Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

TakeDown Bull Barrel

13K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  Knilc 
#1 ·
After scouring the forum for quite a while I saw a lot of questions about this but no definitive answers, so when a friend of mine picked up a TD we had to try it out.

We gutted the TD and compared it to the standard 10/22 setup. It didn't look to be a huge change so he ordered a Green Mountain Stainless .920" barrel and I cut it up. I turned it a few thou larger than the standard TD barrel to fit tighter in the receiver.

Still waiting on his Hogue stock that we'll modify, but I wanted to share some before/after photos he took. I'll post more photos once it comes together more.

See less See more
#13 ·
I don't own or have any interest in a Take Down 10/22 but I keep reading where so many are grouping better than the regular slip fit version. Gotta wonder if the TD has the superior method of barrel attachment.
Ditto...no interest in owning one but man ya gotta love this kind of mods...:bthumb:

#16 ·
I would wager that it's less about the takedown mounting method being superior to the v-block design, and more about the takedown mount interfering less with barrel harmonics than the factory carbine stock. The very design requires the receiver be more solidly attached to the back section of the stock, while the front of the stock is disconnected from the back and thus can't apply upward pressure on the barrel. It's not quite free floated, but having the two sections of the stock separate is better than having the stock apply an inconsistent amount of pressure to the barrel depending on if you look at it the wrong way.

#19 ·
I would wager that it's less about the takedown mounting method being superior to the v-block design, and more about the takedown mount interfering less with barrel harmonics than the factory carbine stock. The very design requires the receiver be more solidly attached to the back section of the stock, while the front of the stock is disconnected from the back and thus can't apply upward pressure on the barrel. It's not quite free floated, but having the two sections of the stock separate is better than having the stock apply an inconsistent amount of pressure to the barrel depending on if you look at it the wrong way.
I still couldn't care less about the take down feature and was thinking it could be a superior connection method for doing a switch barrel arrangement using a well anchored receiver in a more conventional one piece stock that could better utilise "interfering less with barrel harmonics".

#30 · (Edited)
Hey! Looks great!!! I want to do this but I need the measurements between the dots...
Could you please measure the distance between the dots?? That would be AWESOME if you could!
Do you know the angle between the 2 flat spots at the receiver end of the barrel?

And one more question, is the angle between the ejector slot and the flat spots 90 degrees?

Thank you so, so, so, much!!

Nolie :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.