Model 81 manual? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
milleron
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 81 manual?

I have a JC Higgins model 103.229, AKA Marlin Model 81, that I bought around 1959 with money from the first paycheck of my first summer job. It languished in my dad's basement since 1963, and I recently recovered it. It was actually in pretty good shape with only trace rust on the outside of the barrel. I disassembled it, scoured the congealed and hardened oil from the action, ran the bolt through the ultrasonic cleaner, lubed and took it to the range. The tiny 4x scope with a 15mm objective actually placed the first shot within 3" of the bull at 25 yards. The gun hadn't been fired in over half a century, but there were NO failures to feed, fire, or eject. With CCI SV off a crummy plastic rest my range supplied, it was shooting 3 MOA groups. With a proper rest, decent scope, and some Eley Club, I believe I might get that down to 1-2 MOA.
With proof in hand that it's a serviceable rifle, I contacted Marlin to get a manual. I thought that this was a Model 81, but they told me that they stopped making that gun in 1939. They were able to send me a PDF of the manual for the Model 81-C and 81-DL. That was all I needed, but I was alarmed to find that they do not have a copy of the Model 81 manual, because "all records" of it were lost in a fire there some time ago.
So does anyone have a Marlin Model 81 manual? If so, the company could apparently use a copy or PDF.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (109)
This is the manual for your rifle, courtesy of Steve's Pages.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_229.pdf
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Marlin 81dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleron View Post
I have a JC Higgins model 103.229, AKA Marlin Model 81, that I bought around 1959 with money from the first paycheck of my first summer job. It languished in my dad's basement since 1963, and I recently recovered it. It was actually in pretty good shape with only trace rust on the outside of the barrel. I disassembled it, scoured the congealed and hardened oil from the action, ran the bolt through the ultrasonic cleaner, lubed and took it to the range. The tiny 4x scope with a 15mm objective actually placed the first shot within 3" of the bull at 25 yards. The gun hadn't been fired in over half a century, but there were NO failures to feed, fire, or eject. With CCI SV off a crummy plastic rest my range supplied, it was shooting 3 MOA groups. With a proper rest, decent scope, and some Eley Club, I believe I might get that down to 1-2 MOA.
With proof in hand that it's a serviceable rifle, I contacted Marlin to get a manual. I thought that this was a Model 81, but they told me that they stopped making that gun in 1939. They were able to send me a PDF of the manual for the Model 81-C and 81-DL. That was all I needed, but I was alarmed to find that they do not have a copy of the Model 81 manual, because "all records" of it were lost in a fire there some time ago.
So does anyone have a Marlin Model 81 manual? If so, the company could apparently use a copy or PDF.
I have been looking EVERYWHERE for this manual for my new to me 81DL. could you please send the PDF to my email? I would really appreciate it, PM me if you will and I will send you my home e-mail address.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (109)
Click on the link I posted above, and the PDF will open for you, then click on download and you will have it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wink MARLIN 81DL manual

I need this manual that Marlin sent OP.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 PM
milleron
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
This is the manual for your rifle, courtesy of Steve's Pages.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_229.pdf
Thanks!! That's actually a better manual than the one Marlin supplied with the 81-C/91-DL.