RimfireCentral.com Forums

RimfireCentral.com Forums (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Superstock Bolt Actions (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Moly-Fusion (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185761)

Al the Infidel 02-20-2020 01:26 PM

Moly-Fusion

Any of you old, err, experienced, SS guys use it on your rf's 10-12 yrs or so ago? How'd it hold up? Still using it? If memory serves Vincent used it on one.
I only used it on 4 cf's and a muzzleloader with good/great results but I have a lot of winter yet and thinking about using my old carefully hoarded stash on my rf's.

For those not in the know its not a powder coating but rather this- https://shootersolutions.com/molyfusion1.html

Vincent 02-20-2020 04:19 PM

I did not use it on 1 rifle. I used it on all my 10-22 rifles I built (6) and about 6-9 customer barrels in the shop I used to help at.

My opinion? It works.:D

crackedcornish 02-20-2020 04:32 PM

Some time back (like 15-20 years ago), after my father had been kidding us guys about small game hunting with high power scopes and heavy barreled rifles, my buddies and I got the idea of building some retro style .22's for our yearly group squirrel hunt.

So I bought a modified Ruger SS barrel from Skeeter27Red (who, as you may know, went on to become the founder of Rimfire Tech), that he claimed he had applied the treatment to..I don't shoot the rifle extensively or anything, but it groups the same today as when I first purchased it :D

I put the barrel in a slightly shortened (to make up for the shorter, rechambered barrel) laminate mannlicher stock with a little Bushnell Custom .22 4X scope (a 3/4" tube 4X was our set limit on magnification). I think it turned out to be a classy little rifle
https://i.imgur.com/9Ubq1Vc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ozbSixs.jpg

10rnds of SK Std + @ 50yds
https://i.imgur.com/IivQKPl.jpg

10rnds of Eley Sport @ 50yds
https://i.imgur.com/L28ZeoC.jpg

somewhere around here, I still have the stuff that was leftover from the kit that Skeeter sent along with the barrel...maybe if the accuracy ever starts to drop off, I'll dig out the kit and reapply some to the barrel :)

Al the Infidel 02-20-2020 05:26 PM

What did you guys use to plug up the chamber, clay?

Al the Infidel 02-20-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent (Post 11784401)
I did not use it on 1 rifle. I used it on all my 10-22 rifles I built (6) and about 6-9 customer barrels in the shop I used to help at.

My opinion? It works.:D

Good to hear from you and CC Vincent.
Nice shooting CC. :bthumb:

Did you guys heat your barrels before application also? Use hv between treatments?
Its 57˚ in my basement man cave and I'm still thinking how to warm em up w/o sticking em in an aluminum pipe warmed up by blowing a heat gun in the end like I did before. I don't want to run the risk of scratching the barrels putting em in n out of the metal pipe.

One of the reasons I'm gonna do a CZ UL is the squibs I'm getting using Quiets Segmented @ 710fps with hopes of more reliability for my clandestine pesky vermin termination. They kill the tree rats but good. The others are my 597-22 VQ barrel, and a CZ AT-ONE 22rf that needs a bit more break in.

Atonic 02-20-2020 08:41 PM

The theory is sound as far as the metallurgy goes.

How hot do you want the barrel? How about a 2" pvc pipe wrapped in an electric blanket? Or said pipe with a hair dryer blowing through it?

Al the Infidel 02-20-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atonic (Post 11784713)
The theory is sound as far as the metallurgy goes.

How hot do you want the barrel? How about a 2" pvc pipe wrapped in an electric blanket? Or said pipe with a hair dryer blowing through it?

Alas no pvc pipe that big in this abode. I'm trying to think of some way to do em all at once on the cheap, shoot em, clean, treat again, repeat. :rolleyes:
When I did my muzzleloader I got it a bit warm and the MF sizzled a bit when the swab hit the bore. :o

AzShooter 02-20-2020 11:08 PM

I used Molly Fusion on a lot of my guns years ago. I had no problems with a hot barrel especially in the summer here in Arizona.

The product works. I could tell a vast improvement in groups and it was much easier to clean the barrel after a range session.

I still have a little and should coat my pistol barrels with it.

Atonic 02-20-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al the Infidel (Post 11784779)
Alas no pvc pipe that big in this abode. I'm trying to think of some way to do em all at once on the cheap, shoot em, clean, treat again, repeat. :rolleyes:
When I did my muzzleloader I got it a bit warm and the MF sizzled a bit when the swab hit the bore. :o

A 2"x5' pvc pipe is $5 and change, before your discount. It will stand up to the 140 you need, but not much more. A hair dryer will get you there, barely, if it is big enough.

How about sticking the barrel in your grill? Or are you planning to do this with the rifle intact?

Al the Infidel 02-21-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atonic (Post 11784889)
A 2"x5' pvc pipe is $5 and change, before your discount. It will stand up to the 140 you need, but not much more. A hair dryer will get you there, barely, if it is big enough.

How about sticking the barrel in your grill? Or are you planning to do this with the rifle intact?

My grill isn't that big nor that clean. :eek:
Looks like a piece of pipe will need to be procured and employ a thermometer for a close monitoring of the adjustable heat gun temps, this time.
I'll be leaving the scopes on so as not to lose zero too much if at all.

Al the Infidel 02-21-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzShooter (Post 11784871)
I used Molly Fusion on a lot of my guns years ago. I had no problems with a hot barrel especially in the summer here in Arizona.

The product works. I could tell a vast improvement in groups and it was much easier to clean the barrel after a range session.

My do it all Rem 700 25-06 was a laser after lapping and Moly. I hated to let it go to a friend for 75yds or less deer hunting... Ferrari for grocery shopping eh? :D

Atonic 02-21-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al the Infidel (Post 11785095)
My grill isn't that big nor that clean. :eek:
Looks like a piece of pipe will need to be procured and employ a thermometer for a close monitoring of the adjustable heat gun temps, this time.
I'll be leaving the scopes on so as not to lose zero too much if at all.

Careful. Heat gun can melt the pvc.

OH, if you are thinking meal pipe, look at chain link fence post.

Vincent 02-22-2020 09:06 AM

I heated mine in the oven.The barrel does not need to be that hot! just hot enough that you need a mitt to handle it, just too warm to pick up with bare skin. If you get the barrel so hot you hear a sizzle upon application you have gone too far in my opinion.

Also, on a rimfire barrel, forget blocking the chamber. No harm done by getting it in the chamber.DO NOT GET IT IN A CENTER FIRE CHAMBER. Doing so can increase bolt thrust.

Al the Infidel 02-22-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent (Post 11786155)
If you get the barrel so hot you hear a sizzle upon application you have gone too far in my opinion.

It was an accident I tell ya, an accident! I didn't mean to, really! :D
My mancave is 58˚ @ present and the temp I'm gonna apply will be around 115-120˚F. I have more left than I thought which will do for all I hoped for.

Lands on the CZ crown were a bit factory smeared so I got that fixed and hopefully will get the first app on tomorrow.

Al the Infidel 02-25-2020 07:36 AM

1st dose applied via the wife's hairdryer, 1/2 doz Velocitors put thru the stockless 28.6" barrel into the basement/mancave testing target. Today I'll use a heatgun with less thumb twiddling waiting. I always have stuff to do there but kinda forget about time so I'll be watching, touching the receiver, carefully, while I wait.

ETA- I re-crowned the muzzle first via the brass screw and carbide paste, as the factory job had some lands' smearing and gouging.