yd bench and occasionally at 100yds.

The OP says he will be shooting between 25 and 50 yds. A 36x fixed power scope may not be the best choice at 25 yds. Does it even focus that close?