New Project!: Making A Brass 10/22 Receiver From Scratch - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
New Project!: Making A Brass 10/22 Receiver From Scratch

So, I seldom visit the 10/22 forms, but I guess I will be from now on.

I have many pending projects, mostly for grandchildren and future grandchildren, and mostly high-end or custom bolt actions, but I've decided to make a 10/22 receiver. The reason is quite simple. I was an LDS bishop for many years, and during that time, I did my best to introduce our young people to shooting. While most enjoyed it, none seemed to show the enthusiasm I had when I was their age...until now.

One of the young men I mentored as a bishop recently asked, rather naively, whether or not I would consider helping him build a rifle. He wants to be a gunsmith and loves guns and shooting. He said he wanted to build a Rem 700 action. I told him that I wouldn't start with a centerfire, and that I wouldn't make a 700 clone, even if I did go centerfire. I ended up telling him I would think about it.

Well, I've built from parts 3 or 4 10/22s, but none really flipped my switch, and all went down the road when I started focusing on bolt actions and single shots. The 10/22s have become so common, the interest was gone. I had considered building my own receiver, but they too are everywhere, in aluminum and stainless. I recently bought a brass Henry Mare's Leg 45, and was very impressed with its appearance and smoothness. So, the light came on: Why not build a brass 10/22 receiver...and why not build two and involve this young man in the process of building his own? Doing so will teach him basic skills and introduce him to gunsmithing and gun building. And, depending on how much he wants to build, all the other parts are available in many variations. So, that's what I'm going to do.

Now, I have looked at a number of receiver drawings, which seemed pretty good but not complete. Is there a recommended set of blue prints for a 10/22 receiver scratch build like this?

Thanks in advance,

Teddy Bear Rat

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 02-25-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Arrow22291
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like it might be fun. Be careful, though, in some states I believe it is illegal to build a firearm with the intention of transferring it to another individual (sort of a grey line). If you have not already, DO YOUR RESEARCH! Especially now when good, honest citizens are unconstitutionally being labeled criminals overnight, it is important to cover your backside. Your best bet is to contact BATFE directly and ask your specific question... Don't trust what you read online.

As for dimensions, I was not able to find schematics for a 10/22 receiver anywhere. I may just sit own with my calipers one day, but I don't think that will be of great help to you as you will need a great deal of precision that (at least I) would not trust someone else to obtain. Sure would be fun to make an Autodesk 3D of it, though!

This sounds like an awesome project, I can't wait to see the results!

Last edited by Arrow22291; 05-20-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
I have an affinity for both 10/22`s,and brass fittings....your project idea is something I`ve always wanted to see (and own)........ awesomely cool !!!!!!!

Knowing that this project is well within your considerable, and very impressive, skill sets,I look forward to seeing the brass beauty some day

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
chillypepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
this is the second brass project that I've heard of recently. looking forward to seeing it complete.

here's the print that I've been using
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it may get you headed in the right direction

it's a pic of the Razor from Select Fire
http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/index.htm
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Thanks. I've actually looked at both those drawings, the first being the most detailed and helpful. The external dimensions are less important to me, since we plan to dress up the outside (probably integral scope bases, not a picatinny rail) and make hand-fitted stocks for them. I'll probably dovetail a separate piece into the receiver for the extended magazine plate, since machining that integrally is a huge waste of expensive brass.

TBR
Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
rwadley

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
there are several at

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...TID=10364&PN=3

check out the "welded" one. You could make it out of steel and plate it with whatever you want (nickel, silver, gold, copper, brass).
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
The free-machining aspect and natural lubriciousness of brass is what is appealing to me.

TBR
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Gordon Shumway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
The free-machining aspect and natural lubriciousness of brass is what is appealing to me.

TBR
Can't help with any prints, but kudos and style points are hereby awarded for the use of the word lubriciousness.

Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 01-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Will watch Good on ya TBR...from another Brutha.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM
TonyA

TPC Rating: 
100% (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
Can't help with any prints, but kudos and style points are hearby awarded for the use of the word lubriciousness.
I'll second that!

Tony
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Kraaash

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DO IT!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Alright TBR...awesome project guy. Have you given any thought to using a bronze alloy? Years ago we made seals from brass and always had to be aware of steel on brass wear and the ease of brass in gauling. We went to 660 bearing bronze instead and found life and rigididity of the parts very much improved. Just a thought guy. Not sure how the brass will hold up to that bolt slamming back and forth.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Ezcal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A brass receiver... Now that's a cool idea!

I'll be following this build intently.

How do you plan on making this? I don't have any idea how making things with metal works.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 AM
azmbl22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'm watching... FTR the bike gun is still tied for my all time top favorite RFC build