Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

A nice TRP-3

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  black1970 
#1 ·
Just a heads up about one listed in the classifieds that is a good deal! Includes a tuner, 2oz trigger and bases. Added bonus is Keith is a great guy to deal with! I would be all over this if I did not already have one.

#2 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike!

Thanks for the kind words Mike!
I haven't had much interest in the TRP either here or on a couple other forums. I'm not too surprised with that given that most have a "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday" mentality. Rightfully so I guess.
The TRP's are kinda in a tough place as I see it. I guess when they were conceived there probably wasn't as many custom actions & rifles as there are now. They could be competitive in at least the marketplace. But to try & be in the br market today for them is kinda foolish. There's very few using them in sanctioned competition.
I don't think they fall into most factory class rules either unless there's Unlimited factory offered at ranges. The one time I did see one at a factory match the other shooters complained to put it nicely.
Its a wonder that they're even offered any more given those 2 things. It hard for me to believe that Cooper sells very many of them. And that's too bad as I feel like they're great shooting rifles.
I'm not sure if saying all that helps or hurts my sale but it what I think. :bthumb:

Keith

Moderators: If my post breaks a forum rule s as far as sales go please feel free to remove it. thanks

#4 ·
Thanks for the kind words Mike!
I haven't had much interest in the TRP either here or on a couple other forums. I'm not too surprised with that given that most have a "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday" mentality. Rightfully so I guess.
The TRP's are kinda in a tough place as I see it. I guess when they were conceived there probably wasn't as many custom actions & rifles as there are now. They could be competitive in at least the marketplace. But to try & be in the br market today for them is kinda foolish. There's very few using them in sanctioned competition.
I don't think they fall into most factory class rules either unless there's Unlimited factory offered at ranges. The one time I did see one at a factory match the other shooters complained to put it nicely.
Its a wonder that they're even offered any more given those 2 things. It hard for me to believe that Cooper sells very many of them. And that's too bad as I feel like they're great shooting rifles.
I'm not sure if saying all that helps or hurts my sale but it what I think. :bthumb:

Keith

Moderators: If my post breaks a forum rule s as far as sales go please feel free to remove it. thanks
Sometimes I think guns are like muscle cars and once in the while a manufacturer will produce a model that is as close to a factory racer that us mere mortals will ever have a chance to own. I put the TRP in that category. For the money, you get a lot of bag for the buck. One of my favorite TRP memories was a casual range outing while sharing a bench with a shooting buddy and using my TRP-3 as a staple remover on his target. 4 shots, 4 staples neutralized and his target hit the ground. Thank you Cooper for an American made factory racer!

#5 ·
I think the "factory racer" metaphor is a good description. I also own a 57M TRP, not the 3. It had the sporter stock but I restocked it with a type 3 style stock to ride my 1-piece rest better. When the wind is down or blowing steady from one direction, it is a reliable 2200 ARA shooter with the right Eley Match. The six conventional groove barrel IMHO makes it fussy in shifting wind. That places a higher demand upon me for reading my flags right, which I'll be the first to admit I don't do as well as I wished I could. I shoot in a 3-berm wind trap. The wind is doing different things all over the course. I'll shoot a 1925, followed by a 2200 card followed by an 1850, followed by a 2350. I tried some Midas and it didn't shoot it nearly as well. Ditto on R50. It engraves those latter two bullets quite a ways down past the second band.

My backup was a factory 40Xb wearing the same power scope. It was a so-so but affordable backup for a working stiff on a budget. I recently had it rebarreled with a Shilen 4R and though its only been out twice as the MN spring is flirtatious, it is already showing a greater disregard for the wind. Also, it is chambered for Lapua/RWS ammo. Definitely shoots them better than Eley. Truth be told the best it has shot in this short time is with a couple of 4 year old orphan boxes of Wolf ME. Go figure... Bottom line is it has replaced the TRP as my starter.

Hoot

#6 · (Edited)
Trp3 shooting class

Have seen several coops shoot very well with proper ammo selection and shooter skills. May not beat a full blown
custom but is good for club shooting. I purchased a TRP 3 use as new very happy with it. I put it in light stock to shoot in 9 # class.
Class has several Annes......it does well.

#11 ·
I do still have it & recently put a Weaver 36x back on it. I was selling a couple rifles to fund a cfbr rifle which I was able to acquire. I've had 2nd thoughts on selling it since which is why it wasn't relisted.
Shot it last weekend with the new/used scope & wondered to myself why I ever went the custom action/gun route. It shoots good!

Keith

#13 ·
Well Mike, IMO its as good as the customs I have. I seem to shoot the same basic scores with it. So maybe its living large, or the customs aren't that great. But most likely I'm the problem. Not the most patient person when waiting on conditions.
Most br shooters will say that you'd be at a disadvantage without a custom rig & to some extent I'll go along with that. There are refinements that gunsmiths do with the actions & barrels. Not to mention a chamber that's much more in tune with the ammo they intend to shoot.My Cooper has had a little work done in this regard so it isn't straight from the factory.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.