Rifle Name--------------------------Owner---------------Builder

"Slade Special Safari Grade"------Markbo--------------Markbo

Build Specifications for "Slade Special Safari Grade" by Markbo

Builder: Markbo. All work was done by me unless otherwise noted
Owner: Markbo

Components:
Volquartsen Superlight Aluminum receiver
Volquartsen bolt group
Ruger Factory Trigger group. Full trigger job at 3.5lbs. Standard curved trigger.
GM 20” Blued Octagon Sporter Taper barrel
Homemade magazine Release
Bushnell 3x9 scope in Weaver rings on Volquartsen base
Exhibition grade Claro Walnut from a blank

Build:
The action is pillar bedded; barrel free floating with my designed barrel pad just in front the barrel block. The trigger is a stock Ruger unit completely tweaked & polished for a smooth pull and sharp break, n o t the lightest break I could obtain. It is a hunting rifle, not a bench rifle. It is a solid .400” - .500” @ 50 yard shooter with several types of hunting loads, CCI Mini Mag being very reliable. It is actually has shot many .3xx” groups with match/subsonic ammo, but again this is a hunting gun and that is what I use in it. I do not have any pictures of targets as my shooting data is all several years old and never saw the need at the time of the build to take any.

The stock started life as a blank and had to be inletted, carved and finished. As far as I have personally seen it is one of the prettiest pieces of wood ever used in a 10/22 build. The stock was finished with Ebony grip cap, forend cap and a rubber buttstock pad. I decided against an Ebony spacer there because the length of pull was perfect at 14 ¼”. It is very difficult to see in any pictures but it has a palm swell for my hand and is very slightly shallower on the right side of top/back of the trigger guard for my shooting finger knuckle to clear/rest into. It is truly custom built to me.

After all wood work was done it was completely prepped & finished in automotive Root Beer Candy & clear by Tuck. I also had him paint the receiver, scope base, trigger group, barrel and scope (all metal surfaces except bolt and scope rings) with automotive paint in Midnight Black. I told him I wanted the blackest black he could find.

Except as noted everything was done by me personally. The only power tool used on this build was a router for the action area and a Dremel. No lathe, no mill, not even a drill press were used otherwise. ..With all due respect to the incredibly talented Tuck, no professional gunsmith, machinist or stock maker, etc touched this build. I am a tinkerer, not a professional. For that reason alone I am extremely proud of how it turned out.

Photos. These are all the pics of I have of this build:

What looks like imperfections or marks at the bottom of the stock is reflection of the grass it is sitting near.

What looks like chalk or some other white lines on the barrel here is actually reflection of the background.

Link to the BUILD THREAD:

CLICK HERE

Old 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2014 Ultimate 10-22 Contest First Place:

2014 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Winner: "FIRST 10-22 BUILD":

Rifle Name---------------------Owner---------------Builder

"First 10-22 Build"------------candyx--------------candyx

Dedication, by candyx:

I would like to thank everyone who voted for my build, I would have never entered this contest because I didn't build this rifle for that purpose. I appreciate the recognition though because I have always built things in my life trying to make sure that I followed the craftsmen before me who have mastered the trade who have taken time to instruct me.
I don't consider my build to be any better then Scott's or Mark's, its just different in style and I was humbled to be listed with their builds for they deserve the same recognition for their builds as well.
For future RFC members as well as current members I have to state that I have to credit this forum with 95% of the knowledge that was required for me to build my rifle for I am a first time builder with no prior experience.Due to all the members that posted photos of their builds it inspired me to take on the task which I was hesitant at first due to the lack of knowledge and experience, for I didn't know what the end result would be. I can't express to all how important it is to post photos of your work for they do help everyone else with their builds as well as all members who share their knowledge with others which is invaluable, without this information my build would of never have been possible.

I want to thank everyone once again for the gracious recognition and for all who enjoyed following the build and to the members who helped me along the way....

candyx

Build Specifications:

***DIY SCRATCH BUILT RECEIVER, CHARGING HANDLE, ADJUSTABLE COMB, ADJUSTABLE BUTT PAD, GRIP CAP AND STOCK TIP.

RICHARDS MICROFIT PRONE STYLE-TARGET CULBERTSON GRAY LAMINATE ROUGH BLANK
STAINLESS STEEL RECEIVER WITH INTERGRAL PICATINNY RAIL/ CUSTOM MADE
KIDD 22LR FLUTED STAINLESS STEEL RIFLE BULL BARREL 20"/ BREACH AND MUZZLE THREADED/BENTZ CHAMBERED
KIDD BOLT MATTE BLACK
KIDD CHARGING ASSEMBLY
KIDD 2 STAGE TRIGGER 1.5 LB PULL / EXTENDED MAGAZINE RELEASE LEVER
WEAVER SCOPE CLASSIC T SERIES 36X40 1/8 MOA DOT
WARNE MAXIME QUICK DETACH RINGS
CHAMPION SHOOTERS ANSCHUTZ RAIL / HARRIS BIPOD ADAPTER
HARRIS BIPOD
STOCK POSITIONING SYSTEM ADJUSTABLE LOP BUTT PLATE
ADJUSTABLE CHEEK PIECE STAINLESS STEEL/ALUMINUM CUSTOM MADE
ALUMINUM FORARM AND GRIP CAP CUSTOM MADE

The front rest top and entire rear rest were "mini projects" that grew from the initial build project. Both were time consuming in their own right, but part of the never ending quest for precision accuracy...

Link to the BUILD THREAD:

CLICK HERE

Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2015 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Third Place: "Kidd/Terminator" by Les1911

2015 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Third Place:
"Kidd/Terminator" by Les1911

2015 Ultimate 10-22 Third Place: "Kidd/Terminator":

Rifle Name-----------------------Owner-----------------Builder

"Kidd/Terminator"----------------------Les1911---------------Les1911

Dedication, by Les1911:

I built KT to shoot little groups at 100yds and it’s has exceeded my wildest expectation. I hope everyone enjoyed my build thread, as much as I enjoyed posting pictures and having a build thread on RFC. I did not build KT to be in the Ultimate contest; Mike Turner’s stock made this all possible. To be in the same contest with Azguy’s rifle and DrGunner’s rifle is unbelievable. RFC is a great forum, it is made up of great people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. You can’t be afraid to ask questions. I wish I would have known about RFC 10 years ago.

I would like to thank all the members who supported my rifle.

Les1911

Build Description and Specifications:

I built KT to compete in the games on RFC mostly 1” at 100yds that's why it has a 10x50x60 Sightron SIII Series on top of it. I added a lot of wt. to the stock KT weighs in at 15 1/2 lb. loaded. Next summer I plan on shooting ABRA with it. KT is setting on top of the leader board 1" at
100yds. Thanks for looking.
Les1911

Here is a full description of my build.
Rifle- Kidd/Terminator
Barrel-20” Stainless Steel Kidd .920
Receiver-Kidd, (Kidd Rear Tang, Pins and Buffer), 2 piece, Brass Pillar and Devcon by Les1911
Bolt-Kidd
Trigger-Kidd two stage 3oz,3oz
Scope-10x50x60 Sightron SIII Series, Burris Signature Zee Rings
Stock-Mike Turner Maple and Walnut with unknown center wood
Stock Finish Tru-Oil by lbJennings
Stock Brass Butt Plate by Les1911

Click HERE

to link to the CONTEST ENTRY POST and view MORE PICS of Les1911's Kidd/Terminator!!!

Click HERE to link to the BUILD THREAD.

Last edited by DrGunner; 01-07-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2015 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Second Place: "Luxus Tomahawk/Kidd Supergrade by DrGunner

2015 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Second Place:
"Luxus Tomahawk/Kidd Supergrade" by DrGunner

2015 Ultimate 10-22 Second Place: "Luxus Tomahawk/KiddSG":

Rifle Name---------------------------Owner---------------Builder

"Luxus Tomahawk/Kidd SG"------DrGunner---------DrGunner

Dedication, by DrGunner:

I would like to extend a sincere THANKS to labratt104 for the nomination, to all who voted in the contest, and to admin for their steadfast support of the Ultimate 10-22 contest. It is truly an honor to be a part of such a great community where we can share our love for the hobby of rimfire shooting. To have a rifle that started as a gift from people I love finally finished and exceeding my own expectations in looks and performance brings me great joy and satisfaction. To have it ranked so high by my peers out of the hundreds of amazing rifles built by members of this site brings a sense of pride that is truly humbling.

We had a record number of voters for the final this year, I'm looking forward to see what next year brings. I think it's time to organize this competition into separate classes...

Hoping everyone has a safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Respectfully,

DrGunner

Tomahawk/Custom Kidd Supergrade/20" Fluted Black Stainless Steel Kidd .920 Match Barrel

This project began as a gift from my wife and nephew, who found this gorgeous Turkish walnut Luxus Tomahawk stock on eBay and bought it for me as a Christmas present in 2012.
I decided then that I wanted blued steel, a glossier finish, and the best inletting and bedding job I could find/create to make an heirloom quality silhouette rifle. I ordered a custom barreled action from Tony Kidd, back when he offered them- a Supergrade receiver, 20" stainless fluted match which was hand picked and lapped by Tony, then sent for black nitride treatment- so, instead of bluing I got the next better thing- black stainless steel.
I tested the barreled action in another BR stock, and it made an impressive showing. So, I sent the stock to George/azguy for inletting, Tru Oil finish, and installation of a Morgan adjustable butt pad. I then milled my own pillar and lower escutcheon did the pillar and rear tang bedding.
I matched it out with all Kidd internals, a Kidd 2 stage TG set at 8oz/8oz with medium height mag release.. I then swapped out the Kidd charging handle for a Vince Heier billet with Ruger eagle emblem.

This rifle is unbelievably comfortable and stable for offhand shooting.

The project took 2 years to complete, and the end result does not disappoint me in any way. I've only shot it at 100 yards a handful of times and posted a card in the MOA game at just over .5" agg @100.
Not bad for an offhand silhouette rifle!

Thanks for looking-

Luxus Apache Tomahawk, Exhibition grade Bastogne Walnut
Stock finish, Inletting for Pillar and rear tang by Azguy.
Custom pillar and front escutcheon milled and installed by DrGunner
Pillar and rear tang bedding with Devcon 10110 by DrGunner.
Receiver tapped to accept 1/4-20 screw.
Morgan adjustable butt pad
Browning Buffalo Nickel Sling & Talon Swivels
Kidd Supergrade rcvr with rear tang, 20 MOA rail
Kidd 20" Black Stainless Steel fluted bull barrel, Nitride Oxidation blackening, threaded to rcvr
Kidd Charging Rod, buffer & pins
Heier Customs billet Charging handle with Ruger eagle
Kidd scalloped bolt
Kidd 2 stage at 8oz/8oz w/ Medium mag release
Scope: Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24x42 Silhouette scope with 1/2 MOA target dot
Rings: Warne Maxima QD High
Atlas Bipod on sling stud Picatinny rail adapter

100 Yards:

Click HERE

to link to the CONTEST ENTRY POST and view MORE PICS of DrGunner's Luxus Tomahawk/Kidd Supergrade!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2015 Ultimate Contest Winner: "Ultimate VQ 17HM2 Squirrel Rifle" by azguy

2015 Ultimate Contest Winner:
"Ultimate VQ 17HM2 Squirrel Rifle" by azguy

2015 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Winner: "Ultimate VQ 17HM2 Squirrel Rifle":

Rifle Name----------------------------------Owner-------Builder

"Ultimate VQ 17HM2 Squirrel Rifle"--------azguy------azguy

Dedication, by azguy:

I wanted to thank everyone who took part by voting in this poll. And obviously greatly appreciate the support I received for the HM2 build. The finalists are all really great rifles that most anyone would be proud to have. Many hours went into each and every one. Congrats to all.

But most of all, I feel that everyone contributes to the RFC anytime they come by and espercially when they post descriptions and pics of what they are doing. I learn something in here every time I visit. The overwhelming supportive nature of everyone on this site in helping new folks and old hands is nothing short of amazing. If not for the encouragement given by all, both by commenting in the various threads, as well as suggestions and information freely given, I would not have had the opportunity to try and grow my skills. Ya'll made this build as much as anyone. And I feel encouraged to push the envelope and to try even harder. I am confident that many of us have been encouraged to try things we might not have, if it were not for the RFC communities support.

Last but not least, I wanted to be sure to thank all the moderators and admin for keeping this site true to it's roots. This is the most unique and knowledgable group of folks I have ever had the honor to be aquainted with. And many thanks for all the work done by DrGunner on this contest, as well as his continuous and tireless support and efforts, on the behalf of the entire RFC community.

Thanks folks, I cannot say it any better than, "Ya'll ROCK!".

I carved this stock from a beautiful quilted maple blank. Note that the butt, forend tip and grip cap are all from the same chunk of walnut burl. I cut the butt, tip and cap with an 'S' cut and then had to hand fit them all so there are no gaps between the stock and the accents. I had the white metal grip cap and hand fitted neidner butt plate engraved. The barreled action is all Volquartsen chambered in 17HM2. I modified the 416SS receiver by adding a KIDD Rear Tang and ,in addition, I had the bolt jeweled. The action is fully bedded with a front full length bedded pillar. The snake fluted barrel is fully floated and the snake fluting works well with the 'S' cut butt, tip and cap to pull the entire build together. The sling swivel studs are GrovTec US units. The finish is all TruOil, innumerable coats protected with a few coats of Renaissance wax. To say I am pleased with the outcome of the hours and hours of work, would be a gross understatement. Target pic, in the extensive build thread, attests to the operation and accuracy of this firearm. Sure is one heck of a squirrel rifle. Thanks for looking!

Quilted Maple Sporter stock with Roll-Over Cheekpiece / "S" Cut Walnut Burl Butt spacer, Forend Tip and Grip Cap spacer. Inlet for Kidd Rear Tang and Front Full Length Pillar. All bedded using Devcon 10110. Finished in TruOil to a High Gloss / Carved by, and all work done by, Azguy.
Neidner Butt Plate and Grip Cap, Both in the White and Engraved by Diane Scalese / Firearms Engraver, Big Sandy, Montana. Hand Fitted by Azguy
GrovTec Sling Swivel Studs with black spacers
Volquartsen Stainless Semi-Auto Barreled Action in 17HM2
Snake Fluted SS Matte Black Barrel with Integral Compensator and Threaded Receiver Fit Tang
Volquartsen TG2000 Trigger Group
Volquartsen 17HM2 CNC Bolt that has been Jeweled
Volquartsen Matte Black 416SS Threaded Receiver that Azguy modified for, and installed, a Kidd Rear Tang on.
Burris Rings with Bushnell Dusk & Dawn, 6-24 X 40mm, Mil Dot Recticle, Matte Black Rifle Scope

And she is a shooter as well. And the last 10 rounds of the day, at 50 yds. Yes, there are a full 10 rounds in the pic. 50 rounds thru the tube and no problems whatsoever.

Click HERE

to link to the CONTEST ENTRY POST and view MORE PICS of azguy's Ultimate VQ 17HM2 Squirrel Rifle!!!