Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > Other Rimfire Guns > .17HMR

Please support RFC by supporting our sponsors!

Old 01-01-2006, 06:34 PM
JAM66

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
BSA Sweet 17 Scopes?

Are these decent scopes for the money? Do you really need the adjustable Elevation turret on top thats "calibrated" for the .17 hmr?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
nbkky71

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I recently bought a Marlin 917V rifle and it came with a Sweet 17 6-18x optics. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

The elevation turret makes it easy if you're going to engage targets at various ranges. All you have to do is turn the elevtation turret to match the range of your target.

I guess it's really not necessary if you're shooting at a fixed distance all the time
Old 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
jdparv13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BSA Sweet 17

I have the 3-12x40. I wish I had the 6-18 power. I really like the scope. I have had no trouble with it. If you know the range then just dial it in on the scope and blast away.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:28 PM
dustinn3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 6x18x40. I wouldn't say you need the elevation turrets, but if you don't want to have to hold over, they sure make it nice. As far as the scope goes it's a cheaper end scope so it doesn't have the clarity that a higher end scope would have, up past about 12x it starts getting fuzzy. I have to fight pretty hard, especially at higher magnifications, to see out of the scope, the slightest movement makes it go black. Could be worse though, a friend has a cheap bushnell scope on his and it makes my eyes water trying to look through it. It's no Leupold, but it cost 1/5 the price. For what I paid, I'm satisfied.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
jaybones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdparv13
I have the 3-12x40. I wish I had the 6-18 power. I really like the scope. I have had no trouble with it. If you know the range then just dial it in on the scope and blast away.
I have a 3-12X40 also, and now wish I had a higher power- to take advantage of the .17's range and for target shooting. Also have a 36X BSA Platinum Target and have had no problems with either one.

Both scopes have a lot of features for the money- threaded scope covers, target/range turrets with positive clicks, sun shades, smooth turning adjustable objective, etc. I also like the rubber-type coatings and find the optics to be clear enough for the price.

Some people here have reported problems with their BSA's, so maybe I've gotten lucky. I also haven't been spoiled by the high dollar stuff, so maybe ignorance is bliss.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Coyote 1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I've got the BSA sweet 17 3x12 and I've had no problem's with it at any magnafication, as far as a scope going black when head movement happen's that has to do with the eye relief on the scope and the BSA scope's eye relief is adjustable by turning the eye piece in or out to best fit your head position in which you hold your cheek on the stock. Any scope will go black with head movement no matter the dollar figure of the scope high dollar or not. bottom line BSA make's very nice scope's for the intended purpose of the scope.and money
Old 01-02-2006, 10:18 AM
dustinn3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Coyote 1,

I realize that any scope will go black with excessive movement, but I've been spoiled by my Leupold's. I don't have to fight them at all, due to their generous eye relief, where I do on this scope. I know a lot of other people have the same complaint with theirs, and several others who shot mine said the same thing. However, I still think it was a good value for the money. Just giving my honest opinion.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:27 AM
spurs101
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up

I've been satisified with the scope for the intended purpose. Holds zero well and reasonably clear optics. I've got one mounted on my CZ 17HMR. American. Because the vast amount of shooting opportunities seldom exceed 150 yards in my neck of the country - I've stayed with the lower powered 2 x 7. This may have an impact on the "fuzzzy" factor. Good value for the buck.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
easy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have had a 2x7 now for about a year.My scope will in no way paralex ajust at 50 yards.Will do ok at 100 yards if you set it on 175.The optics are hard on your eyes but if you look around in there a little you can find a fairly clear spot.With that said,we have shot a lot of golf balls out to 200 yards and crows as far as 287 yards. It holds zero well and the yardage marks are on target.I realy wish Weaver or Nikon would make one.They are realy a handy little scope.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
shooter64738

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the BSA Contender currently on my HMR. As for BSA's in general, they seem to hold zero very well, and are reasonably clear. My AO will adjust down to 15 yards, and the distance indicators are pretty close for me.

As for the sweet 17 in particular, I have found you don't need the sweet 17 with it's stamped range settings. I found I can set my contender at 0 for 50yds, 10 for 100 yards, and 20 for 200 yards. It's not as perfect probably as the sweet 17 settings, but with a little practice you could determine your elevation settings before hand for several distances. the 17hmr shoots pretty flat so 0 to 100 yards won't change it too much.