Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

There are numerous "roll-up" cloth pocketed pouches made for double stack pistol magazines or AR-type rifle magazines. They will protect Ruger 10, 15 or 25 round 10/22 magazines too.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
Vicegrips
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grats on your new .22! I think you've made an excellent choice. I bought an RAR model 8334 to go with a couple of 10/22s, one 20 year old standard model, and a takedown model acquired last year.

You'll find a solution for magazine storage that suits your needs, I'm sure. Several good suggestions so far in this thread.

May I offer you a suggestion? Mark each of your magazines with a unique identifier. Doesn't matter if it's letters, numbers, hash marks, or other. I bought a bottle of white nail polish at the dollar store and marked each mag with hash marks on the bottom.

Eventually you will encounter feeding problems which may be frustrating to isolate. Is it ammo? Is it one particular magazine? If you mark them now, when you do have problems, at least you'll be able to note in your field notebook what problems you observed. I use the same BX-1 mags in both 10/22s and the RAR. I have one of those cheap "write down your homework assignment" notebooks that I keep in the gear bag that I'll have with me no matter which firearms I take to shoot.

For example, just a couple of one liners like this can be helpful:
4/17/2017 RAR 2/150 x FTF both mag #2 last rd using CCI SV
4/17/2017 TD 1/100 FTF mag #2 Aquila SE 40gr plated

Meaning "on 4/17 fired 150 round through the Ruger American Rimfire using CCI brand standard velocity ammo. experienced 2 failures to feed, both using mag #2 when attempting to feed the last round in the mag. On that day I also fired 100 rounds through the Takedown 10/22 using Aquila Super Extra plated ammo. One failure to feed from mag #2."

So, I can take a guess that the problem is magazine #2. Take it apart, clean thoroughly, reassemble with proper spring tension. That's a cheap and easy first pass at the problem.

I only use Ruger magazines now. Many have had success with other brands. But I can use these magazines in 3 different rifles, so I don't mind paying for factory mags. Both the BX-1 and the BX-25 mags have been great for me. I mark the mags on the bottom where the indentation with the Ruger logo is. There the marks won't get scraped off from being inserted into the rifle, or sliding around base down on a table. You'll figure out something that works for you.

If you haven't had much formal training on rifle shooting, I can heartily recommend you check out the Appleseed program. You may have seen "Rifleman" symbols next to some forum member's names. Those folks have usually gone through a 2 day program and demonstrated their ability with the skills taught in the program by scoring well enough on a standardized target. Full price adult ticket for two days of superb training typically runs about $60 plus sometimes a few bucks to the host range. You will probably never find two days of quality firearms training for anywhere near that price. And youth can go for only $20! Twenty bucks! My grandsons and I will attend another Appleseed next month if all goes well. Yes, it's more work to run the bolt action than an auto-loader. But people qualify with bolt action rifles regularly. I'll be running the RAR at my next Appleseed, as the grandsons will use the 10/22s.

Have a safe, fun, fabulous time with an excellent 22 rifle!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 AM
xl_target
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
...Further, I wasn't sure if the magazines knocking together in a pocket or loose in a box (or similar) could damage them in some way making me think that separating them in storage would be best.

I understand that with the bolt action, I won't be inclined to rip through ammo as easily as a semi-auto may inspire one to do. Also, the bolt action was a deliberate choice to slow me down as I'm more into learning to shoot well and accurately.

Thanks again all - regards - Freddo
The Ruger BX1 mags are some of the toughest and most reliable .22 LR magazines out there. You will find it is not easy to damage them.

I bought my first 10/22 in 1984 and for a long time I only had the mag that came with the rifle. I did all my range shooting and hunting with that one mag, even thought it was a semi auto. It was only when I went to an Appleseed shoot that I purchased a bunch of extra mags.

If you want to learn how to shoot well, you can... and it won't matter how many magazines you have available. If you are really interested in learning the basics of shooting a rifle properly, try and find an Appleseed event near you. You won't regret it.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM
bthg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keep mine in a mesh bag (like you use for garlic,etc). Diff bag for diff mags and just hang them in safe. Drop this bag into range bag when going out.