Adjusting the Walther Rifle Match Trigger - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2016, 03:36 PM
South_Pender's Avatar
South_Pender

Join Date: 
Jan 2015
Location: 
Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 
1,427
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Adjusting the Walther Rifle Match Trigger



Log in to see fewer ads
It appears that the trigger on my Walther KK-MS is very similar (identical?) to that on Penage Guy's KKM. Mine currently sits at about 9 oz. and is crisp. However, I'd like to reduce the weight if possible for bench shooting. Here are a couple of pics of my trigger:



I purchased my KK-MS used, so didn't get an owner's manual with it. Can someone on this forum tell me (a) whether the trigger can be adjusted to a lower weight and (b) if so, how to do so. I could tinker and do the trial-and-error thing, but would rather proceed knowing what I'm doing.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2016, 05:59 PM
patchett

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Posts: 
394
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The large cylindrical screw ahead of the trigger is the weight adjustment. CCW to reduce and CW to increase. The screw behind that is the free travel for the amount of first stage. Use the same direction for adjustment. The screw angled in to the front of the trigger blade is for sear engagement. It is adjusted at the factory for optimal engagement and recommended to be not adjusted.
A manual is available here - choose the Walther KK manual
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...GL3m7v7tD1sSig

Last edited by patchett; 05-14-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2016, 07:12 PM
South_Pender's Avatar
South_Pender

Join Date: 
Jan 2015
Location: 
Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 
1,427
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
The large cylindrical screw ahead of the trigger is the weight adjustment. CCW to reduce and CW to increase. The screw behind that is the free travel for the amount of first stage. Use the same direction for adjustment. The screw angled in to the front of the trigger blade is for sear engagement. It is adjusted at the factory for optimal engagement and recommended to be not adjusted.
A manual is available here - choose the Walther KK manual
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...GL3m7v7tD1sSig
Thanks, patchett for the advice and the link to the Walther manual. I've downloaded and printed it out. There's a nice explanation with a good picture on Page 25.

Wow, what a great trigger! I backed the weight adjustment screw way off (I discovered it turns in steps) and got the pull weight down to about 3.5 oz. on my Lyman digital trigger gauge--about as low as I want to go. I didn't touch the other two screws and won't go near the sear engagement screw. So just a fabulous trigger for the use I have for the rifle. Perfectly crisp and now very light. It would have to compare favorably with the Anschutz 5018 and 5020 triggers.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 PM
South_Pender's Avatar
South_Pender

Join Date: 
Jan 2015
Location: 
Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 
1,427
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Although not related to the topic of this thread, one thing I've noticed about this Walther action is just how smooth and easy to operate it is. I don't know whether the camming geometry is different from that on the Anschutz 54 action--or maybe the bolt lift is slightly greater (it appears to be about 65-70)--but the cocking and closing effort is much less than on my 1700-series Anschutz rifles. Maybe Walther just did a better job of hardening and polishing the cam surfaces. It has the ease and smoothness that the pre-64 M70 Winchesters were famous for.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 PM
patchett

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Posts: 
394
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with you on how smooth the bolt functions. A touch of synthetic grease on the lugs will smooth it even further and make almost an effortless bolt closure. A little in the cocking cam also. The bolt handle definitely contributes to the feel as well as the lugs have larger chamfered engagement edges than the Anschutz 1700s.

My KKMS has over 100,000 rounds through it and still holds MOA at 100m. A weakness I have found and written about previously is the firing pin and spring assembly and the single extractor. I don't know if you've had your bolt apart but care should be taken when removing the bolt tail piece and prevent the loss of spring and plunger and from overstressing the striker spring locating fork. If it overflexes laterally it may stress and break the bent stamping of the fork.
I believe Walther realized these deficiencies and they have incorporated the changes into the KK200, KK300 and now the KK500.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

Join Date: 
Apr 2011
Location: 
East Bethel, Mn.
Posts: 
5,841
TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I was hoping you'd show up Andrew. I'd just vote to have all your posts go automatically into your own Walther rifle sticky here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2016, 10:28 PM
patchett

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Posts: 
394
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblades View Post
I was hoping you'd show up Andrew. I'd just vote to have all your posts go automatically into your own Walther rifle sticky here.
Thanks Scott
I just hope I can contribute back to the community for all that I've gained from it over time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2016, 11:05 PM
South_Pender's Avatar
South_Pender

Join Date: 
Jan 2015
Location: 
Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 
1,427
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchett View Post
I agree with you on how smooth the bolt functions. A touch of synthetic grease on the lugs will smooth it even further and make almost an effortless bolt closure. A little in the cocking cam also. The bolt handle definitely contributes to the feel as well as the lugs have larger chamfered engagement edges than the Anschutz 1700s.

My KKMS has over 100,000 rounds through it and still holds MOA at 100m. A weakness I have found and written about previously is the firing pin and spring assembly and the single extractor. I don't know if you've had your bolt apart but care should be taken when removing the bolt tail piece and prevent the loss of spring and plunger and from overstressing the striker spring locating fork. If it overflexes laterally it may stress and break the bent stamping of the fork.
I believe Walther realized these deficiencies and they have incorporated the changes into the KK200, KK300 and now the KK500.
That's very useful information, patchett. Is there a reliable repair service for these older Walthers--like Earl's Repair Service, maybe--in case something breaks?

What problems occur with the single extractor? I guess I'd rather have the twin extractors as on the Anschutz 54s, but mine seems to extract fine (and ejection is positive too).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 PM
patchett

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Posts: 
394
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by South_Pender View Post
That's very useful information, patchett. Is there a reliable repair service for these older Walthers--like Earl's Repair Service, maybe--in case something breaks?

What problems occur with the single extractor? I guess I'd rather have the twin extractors as on the Anschutz 54s, but mine seems to extract fine (and ejection is positive too).
No real issues with the extractor but not as dependable over time.
Earl's may be the last option for parts for these. When he runs out who knows.
I'm in your neck-of-the-woods over on Vanc. Isl. and I did contact Joe Dlask of Dlask Arms to make a firing pin. He was receptive but I didn't pursue it.

It's an unfortunate fact that these older target rifles of any marque become less and less supported by the manf. and owners are faced with their inevitable obsolescence. It's fascinating to keep them purring.

Imagine what the fate might be in 30 years of the current Alutec stocked rifles of
Anschutz, Walther, FWB , Bleiker and others.

Without getting too sentimental I feel privileged that I've had the opportunity to own and shoot many of them. There's still a few that are on the list.

Last edited by patchett; 05-15-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2015 RimfireCentral.com
x