Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > Other Rimfire Guns > Henry

Please support RFC by supporting our sponsors!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 AM
eveled
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
henry pump 22lr

Any love out there for the Henry pump gun? I just bought one and have mixed emotions.

I love the octagon barrel and the overall looks of the gun.

If you are not careful the bolt will bite you when you work the action. The straight stock on a lever gun is not a problem because you are using your trigger hand to work the lever. On a pump gun your trigger hand stays in place and if you are not careful the bolt hits the web between the thumb and finger. Not a huge deal but something to be aware of. I think the pump gun would be better served with a Monte Carlo type stock.

The real problem I am having is light strike missfires. Very light hammer strikes almost no mark at all. It only happened when my son was shooting but I can't see what he could be doing different than I am. The other less servere problem is the action seems a little stiff. I'm hoping both problems go away as it breaks in.

Having dealt with a Marlin 39as that was having light strike missfires the last thing I want to deal with is another light strike nightmare! I'll give it a little more time a few hundred rounds and a thorough cleaning then it's going back if it doesn't get better.

THANKS ED
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM
bedbugbilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i don't have any experience with a Henry pump but i'm wondering if your son had it fully returned to battery? i.e. was the action fully closed - slide fully forward? I don't know if the hammer will fall if it isn't - if it does' that would maybe give a light strike on the rim. I'm only going on an experience that I had on an older Winchester pump many years ago - it was not an exposed hammer but it would fire at a point where the action was almost closed - and, you could keep the trigger pulled back and just pump it and it would fire. Several times, I had light strikes on the Winchester as there was a point when the forearm was pushed forward, there was like a point of locking - if I didn't make sure that the forearm was pushed forward "smartly" to insure the action was fully closed, it gave a light strike to the rim. Keep in mind, that the cartridge was almost fully seated in the chamber though so that there was no rupture if it did happen to fire. Once the action got "worked in" and smoothed up, it was never a problem.

Give Henry a call - they have excellent customer service and should be able to help you out on it. They are good folks who stand behind their rifles. There are a number of folks on here who have a pump I'm sure and one of them should be along shortly and may be abe to help you out.

I'd like to get one at some point but I want to be able to handle and look at the one I buy - so far, I haven't run across one in the gun shops I haunt.

Good luck . . . you'll get it figured out.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
poomwah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been wanting one of these pretty bad myself, hoping if I ever have the money that I'll actually be able to find one.
Where did you get yours?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Pet-Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My LGS keeps them stocked all the time. All the 22 henry fly off the shelfs, mostly the levers, but the levers do also.

I think they ask $450 for them, Idk if that is average price for the times or not
Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 PM
NHDaveL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There has been a fair number of posts on the Henry pumps. If you haven't followed them, you might want to look back a bit. I have had one for some time and have some experience with it.

I believe several people have reported that their Henry pumps produce light strikes or fail to fire with some backward pressure on the forearm. I've tried getting mine to do that, but even with a lot of rearward pressure on the forearm, mine fires just fine. Not sure why some do this and some don't.

The action on mine is still pretty stiff. From other pumps that I own, I can attest that it is at least partially a characteristic of the external hammer rifles, although the Henry is stiff even for those. I don't recall ever having gotten pinched from mine, but maybe that is because I am somewhat used to external hammer levers. I don't think the Henry is any worse in that respect than others.

As for price, from what I have seen in local LGS's, $450 is a bit high, but not a lot.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 AM
eveled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all who replied. That must be what is happening, makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I had read all I could find on the Henry pump and Henry guns in general before I ordered mine, but somehow forgot about the light strike issue or (non issue if you put the gun into battery correctly.)

I really do like the gun alot. I had to order mine from the LGS, it was $395.00. I really wanted an old Remington or Winchester but could not find a good one locally for the right price. I was a little hesitant about buying it sight unseen, but now that I've shot it I'm happy with my decision.

As far as the bolt pinch, it is true it only happens if you ride up allittle on the grip. It is most noticeable if you drop the gun off your shoulder to work the action. It can't happen on a lever gun because your hand leaves the grip to work the lever. It is not a deal breaker and certainly not a safety issue. I was just making an observation that a MonteCarlo stock like on my Marlin would alleviate the issue altogether.

I like how the pump gun shares parts with the lever gun. Common sense to have parts interchangeability. To me it says alot about the folks who are running Henry.

Thanks again, Ed

Last edited by eveled; 09-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
pump bite!!

when i first shot mine it did bite me once!! keep your hand back. light strike--i havent had that problem, remember to pump it like you are mad at it! it will always be a stiff action due to cocking the hammer. it will lighten up some as it breaks in, keep bolt lubed good and put a bunch of rounds through it. i have a simmons tube red dot on it, SWEET plinking combo.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Danw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Henry gives me mixed emotions, too. It is the most accurate gun I've got, with iron sights. ON top of that, it is beautiful! The down side is that you have to keep forward pressure on the pump or it won't fire. I hate that.

Has Henry been known to fix that issue? I may have to contact them to see.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
contact henry C/S

DAN, contact henry, it should not do that. is it an older production? my 2012 made pump doesnt do this.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Danw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent them an email yesterday. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Hawkmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveled View Post
As far as the bolt pinch, it is true it only happens if you ride up allittle on the grip. It is most noticeable if you drop the gun off your shoulder to work the action. It can't happen on a lever gun because your hand leaves the grip to work the lever. It is not a deal breaker and certainly not a safety issue. I was just making an observation that a MonteCarlo stock like on my Marlin would alleviate the issue altogether.
Do you mean a Monte Carlo stock, with a raised cheek pad, or are you just referring to a pistol grip style stock as opposed to a straight grip stock? This is a Marlin 39A -- it does not have a Monte Carlo stock.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:09 PM
NHDaveL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danw View Post
My Henry gives me mixed emotions, too. It is the most accurate gun I've got, with iron sights. ON top of that, it is beautiful! The down side is that you have to keep forward pressure on the pump or it won't fire. I hate that.

Has Henry been known to fix that issue? I may have to contact them to see.
As I stated above, and elsewhere, I have tried to get my Henry pump to produce light strikes or fail to fire by putting substantial force on the forearm toward the rear, but mine will not do it. Even with a lot of rearward force on the forearm, it fires just fine. I have several other pump 22's, and none of them are sensitive to rearward force on the forearm either. My Henry pump was made in December 2010 and purchased new by me, so I know the history, and it has not been modified. I haven't talked to Henry about this, since I haven't had the problem, but I very much doubt that the rifle is designed to require forward pressure on the forearm to fire properly. I will be interested to see what Henry has to say on this.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Danw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDaveL View Post
As I stated above, and elsewhere, I have tried to get my Henry pump to produce light strikes or fail to fire by putting substantial force on the forearm toward the rear, but mine will not do it. Even with a lot of rearward force on the forearm, it fires just fine. I have several other pump 22's, and none of them are sensitive to rearward force on the forearm either. My Henry pump was made in December 2010 and purchased new by me, so I know the history, and it has not been modified. I haven't talked to Henry about this, since I haven't had the problem, but I very much doubt that the rifle is designed to require forward pressure on the forearm to fire properly. I will be interested to see what Henry has to say on this.
Mine is guaranteed not to fire with any rearward pressure at all. The bolt moves back about 1/8" with back pressure, and that's apparently just enough to put it out of battery. The way you describe the operation of yours is exactly as this rifle should work. My Remington 870 pump, for example, will stay in battery and fire with rearward pressure. Man, if this gun is fixed to work that way, it will be simply awesome. I'm optimistic that Henry will take care of it.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Hootie
Team RFC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Team RFC Since: 
Mar 2011
Team RFC To: 
Dec 2015
I have one that is about three years old. If you don't push the pump handle back hard it has light strikes. Another thing is to make sure the pump handle screws are kept tight.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Fuzzface

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
I have one that is about three years old. If you don't push the pump handle back hard it has light strikes. Another thing is to make sure the pump handle screws are kept tight.
This post needs to be clarified. For many people "push" means "away from yourself" but in this context "back" means toward yourself.