Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > Other Rimfire Guns > Marlin - H&R - NEF > Marlin Semiautomatic

Please support RFC by supporting our sponsors!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
ArrowDodger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Send a message via AIM to ArrowDodger
Ejector wire gage for Marlin 60

I was thinking about how to help those without calipers tune or check their ejector wire for proper position. Just so happens that a Nickel is close enough in thickness to use as a gage for maximum height and side position. Of course I have only done this to my own. The action assembly is removed for this check.

I keep a Penny and a Nickel on my bench and use them as quick tools to check suspicious wire positions. I use the Nickle is a high limit .075 gage and a new Penney as a low-limit .060 gage. So anything in-between has been a good position so far.

"Nickel high & Nickel wide" is a good way to remember.

Place a Nickel on top of the feed-throat. Flush top of wire to top of the Nickel.

Push down the Lifter and place the Nickel on the inside of the feed-throat holding it straight up. Flush face of Nickel to side of wire.

For trouble free re-insertion of the action assembly, remember these 3 things to do beforehand.
1. Lock the bolt in the extreme back position. This prevents bending the ejector.
2. Remove the magazine chase tube. This prevents breaking the follower.
3. Cock the hammer. A simple no-go.

Last edited by ArrowDodger; 01-26-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add "new Penny" as a low limit notation
Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowDodger View Post
I was thinking about how to help those without calipers tune or check their ejector wire for proper position. Just so happens that a Nickel is close enough in thickness to use as a gage for height and side position. Of course I have only done this to my own. The action assembly is removed for this check.

Place a Nickel on top of the feed-throat. Flush top of wire to top of the Nickel.

Push down the Lifter and place the Nickel on the inside of the feed-throat. Flush face of Nickel to side of wire.
Bloody BRILLIANT!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 AM
one eyed shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
this should be a sticky!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Darg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
dangerranger

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thats so simple! for years weve been telling people " it needs to angle a little up and a little in." congratulations on finding a comon measurement for it. Ill second that it needs to go in the stickys. DR
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
ShootsAtSky
Team RFC
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Team RFC Since: 
Dec 2007
Team RFC To: 
Oct 2015
Another vote for a sticky!

I just verified it on a '72 Model 60 with the early model feed throat and it works on that one as well.

I like it!

* Hadn't had that gun apart in so long that I couldn't find the Model 60 Custom Hammer Strut Retention Tool. Had to come back upstairs to find a new paper clip.

Bob
Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
CitizenPatriot
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Another vote for "STICKY" !
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
rlrime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 60 fix

This sticky needs to be copied and sent with every new Marlin 60 made. Worked with mine!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 AM
PhilDenton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow, mine was positioned so that it might as well not have even been there, that should be fixed, now i just need range-time to see if that helps, thanks.

edit: SWEETNESS! that did it! thanks!

Last edited by PhilDenton; 09-17-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 AM
QWerks
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry fit for a model 70 ejector

Just got my 1978 Glenfield model 70 for Christmas. Got a love it when my wife let's me pick up my own gift.

This was a pawn shop find and when I took it to the range on Saturday it really did not like feeding Remington Cyclone or Winchester Wildcats that I had on the bench. Ate and fired bulk Federal in the 525 loose pack.

Unfortunately it jammed up big time on the Remington and looks like it bent the heck out of the ejector. Does the nickel gauge work for these older Model 70's?
If not what are the specs for aligning my ejector. Also is there a part number for a pre LSHO ejector? I straightened it out at the range but it may be weakened from being bent and straightened.

Thanks I have learned a bunch about this great old gun.

Mike Q
Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your rifle is the clip feed model the link below is your ejector, or it's the part Numrich lists for the Model 70. Plus p-t-max and mals9 have a couple of great photo's of what the ejector should look like.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...70A&catid=4066

Compare your ejector to these pictures, post #11, by mals9.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409410

...and post #7 by p-t-max.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401349

Last edited by Eric0424; 01-02-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 PM
QWerks
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eric0424, Thanks for the help. I'll follow up on this when I get back from Tennessee.

Youngest son is in college there and he needs emergency surgery due to his Crohns disease. Shooting takes second place in a hurry when your family gets ill.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Eric0424

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QWerks View Post
Eric0424, Thanks for the help. I'll follow up on this when I get back from Tennessee.

Youngest son is in college there and he needs emergency surgery due to his Crohns disease. Shooting takes second place in a hurry when your family gets ill.
Everything becomes second priority when a family member is sick or ailing. My thought and prayers are with your boy, you and the rest of your family.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 PM
marauderjoe
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I was thinking about how to help those without calipers tune or check their ejector wire for proper position. Just so happens that a Nickel is close enough in thickness to use as a gage for height and side position. Of course I have only done this to my own. The action assembly is removed for this check.

Push down the Lifter and place the Nickel on the inside of the feed-throat holding it straight up. Flush face of Nickel to side of wire.

For trouble free re-insertion of the action assembly, remember these 3 things to do beforehand.
1. Lock the bolt in the extreme back position. This prevents bending the ejector.
I just tried this on my 60 SS. WOW! Ingenious! Went from multiple stovepipes per 14 rounds to 1 stovepipe out of 56 rounds! This works!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
ra-63

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ra-63
Quote:

Now I have to check the one on my rifle out,I just did the trigger work and polished up the bolt,so this will finish things up thanks for the great Info! ra-63