Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
Sounds good. I'll give VQ a call on Monday to buy the sear.
You are going to need a little more than $28. They want $15 for shipping on all the small things I've looked at ordering from them.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrowhead has a good point. For some reason, VQ parts are usually cheaper when bought from a vendor. The MKII sear works fine and you can get it from Rimfire Sports for $28 (free shipping).

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=VC2
Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
Sounds good. I'll give VQ a call on Monday to buy the sear.
Or, you can send me a PM. There is an alternative.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:52 PM
stevenstark711

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can get from midway for 26.00
Sorry not for Mk 4 yet
Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Last edited by stevenstark711; 05-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
+1

Totally correct. The mag disconnect has nothing to do with trigger pull weight OR trigger design. The "fin" on the trigger is there to compensate for the design of the mag release. It lifts the mag to it's stops to improve feeding. That is all.
Apparently the trigger stinks for reasons I don't understand. I read and re-read and I guess, I may never understand. I am happy to be ride of that mess, on my MkIII ,which ever the offending parts might have been.

I know a VQ full kit (Mk II parts in a III) will remove and replace enough garbage for a trigger pull which is smooth, repeatable (by feel) and much lighter. It is a darn shame that even in the top of the line competition target this is what the customer has to deal with. And the Mk IV trigger, worse than the III! That is my random sample.

I also found out there are pitfalls and it takes more than just parts swapping to reliably fix this mess (in my III) . I do appreciate all the good help from RFC, just excellent really. I am sure the OP is in good hands as well.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Arrowhead has a good point. For some reason, VQ parts are usually cheaper when bought from a vendor. The MKII sear works fine and you can get it from Rimfire Sports for $28 (free shipping).

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=VC2
I installed one in my Mk IV after reading your earlier post. It was great-- for a couple of mags and then the hammer started failing to reset every 4 or 5 shots and just got worse until it wouldn't reset at all. It's now in the box with some more Ruger parts and my MK IV is back to doing what it is supposed to do but with a much better trigger than when new--- after installing the Volquartson Mk IV kit.

I am blaming it on manufacturing tolerances between the two guns.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:13 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Hmmm, trigger quality? Now just what the heck does that mean? I can just imagine a new owner of a Ruger Mark IV pistol, first purchase of a .22 rimfire pistol ever, coming here to RFC and reading that he just bought a pistol with a poor trigger.

The trigger itself is not the best fit I've seen, several times now, as it pivots over the trigger pivot pin. Some actually wobble and slide from side to side, but that all can be fixed, but NOT by sending it back to Ruger. The width of the Ruger Mark IV trigger is quite a bit thinner than the previous Ruger Mark triggers, to accommodate the way the cut-out for it in the trigger guard was done.

The Volquartsen sear has ALWAYS been thee best method used to improved "trigger pull weight" and feel, on Ruger Mark trigger systems, and now it still is with the Mark IV.

The magazine disconnect parts in both the Ruger Mark III and the Mark IV don't have a dang thing to do with trigger quality, and effect the actual trigger pull only a minuscule amount, if at all.

What doesn't do either the Mark III, or Mark IV triggers a lick of good though, is the "fin" on the back face of both versions of the triggers used in these two versions. Due to the presence of the magazine disco parts the engineers at Ruger feel that that fin will engage the notch on the upper, top left of the magazine and help seat the magazine up and into place more positively, but there again, nobody will get a hernia because the "trigger pull" is a bit heavier.

If you stick with the factory trigger and install a Volquartsen sear, give some thought grinding off that fin on the back face of the trigger. Or better yet, get a well fitting "steel" trigger as a replacement. Working on that solution right now.
I'm willing to bet everyone except you understood the term "trigger quality" as used in the context of this discussion.

The MKIV magazine disconnector has zero effect on trigger quality (ie trigger pull for you.) Not minuscule...none

Tell us how the trigger with a fin has any effect on trigger pull weight with a latched in magazine...or is that a WAG of yours?. For those who want to see for themselves...pull the receiver/barrel , insert/latch in a magazine, push the follower down to view the notch in magazine, pull the trigger, look down at the fin and it's engagement with the magazine. Hummm...the fin doesn't even come close to engaging, grabbing or lifting the magazine. Pretty tough for this scenario to add any additional trigger pull weight when the fin does nothing on a latched in magazine.

trigger fully pulled...look at the gap

Last edited by rws53; 05-23-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey rws53.

Thanks for raising the concern. It's been several years since the Ruger trigger has been in my pistol, but it definitely does engage the mag - just not with the top of the fin.

I pulled the trigger out of the spare parts bin and checked the fit to a mag outside of the gun. I found where the increases in trigger pull comes from and identified a second function of the fin. The purpose of the raised nub on the magazine is the only thing that is still unclear. I'm afraid I will need to reinstall the Ruger trigger to see if I can find a purpose for it. Once done, I will run my findings by you off line so we can check MKIV vs. MKIII functionality. There may be less need for the fin on the MKIV.

Since this thread is about the sear, I will start a new thread about the OEM trigger when we finish this review. Thanks all!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, guys. I've heard some bad reports about using the older VQ sears in the Mk IV.