Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > Ammunition > .22 Ammunition

Please support RFC by supporting our sponsors!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 AM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hollow-Point Aguila SSS

Has anyone ever created a Hollow-Point Aguila SSS. Think of it:
  1. The 60-grain bullet is hard to stabilize. Drilling out some weight from the tip should help this problem.
  2. I think the velocity of this bullet is well below the speed of sound so reducing the weight would bring it closer to a standard sub-sonic.
  3. You would still have a very heavy, deep penetrating bullet (maybe 50 or 55 grain) however, it would produce a larger wound channel.
  4. How about a very large, very deep hollow-point? Reduce the bullet weight to 40-grain or less. One that would bring it above the speed of sound and cause it to turn in-side-out or fragment?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
jibjab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The 60-grain bullet is hard to stabilize. Drilling out some weight from the tip should help this problem.
I think the bullets length is the reason the SSS will not stabilize in some barrels, reducing the weight could help by increasing velocity and the bullets RPMs. I have shot SSS at 100yrds from my Romanian M69 and saw no evidence of tumbling on the target, I will need to try this ammo at greater distances to see where it begins to keyhole.
Someone sells a jig for making hollow points in .22 lr but I can't find the link this would be a fun experiment.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibjab View Post
I think the bullets length is the reason the SSS will not stabilize in some barrels, reducing the weight could help by increasing velocity and the bullets RPMs. I have shot SSS at 100yrds from my Romanian M69 and saw no evidence of tumbling on the target, I will need to try this ammo at greater distances to see where it begins to keyhole.
Someone sells a jig for making hollow points in .22 lr but I can't find the link this would be a fun experiment.
That jig is the Paco Tool:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=184647

But i don't think it will make a hollow-point out of a solid.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
jibjab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I guess drilling a concentric hole in the bullet would be a challenge. I think lightening the bullet to much will sacrifice one of its attributes which is penetration. If one were to drill a .0625" dia. hole at a depth of approx. .3" would reduce the weight about 2-3 grains.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Maybe this is the tool you were thinking of? Sold at Eabco.

http://www.eabco.com/holoptr.html
Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
try it out of an older rifle, they stabilize perfectly.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
Maybe this is the tool you were thinking of? Sold at Eabco.

http://www.eabco.com/holoptr.html
Do you have one of these???

Does it work well???
Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
No, I don't. I was looking through my EABCO catalog last night and remember seeing this in it. No experience whatsoever.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
crazyTKDsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to crazyTKDsquirrel Send a message via MSN to crazyTKDsquirrel
Quote:
Well I guess drilling a concentric hole in the bullet would be a challenge.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:21 PM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I read a thread here a while ago where a guy was chucking up .22s in a lathe (one at a time) to modify hollow-points.

He was not making hollow-points out of solids, just opening them up like the Paco tool does.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ToxicSports
I have made a few hundred HP SSS cartridges. I used the EABCO HP tool.

They shoot fairly well out of my CZ Varmint and Ultra Lux with a tumbler every now and then.

I posted a pic of them way back and I'll try to find it.

Quote:
The 60-grain bullet is hard to stabilize. Drilling out some weight from the tip should help this problem.
Quote:
Not really. The length of the bullet is still the key to the stabilization problem. I get the same accuracy, or lack there of, with the solid or HP SSS cartridges.

Quote:
I think the velocity of this bullet is well below the speed of sound so reducing the weight would bring it closer to a standard sub-sonic.

Yes and no. Yes, the velocity is a tad faster. No, it's not that much...at least out of my rifles. I'll need to shoot them over the chrony again since all my info was lost to a Hard drive crash.

Quote:
You would still have a very heavy, deep penetrating bullet (maybe 50 or 55 grain) however, it would produce a larger wound channel.

This is true. However, the HP collapses into itself (implodes) and basically gets the bullet tumbling much sooner. However, this is the observation from my CZ Varmint which shoots them fairly well. I'll re-test them once I get my SSS project rifle completed.

Quote:
How about a very large, very deep hollow-point? Reduce the bullet weight to 40-grain or less. One that would bring it above the speed of sound and cause it to turn in-side-out or fragment?

After seeing the HP's implode with the factory modified ammo it's hard to say what they would do.

TS

Last edited by ToxicSports; 06-05-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:10 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ToxicSports
Here's the pic:

I'll try to see if I have any recovered bullets to show how the HP collapses. It basically "bites" the hide of the critter and starts to tumble very quickly.

Granted, that is out of my CZ Varmint. Once my SSS project rifle is finished I'll re-test them to see what the 1-9" twist rate can do with the HP.

TS
Old 06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
rbrown
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man, those are some funny looking shells.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
KBlair
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The SSS is one of my favorite rounds out of my Rem 513T. The POI is a couple inches lower at 50 yards, but that's easily compemsated for. I still can't find the twist rate for my barrel, but it's 27" long son I'm sure it's WELL below sonic velocities when it exits the barrel.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ToxicSports... YOU ARE THE MAN