Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:22 AM
infest
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To Build From Scratch.

I've just gotten into target shooting. And i have and old Nylon 66 that I can shoot for now until I build a new on. Just a lil bit of info about me. I have never really been big into target shooting. But my wife and I have nothing in common. Well she and I went target shooting the other day just to have something to do and we absolutely loved it. So I fully intend to make this a hobby for us.

I don't know much about guns and have never even taken one fully apart. So I kinda felt like building from scratch would help me learn more about it, not to mention there aren't that may inexpensive stores near me that sell 10/22s. Not even Wal Mart sells them.

I've done quit a bit of reading and decided that I don't want one of the newer/cheaper 10/22s with the plastic parts. So my options are get lucky and find an older 10/22 or build from scratch.

My question. What all will I need to buy to build from scratch (other than what i have listed).

Stock.
Barrel.
Complete Triger Group.
Reciever.
Bolt.
Scope.

Also for those of ya that don't mind throw in some recommendations for me on the parts.

Last edited by infest; 09-17-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 AM
ShootNut
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If your going to build one from scrach your going to need a reciever and bolt!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 AM
infest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Added to the list. Thanks can't believe I left those out. lol

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 AM
orangelion03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After doing my own research, I was amazed that you can build a 10/22 without using any Ruger parts! With some judicious shopping on eBay, this forum's classifieds, and others, you can buy a lot of what you are looking for used and save some bucks even over the good prices you find on the net. Lots of aftermarket barrels, OEM trigger groups, used stocks, etc.

Be warned though, it's going to add up quickly =) I started with a free 10/22 and have spent near $250 "improving" it.

The foundation of an accurate and target worthy rifle is the barrel and there is no small choice out there. This is where you need to spend the bulk of your dosh, followed by trigger group modifications.

Make sure you post regular updates, with photos!

Cheers!

Robert Arance
Armed Liberal
ValVerde hamlet
Viva La Evolucion!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 AM
MinusB
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I built from scratch, and have about $2500 in just one... I did this more than once. Silly me!! If you want the best there can possibly be, this gives you the opportunity to build everything the way YOU want it with the parts YOU want. And it's super easy. But it doesn't always guarantee a straight shooter, a fun time, or a supreme rifle.

My recommendation is as follows:
Buy a stock gun. Preferably one that shoots very well out of the box, like a CZ452 or something like that. These can be had for around $300 new. If you're hell bent on a 10/22, get a cheap carbine, 10 different types of ammo for it, a good scope, and some REAL sandbags for benchrest shooting. Go learn. The money spent on ammo and a quality scope will far outweigh any high dollar fancy schmancy stock, or the latest magazine release. And the time behind the trigger of a plain ol' stock rifle will make you a better shooter anyway.

From there, the 10/22 can be as custom or as sleeper as you want it to be. I recommend you read the 10/22 for Newbies thread in the "Anything 10/22" section - I wrote it specifically to answer questions like yours.

But, to answer the question at hand, a 10/22 is made up of the following items you will need to purchase separately:

Receiver (must be shipped through FFL or bought face-to-face)
Bolt w/ extractor and spring, firing pin, and firing pin hold-down roll pin (VQ sells a complete w/ a handle and guide rod too)
Guide rod w/ charging handle and recoil spring
Bolt buffer, aftermarket preferably
Trigger cross pins
barrel
vee block w/ screws

You will also need a stock w/ whatever accessories you think a stock needs and a hold down screw to keep it firmly attached to the receiver.

Optics require a scope mount, the most popular being VQ or PC weaver rails. Then, obviously, scope rings and a scope.

The trigger group is another deal altogether. You can find complete stock groups, worked stock groups, and complete aftermarket groups. It would neither be time nor cost efficient to try to piece together a complete trigger group, as the parts are too numerous and expensive in the aftermarket to complete this task. You're best off buying one and modifying it to suit your needs, or just buying a complete aftermarket group.

But, to summarize, building one from scratch and completely from the aftermarket IS entirely possible and very easy. Very expensive, yes. A guarantee of anything perfect or superior, no. And anything necessary, no. If you're into this 10/22 hobby, you'll have one soon enough, for now, spend money wisely and thrifty on only the necessities to get you shooting better and more often. Then trick it out.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:41 AM
rimfiredup
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you wanted to go completely from scratch, you could get an 80% receiver. Which is a receiver that still needs to have the trigger group pin holes drilled, the bolt stop pin hole drilled. some of them require the barrel hole to be drilled out too.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
mattal21

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Building from scratch

First Build From Stock 10/22

Ruger 10/22 $250
GM 18" Fluted Blued Bull Barrel $118
R/T Matte Black Drop-in Trigger $30
R/T Matte Black Charging Handle $40
R/T Matte Black Ext. Mag Release $17
R/T Adjustable V-Block $25
R/T Takedown Screw $9
YellowJacket Bolt Buffer $8
R.B. Precision Stock $150
ACE ARFX-E Buttstock $140
VQ Extractor $12
Mueller APV $115*
Millett Scope Rings $25*
Swamp Fox Action Kit $45
Shooters Ridge Bipod $55*

Total $1,039

Next Build in progress estimates

Nodak Spud NDS-22 Receiver *$170
GM RFC 17" Barrel **$130
R/T Adjustable V-Block *$25
R/T TakeDown Screw *$9
R/T Trigger Assembly $350
Receiver Cross Pins $4
DirtyBore Bolt *$100
R/T Charging handle *$40
V-Block Screws *$5
Mueller APV $115
Millett Scope Rings $25
Bolt Buffer $8
Stock ?????

Total $981

From the way I'm looking at it is going to cost me about the same to build from scratch as it did from building from a factory 10/22 and I don't have to deal with a painted receiver or try to get rid of the parts I don't need

Last edited by mattal21; 09-17-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
orangelion03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MinusB makes a good point above. You could start off with an accurate out of the box rifle. I did that by purchasing a Savage MkII BTVS...shoots single hole groups when used by someone who knows what they are doing. The same basic action and barrel can be had in a synthetic stock (MkII FV) for under $250.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
infest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you everyone for you input. After see'n how much it can cost to build from scratch I feel like that would be a bit overwelming considering how much of a gun novice i am. Not to mention the cost.

@MinusB
I read your article about a week ago. It was very helpful.

@Toddm and MinusB
Another quick question for ya. As far as the CZ452 rifles go. How custamizable are they?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
gunslngr
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have $1200.00 invested in the wifes and around $900.00 in mine. A trigger job will finish mine out so hopefully SwampF0X is ready for some more work!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
orangelion03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infest View Post
Another quick question for ya. As far as the CZ452 rifles go. How custamizable are they?

Cant speak for the CZs, but the Savage BTVS is a shooter right off the shelf:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article_g...n-Test-%2708/7

Yes, I'm biased.

Check out the CZ and Savage forums on this site.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
TonyAngel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a CZ452 in .22 magnum. All I had to do with it was to sand the stock out a bit to completely freefloat the barrel (it was touching on one side) and add a scope. I know that many around here knock the accuracy of the .22 magnum round, but I must have been lucky. Mine shoots right at minute of angle with CCI Maxi Mags, when I'm having a good day.

What I also opted to do was to install one of the trigger job kits that consisted of the springs and spacers ($20 or so shipped). Now there's nothing left to do to the rifle. It's perfect for me.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Well I have a 452 Trainer and Varmint. Not much to do to them as there aren't many aftermarket parts out there. Well basically none,LOL. You can change out the trigger, change out the sear, or use a brooks kit to sweeten up the trigger. Not much in the way of affordable stocks out there either. I took a old customized 10/22 stock and converted it to accept my Trainer.

But not much is needed to make them a great shooter.

If I went the 10/22 route I would find a used one and change out the barrel and mod the trigger parts. If you wanted to you could change out the stock or mod it yourself. With the 10/22 you could have a sweet shooter for around $300-450 dollars depending on what all you mod yourself or buy to go on it.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:09 PM
AGJ223

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigrat View Post

If I went the 10/22 route I would find a used one and change out the barrel and mod the trigger parts. If you wanted to you could change out the stock or mod it yourself. With the 10/22 you could have a sweet shooter for around $300-450 dollars depending on what all you mod yourself or buy to go on it.

You don't need to spend $1000+ to have a nice shooting rifle.
I think it is easily doable in the $500 range +scope should get you the working basics from there I would say it is cosmetics$$$

Ruger 10/22� Rifle Receiver - Black Textured $88.95
Green Mt. 10/22 18" Blued Fluted .920" - 22LR $109.00
Performance 10/22 VQ Polished Target Bolt $52.95
Hornet Custom "B" Trigger Assembly for Ruger 10/22 $89.95
( http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewPr...odelNumber=BBT )
Tactical Solutions Ruger 10/22Picatinny Scope Rail-15 MOA$30.00
Tactical Solutions Tru-Tac 1" Scope Rings $34.99+____________
$405.84
+shipping
+ scope mueller APV or similar $115to150

and a stock of your choice$50 and UP$$$$$

Last edited by AGJ223; 09-17-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
infest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for everyone's great oppinions. As for Cz's and Savages i'll read up in their forums. As for the suggestions. Keep them comming. So far I'm Liking Thinking's Price