Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The JoeBobber - Another Idea for a Youth Stock

A while back I got a PM from JoeBobber asking me to mentor him on mounting a cheek piece on a stock that he and his young son are working on. You may have seen his thread down in the Superstock Forum. I sent him some ideas... a few pictures of an alternative shape for the cheek piece and suggested routing a flat place for the add-on cheek piece.

I realized that I was giving advise on something that I hadn't actually tried myself. Feeling unusually ambitious, I got out a carbine take off stock and gave it a try, hence the name for this stock. I didn't want to waste the stock so I whipped up a quickie design. The cheek piece add-on worked out just fine, but the interesting part was actually working out the stock design on the fly.

I had a simple design in mind, so before doing any milling for the cheek piece I laid out the pattern on the butt stock. I decided to shorten the stock to fit a child by creating a crescent shaped butt plate profile while eliminating the mortise for the factory butt plate tab on the top of the comb. This left a 12" LOP. I later made a curved butt plate from a piece of kydex material that I had on hand. You can heat and form this stuff and it will maintain its shape afterwards.

Since I had decided to make it a straight grip I cut off the grip cap to ease mounting in the jig.

I mounted the stock in a jig and routed out a flat place.

My version of the idea I had proposed... a flat with the add-on cheek piece in place.

The flat milled out and crescent butt cut made.

I shaped the cross section of the butt stock prior to gluing up the add-on cheek piece.

I shaped the cheek piece and slimmed down the forearm, leaving it full length, shown here with the barreled action from my Tribute to the Old West build.

Although I had slimmed down the forearm I decided that it was still a little too clunky. Taking some inspiration from the Talo Classic, I formed a step in front of the takedown screw and further slimmed down the forearm.

The completed stock shown with a CRR barreled action mounted.

The crescent shaped butt plate profile.

I had originally intended to paint this stock, but I had only used a few dabs of Bondo to form a fillet under the cheek piece and to fill a small void where I had formed the relief cut for the cheek piece add-on. I just hated to paint all this natural wood. Bondo doesn't normally lend itself to a stained finish. I found that Minwax Gel Stain in Antique Maple was fairly close to the color of the Bondo, so I decided to give it a try.

Birch can be hard to stain without blotching. Before applying the first coat of gel stain I liberally treated the stock with Minwax Pre-stain Wood Conditioner. I let the first coat of gel stain cure for a couple of days and applied a second coat. It came out looking fairly good, not perfect, but much better than I had expected.

I let the stain cure for an additional two days and applied two coats of Minwax Semi-gloss Polyurethane spray. I let the poly cure for three days and then sanded the nubbies with 320 grit sandpaper and applied another two coats of polyurethane. I already gave you a teaser at the opening of this thread, but here are a few more pictures after four coats of poly.

Last edited by Hipshot; 04-24-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the simplicity and elegance of the lines, well done!!!!! My kind of stock
Old 04-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Nosnil22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Outstanding work and what a great write-up (as usual)!!
Glad to see ya back in the shop.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Great job
Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hipshot goes Classic

Hipshot goes Classic. Turned out very nicely. I am sure Joe will be impressed and if he has a router he can try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-24-2014, 03:57 PM
JoeBobber

TPC Rating: 
99% (72)
HOLY COW LARRY! THAT IS AWESOME! I got mine done but I can't use a router, so I used my wood chisels for carving and cut out the spot and got rid of the screws and got it glued in. I will have pics of my sons build soon. He is busy polishing brass. I had to go to Wadena, Minnesota for a family emergency. I need some batteries and then I will start posting pics.

I have to say without Hipshot stopping me and offering me his help, and knowledge, my son's gun would not have turned out as good as we wanted. His birthday is May 22nd, and it needs to be done by then, so the weather needs to cooperate so paint can start. If you don't know about this build, instead of me building my son a gun, I am making HIM make his own gun. With some help from me. It has given him a lot more self esteem since he is autistic. The pride he will have from this build is thanks to Hipshot, and him reaching out to help me. I am forever in your debt Larry. Thank you so much, and your stock is WAY too nice to be called the Joebobber.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:34 AM
LostInTN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That beautiful. As one of my design professors used to preach: "Elegant simplicity"
Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
ek-marlin-424

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Wow! That's a great stock, what you can do with a carbine stock never ceases to amaze me.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
If ever there was a true craftsman it's Hipshot...another fine job. So creative..so innovative...wish I had the time/talent/equip. to even give it a go...Add this one to the long list of the finest stocks the 10/22 will ever be fitted into created by our Hipshot.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 AM
pingding

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was a most interesting read, Hipshot, and the photos are superb. Using kydex for a buttplate is shear genius. You've got me wondering what else that stuff could be used for.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I just want to know how on Earth u found a piece of scrap wood that not only matches but took color exactly like the stock wood. I would say something about good luck but I don't think that was it.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Agree..but, educated precision has nothing to do with luck
Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Maybe I can just cut one of my birch stocks into chunks so I can have the right scraps just lay around.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
wow Hipshot thats a fine one right there. once again you have shown some of your grand talents and we all benefit from it.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hey, thanks to everyone for the compliments. I really wasn't expecting this stock to be that well received.

Markbo, you guessed it. I had a cutoff from an old project,... a piece of the lower buttstock. Unfortunately I didn't think too much about matching the grain because I thought I was going to have to paint this stock. It actually matched up better that I thought it would after I got the stain on it.