Shadow Hunter - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Wolfen
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Shadow Hunter

The "Shadow Hunter" is my first attempt to do something to / with a stock Birch Ruger Carbine Stock. Something without using any filler
and no paint.

[IMG][/IMG]

Like me, you may have asked yourself - Where / how do people get the names for some of these rifles. Well, I got the name Shadow Hunter
from the Shadow style Cheek Piece - hence Shadow - and the Strait Grip With Muzzle Loader style German Silver Butt Plate - hence - Hunter.

PERSONAL OPINION -
I feel I should say right here and now that I really am having trouble finding anything, with the exception of the inletting, I like about Ruger Non-Walnut wood stocks. But what the heck, one can always "paint" the darn thing.

For the finish, I used two heavy coats of Minwax Dark Walnut Wood Finish #2716 letting each coat soak in and dry for two days before
sanding with dry 360 Wet / Dry paper. I tried to sand off as much as could without getting too deep and getting "white spots" and still getting
out the really dark stuff, which looked like a nightmare to me.

Once I was satisfied that the color / texture was the best I was going to get, I covered it with three coats of Minwax Clear Simi-Gloss Polyurethane.
I had to let each coat dry for at least 24 hours before I could get any decent sanding done. I used dry 400 Wet / Dry paper.

So, how did I make it? Here's how -

OBTW -
I probably ought to say that I don't make and follow plans (drawings) for the guns I have, are and will make. For me, plans are like promises - they're made to be broken - and I usually encounter enough bumps and issues during a build that I don't need to be troubled and frustrated by trying to keep up with the myriad of changes and frustrations to changes in pre-established plans. I usually work from constantly changing of What I Want to end up With and what I'm going to Need to Make It Happen.

Back to the build -

Here's the $16 factory Foundation Stock I'm starting with -

[IMG][/IMG]

Since I'm going to convert this stock into a Hunter, I decided early on to make it a Strait Grip. I also like the looks of the Plains Rifle Butt Plate from days of old. I'm going to install a sand cast nickel silver one I have from the old days. I first drew lines for the areas to be removed - the grip and butt end.

[IMG][/IMG]

After cutting them off,

[IMG][/IMG]

and starting a rasp cleanup of the grip and as I stood back to see what my alignment was going, I realized something - Flutes - no problem. All I have to do is remove some wood. But something is still missing. Of course, a Cheek Piece. But what style and size? Bingo - this little thing would /will look great with a Shadowed Pancake Cheek Piece. Will / is there going to be enough wood and where will it come from? I'll worry about that when I get there. Oh Duh, I'll just leave it off if I can't make it.

OK, now what? Flutes, Cheek Piece and Butt Plate. Oh yeh, gotta figure in the strait grip so I'll know where the Cheek Piece will go. Oops, gotta do the Butt Plate before the Straight Grip so I can establish the bottom and the top centerlines.

Think I'll just rough in a the Flutes so I don't forget them later.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now lets figure out where to put the Butt Plate. In order to get as much extra wood for the Cheek Piece, I need to locate it as far to the right as possible. Looks like about 3/16" which will give me about 5/16 Cast Off.

[IMG][/IMG]

Due to the difference in the down angle of the new Butt Plate, I had to take some wood off the top of the butt as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now time to find out if I have enough wood for a Cheek Piece. Great - looks like there's enough,

[IMG][/IMG]

but for what style? Looks like Iet the "Long" tang of the Butt Plate thru off my judgement. Looks like I won't have enough for a decent Pancake but will be good enough for a good Classic style. Glad I roughed in the Flutes too.

[IMG][/IMG]

Blast, I cut off to much a nice "Sloping" Shadow. Oh well, I'' just make it a "Shallow" Shadow. Still looks good and like one.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yep - that bottom is strait.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bet you thought I had another one of those infamous "Senior Moments" and forgot about the Foreend. Well, I didn't forget about it. I just haden't decided / figured out what I wanted to do with it. Bob it or leave it full length? Decided to go "full length" I also decided to do something new for me - use a plane to rough it down. How neet.

[IMG][/IMG]

The rest is with the good ole rasp, file and sand paper & block from the attachment screw to the round tip.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now for the Final sanding in preparation for the application of Stain and Clear Coat.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

First two coats of stain prior to sanding.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Finally - " FINISHED - I give you the SHADOW HUNTER

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

That's my DIM Mag Release Lever.

Wolfen

Last edited by Wolfen; 06-13-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 PM
chevy73
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish i could work with wood like that. Nice job. I like it!

Last edited by chevy73; 06-14-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 AM
knightd

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Very well done!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM
dwsschatte
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Very , very nice.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
scott_n06

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks great. Where did you find that butt plate?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
rmemmott
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wolfen, you are truley an artisan. I absolutely love the flowing lines of your build.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (73)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Very cool...I love different...and in the case different is a well done
Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
BigSky1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That's some seriously fine craftsmanship!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 PM
lindertw
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
awesome work!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:51 PM
trimguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice work Wolfen. Very unique, I really like it!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Wolfen

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
All

My thanks to all who have given their kind comments. They are all appreciated and give strength for me to continue to do more.

Wolfen
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Wolfen

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Hipshot & Chillypepper

Please accept my humble apology for not making a reference to you and your Great Articles. To Hipshot for your Post on how to make the Strait Grip in your "Old West" Post at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=268470 and to Chillypepper for your use of the Brass Butt Plate in your Post "Reworked Factory" at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=335561.

After reading these Posts, I just had to combine Your two implementations and therefore, make the Shadow Hunter.. They are what inspired me to make the Shadow Hunter in the first place.

It was not intentional but an oversight that should not have been made and I am truly sorry and saddened for making it.

There are so few "NEW" ways of doing things today without touching something that someone else has already tried / done, that I hope people recognize this fact and can still find it in their hearts to recognize and praise one who has seen and combined the best in multiple solutions to reveal something that is of itself "New and Useful".

Wolfen
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Wolfen

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
scott -

It's been almost thirty years since I bought it that and I honestly don't remember where I bought it. However, wanting another one myself, I started running down manufacturers and found "Track Of The Wolf, Inc" at -

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...Support=1&as=1

They have quite a variety of them in Brass, Nickel Silver and Steel. For one like / similar to mine their asking $13.50.

Take a look there. I'm sure you'll find what you want / need. Neat outfit.

OBTW - Remember, they are either Sand or Wax cast and come pretty much the way they come out of the cast. You'll have to do some filling, sanding and polishing.

Hope this helps.

Take Care

Wolfen
Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Very, Very crafty work, Wolfen.

Great job and quite original. I admire your skills.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 PM
10Pointman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Very Nice!! Love the stock!