Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New stuff penetration tests

7K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  HapsKatch22 
#1 ·
Anybody know which penetrates deeper, white or yellow box? Tests, what kind?
At first I thought the lead nose would be the best but, after pontificating a bit I'm leaning the other way thinking the deeper hp brass would peel back, off, leaving the lead more intact than the exposed lead hp, which would encourage the lead to break up.
Thoughts? Don't make me go to the 'other' site. :rolleyes::)

See less See more
#12 ·
And then you must wait until some one dies before you can get your hands on one.

I have both, a 591 I found at a gun show for $317.00. The 592 at a pawn show for $347.00. They are out there, and a lot of fun to shoot. I have found the Remington White box and Green and yellow box ammo as well. Get yourself one and have fun. Most people have never seen a 5MM. You will love this round.

#18 ·
Hey Al...

Hey Al, get that clay up to temp and get that test done!!! Here is a link to a similar test I did quite a while ago in the 17 Aguilla. (aka 17 HS) The test was quite the eye opener for me and was instrumental in deciding to rechamber to 17 Mach2.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4441087&postcount=10
Just bring the clay upstairs to get it to the right temp range, then when the opportune time arrives take it downstairs and do the test!!!
God Bless, Frank.

#21 ·
So I get my hands on a rectal thermo. and I start looking for a ground squirrel to get a temperatur reading. I hope AL has a number to use because this might be harder then one might think. You know with all the snow on the ground and a squirrel thats not up to the test. Any body have a second idea on a temperatur number.

#23 ·
No gs here so my coyotes body temp, if the same as a dog should run 99-102º, so I read.
My gun stock is cured enough and the wife might be off shopping tomorrows it could happen if I'm up for it. I got the crud going around for 2 weeks now and the lungs have a pneumonia feeling to em. If I get to it I'll pop it into the oven along with my safe desiccant and the wifes oral thermometer. Least it won't be up a fresh coyotes arse eh? :D

BTW we got 178" snow total and a bit E they have 62" officially on the ground. If you fall over ya could snow drown. :p

test gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.