Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Takedown W/Hogue Overmold Stock & Bull Barrel

15K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  super_chief 
#1 ·
I posted a thread in the Aftermarket Barrels section a couple weeks ago showing what it takes to make a bull barrel work on the TD. Well the stock finally came in and we (Super_Chief) and I finished it up.

I started off by milling off the tang on the front block. This tang is used to push the takedown pin so you don't need to pull it out with your thumb to install it as you do to take it down. I didn't want to cut a large slot in the side of the stock and also didn't want to have to remove the block to install the receiver in the stock so I simply milled it off. This requires pulling the TD pin out to install the front end, same as you need to do when you remove the front pin. Not a huge deal really.

Once the Receiver and barrel dropped in part way we could see exactly where I needed to remove material in the stock. Ran a 1/2" endmill along the bottom of the stock on centerline to add clearance for the aluminum block that is threaded onto the barrel then relieved the shoulder where the rear takedown screw is.

I then flipped over the stock so the bottom was facing up in the mill. Milled the slot for the takedown pin to slide in then milled the recess for your thumb to reach the pin. After that the front takedown screw hole was drilled and counterbored.

Installed the receiver and barrel, checked that everything fit flush, screw holes lined up and the takedown pin slid in its assembly. Once all that was finalized the stock was cut in half with a thin blade to leave as little of a gap as possible.

After it was cut in half everything was assembled and test fit. Ran into an issue with the stop on the barrel block hitting the stock so I clearanced the rear half of the stock with the Dremel. :eek: Came out clean though and all fit perfect after that! :bthumb:

Still need to touch up the rough edge from sawing but other than that I'm really happy with how it came out. :yippee:

See less See more
#10 ·
I used a 3/4" 3flute Ball Endmill around 800RPM and took roughly an eighth inch depth of cut for each pass, then took a final pass ten thou deeper to clean it all up. Razor to break the edges by hand. Other than deburring, that was straight out of the mill. Surprisingly, the softer material didn't tear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.