Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Ibtrukn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need Some Info on this "shotgun"

I have an Anschutz marked Zepher on the barrel. Also says 22
long shot Stoeger Arms Corp New York. Serial #2042xx and
J G Anschutz GmbH Waffenfabrik Ulm/D. Germany 22 1/2" barrel with bead front site and no rear site. 5 shot clip marked Anschtz on bottom and 22long rifle on top of follower. No buttplate, stock is serratted. "Anschutz" on top of receiver in front of chamber. Receiver looks like it is grooved for scope but that woood be kind of redundant. Barrel breech is 22 cal but at muzzle does measure approx .410. an I guess that makes it Routledge bore? Any help when it was built and maybe value? Blue is about 98% wood has shiny varnish finish with couple scrapes. All help appreciated. IB

no one I have talked to has ever heard of these------
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
98% (49)
I've heard of them.Rarely seen and not made for a few years.Often referred to as "garden guns" for maurauding sparrows,starlings,the odd grasshopper.
Hard to guess the value-I don't think they were that expensive when offered, and something that would appeal to very small segment of the shooting fraternity,mostly as a curiosity,I would think.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Savage10D

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibtrukn View Post
I have an Anschutz marked Zepher on the barrel. Also says 22
long shot Stoeger Arms Corp New York. Serial #2042xx and
J G Anschutz GmbH Waffenfabrik Ulm/D. Germany 22 1/2" barrel with bead front site and no rear site. 5 shot clip marked Anschtz on bottom and 22long rifle on top of follower. No buttplate, stock is serratted. "Anschutz" on top of receiver in front of chamber. Receiver looks like it is grooved for scope but that woood be kind of redundant. Barrel breech is 22 cal but at muzzle does measure approx .410. an I guess that makes it Routledge bore? Any help when it was built and maybe value? Blue is about 98% wood has shiny varnish finish with couple scrapes. All help appreciated. IB

no one I have talked to has ever heard of these------
The "Routledge" bore was developed by trapshooter Fred Routledge in 1938. The idea was to allow indoor skeet and trap shooting at tiny (2-5/8" dia)clay targets named "Moskeeto". The targets were thrown 75 ft. The Routledge bore would pattern about 80% (92 - #12 pellets) at 35 ft. Winchester made the Mod 61 with the Routledge bore until about 1940 when they designed their own counter bored barrel. It was very similar to the Routledge, but differed in the length of the counter bore and bore dia. Simmons installed vent ribs on a few Mod 61's making them look a lot like a miniature Mod. 12.

The ultimate gun was the Winchester Model 61 smoothbore. This was the gun that Fred Routledge of Monroe, Michigan had made up in 1938.
The first Model 61 smoothbores had the Routledge counterbore(.40 caliber 13 inches back from the muzzle. They had a 5/16 in. grooves on the receiver top.
The second style had Winchester counterbore(5/16in. 8 inches back from the muzzle. they were made with both grooved and smooth top receivers(very rare).
The third style were not counterbored and had receivers grooved for scopes.

The Targo came out around 1948, though Mossberg was hyping it before hand. The complete setup was the gun, screw on choke, gun attached thrower, a hand thrower, targo clays and a net that was to catch the clays you missed so you could reuse them. The gun was a Mossberg model 42TR. I believe the complete package was call the Mo-Skeet-O. The clays were $6.50 per thousand, that included shipping from NY.

I did not know that Anschutz had gotten into "the game". I believe there was a minor resurgance of interest in the Routledge bore in the early 1960's. Collector value on these are pretty low with out the entire setup, ie, thrower, targets, etc.

Stoeger imported a great many makers under their Zephyr name.

Pete

Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Savage 10D,

Interesting post. Thanks, T
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Savage10D

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 61, the original model that Routledge designed Mo-Skeet-O around.

Remington 121 pump.

Mossberg 42TR many times these gun show up minus the trap. Sellers often mistakenly think they are set up for silencers. Mossberg simply renamed the game Targo.

Hand thrower

Pete