Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > Ruger Semi Auto Pistols > SR 22

Please support RFC by supporting our sponsors!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
marb4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
SR22 Pistol Ammo Likes and Dislikes

Since most rimfires have their prefered ammo, after about 1000 rounds I thought I'd compile a list of ammo brands my new SR22 pistol likes and dislikes. When I say "like" I'm talking primarily about cycling the action. Accuracy has been similar on all brands so far.

Likes...

MiniMags
CCI Blazer
CCI Stinger - loves (this stuff is a lot of fun out of this pistol!)
Federal 510
Federal 550 Bulk (walmart)
Remington Thunderbolts (when they have primer in the rim)

Dislikes...

Winchester Wildcats (won't reliably cycle slide far enough back to strip next round from magazine)
Federal AutoMatch (won't cycle this at all. won't even push the slide back far enough to cock the hammer. This happend about 30 out of 50 rounds fired)

I'll continue to add to the list as I try different brands. Overall this pistol is a very good shooter. Glad it will happily digest the cheap stuff.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Big-Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got back from shooting my SR22 this morning for the first time. I was testing for reliabliity and function and not accuracy ( I'll do that next time )
I fired a minimum of 50 rds of each type and more than that of some of the bulk ammo. This was one dirty puppy when I was done..LOL Here is a run down of what I tried :

Federal Lightning - no issues
Federal bulk - one ftf, fired on the second strike
CCI Velocitor - no issues
CCI Stingers - no issues, much fun !
CCI Mini Mags - no issues
CCI Tactical - no issues
Federal Automatch - no issues
Remington Goldens - no issues
Winchester Super X - no issues
Winchester Dynapoint - no issues
Winchester 555 - no issues
Winchester M22 - no issues
Aguila Super Maximum - no issues
Aguila SuperExtra - no issues

That's it, not one fail to feed or eject. My barrel did not loosen at all so hopefully that will be a non issue for everyone now. My serial number is in the 16,000 range so maybe they are using loc-tite on them now. I also checked the slide and there was no irregular wear so this one iis a keeper. My safety /decocker and double action pull were very stiff so I fired a couple hundred rds working the decocker and firing double action. They both smoothed out pretty nice. I'll post some pics for accuracy after the next time out. Very happy with this little pistol so far, seems like a great gun.

Last edited by Big-Dog; 01-28-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:56 PM
packnpaddle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice reports so far. Thanks for taking the time to post updates.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
1973Glenfield25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, you guys have talked me into it. I need one. Now to convince the wife that I need one.......
Old 01-28-2012, 06:38 PM
3six13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice, aside from those who want threaded barrels, which I am not, and that incident about a loose barrel screw I have heard only positive things about this gun. Can't wait to try one out myself.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Big-Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't wait for mags to become available at some of the online vendors, hopefully for a little better price than the list price they show for them. these little pistols shoot so good you will want to have a bunch of spares to load up.I love my MK II but it is a brick to carry around. I can see taking this out all the time hiking or in the woods.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:47 AM
packnpaddle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dog View Post
I can't wait for mags to become available at some of the online vendors, hopefully for a little better price than the list price they show for them. these little pistols shoot so good you will want to have a bunch of spares to load up.I love my MK II but it is a brick to carry around. I can see taking this out all the time hiking or in the woods.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM
missing1944
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
std vel ammo

I have had great performance with any of the higher velocity stuff - Mainly Velocitor 40gr HP and Winchester M22 but mine doesn't seem to like any of the std vel stuff - seem to get at least one cycling problem every clip.
you all have a good day now - missing1944 - charles
Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine loves Walmart/Federal bulk ammo, but did not care for the Federal auto-match ammo that I had. The auto-match is very inconsistent in velocity and caused even worse problems for my little Beretta Bobcat 21A.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Racetrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also had problems with Federal Automatch. Mine would cock the hammer, but would fail to pick up a new round. Shot about 100 Automatch, about 100 CCI Blazer which seemed OK, I think one didn't pick up. Federal bulk worked perfectly, around 200 rounds. The Federal bulk occasionally won't lock the bolt open on the last round in my Mark III 22/45, but the Automatch worked flawlessly in it.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 AM
marb4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Its funny how most 22's have their own "personality". I have a Bersa Firestorm that will eat Fed AutoMatch all day but won't go more than two rounds in a row of Fed bulk (walmart) without a failure of some sort. My SR22 seems to eat up the Fed bulk with no issues but won't cycle Fed AutoMatch to save its life. Whenever I get a new 22 part of the fun for me is taking out a wide variety of ammo to see what it likes and doesn't. I'm fortunate to own 11 22 autoloaders (pistols and rifles) and the one that will literally eat any ammo I feed it is ironically my Walther P22Q. I know its reputation is the opposite but to this point (knock on wood) I have over 3000 rounds through it with not one stovepipe. There have been literally only 3 or 4 times where an audibly underpowered round failed to cycle the slide back far enough to strip the next round from the mag but that's it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
LewiSS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
marb4, how do you keep track of what to feed each of those 11 children? What picky eaters 22's can be at times. One reason I love my Mk pistols is they shoot my favorite, mini-mag, with no issues. And so does my wife's Henry (although the Henry will eat about anything).
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
TitMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
in my SR22, i've found Aquila SSS is tumbling (~85% of rounds) at as close as 4yards.

Heard many reports of SSS tumbling, but in all the guns i've tried it in this is the first i've seen. To bad its as potent a 22round as you'll find.

Crimped style 22 shot cartridges, like Federal Gameshok No.12 are a no go [ long neck expands and sticks in barrel throat], cup type shot cartridges like CCI should be good to go.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
marb4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewiSS View Post
marb4, how do you keep track of what to feed each of those 11 children? What picky eaters 22's can be at times. One reason I love my Mk pistols is they shoot my favorite, mini-mag, with no issues. And so does my wife's Henry (although the Henry will eat about anything).
Most of my "children" are pretty good and eat most of the more common bulk ammo. I stock a lot of CCI Blazer and all of them seem to do well with this. I have a couple though that are picky so I have to keep in mind what ammo to bring along when they get out to the range.

I shot 100 of the Winchester 333 tonight. I had 2 audibly underpowered rounds that failed to cycle the slide back far enough to strip the next round from the mag. This seems to be the most common "failure" I have with the SR22. Everytime it happens though (which isn't that often) its due to a cheap bulk round with not enough pop.

My range is outdoors and was finishing my time around dusk. I put a box of CCI Stingers through and had great fun watching the fireball erupt out the end of the barrel in the low light! These rounds are a lot of fun in a short barrel pistol.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 AM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Seems like I have to shoot plated bullets in my SR22P. When I shoot waxed only bullets I get leading in the barrel with lots of traces of it on the crown. I have a Single Six that is the same way. To bad because CCI Blazers are my favorite 22LR ammunition for all around (performance, cost, and availibility). With luck Federal Champions Value Pack shoot very well in both. They all like CCI Mini Mags but what gun don't.