"IF" You Were to Replace Your 77/22............ - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Barrel with an aftermarket barrel, which one did, or would you choose? I'd like to try a 22 to 24 inch barrel if those are available.
A 24 or even longer would ba a benefit if using iron sights otherwise 18 will do the job, 20 looks a little better.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:29 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've got a 77/22 (full CPC re-work) and a 77/17 that's on the way to CPC soon. Neither rifle shoots really well. I'd like CPC to fit a 16" Lija to both rifles but haven't explored weather or not Lija will make that sort of thing (or if CPC recommends it). I desperately want these rifles to shoot well but have other projects I'd like to work on first.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
I've got a 77/22 (full CPC re-work) and a 77/17 that's on the way to CPC soon. Neither rifle shoots really well. I'd like CPC to fit a 16" Lija to both rifles but haven't explored weather or not Lija will make that sort of thing (or if CPC recommends it). I desperately want these rifles to shoot well but have other projects I'd like to work on first.

Hope that helped.
Hey, all input helps as it all goes into the "gray matter computer" and gets rolled around for analysis.
I have a 24" VBZ .22 Magnum Ruger 77/22M and I have an extra 24" barrel for it in .17 HMR. Best combo ever for the .17/.22 variations. That .17 HMR creates nothing but "red mist" on smaller critters, and fox drop like, right now, with the hollow points.
I'm just, at this point, hung up on what/who considers which length barrel is "optimum" for the .22 Long Rifle round. Maybe I'm not understanding the "optimum" concept the way it was initially intended.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 AM
DaleSalmon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The super long barrels of old target guns actually slowed bullets down. And when your round is slowed down to subsonic velocity out the muzzle.... your bullet's flight won't suffer any wobble incurred by the supersonic transition.

So the idea was long barrels where more accurate. In fact is was the long barrel was making the flight more stable through velocity reduction. And the target guns tended to have better care in their production quality including the crown.

Last edited by DaleSalmon; 05-03-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
As far as a bullet "slowing down" inside a 24 or 26 inch .22 rimfire barrel, I haven't found that to be the case. Read Post #4 again. Starting with a 16 inch .22 rimfire barrel and then progressing up using 18, 20, 22, 24 and then 26 inch barreled rifles I realized a velocity gain with each longer barrel. Granted, it was not a substantial velocity gain, but I did record a measured gain over my chronograph. Chronographs don't lie, they do one thing very well......record velocity.

I have 24 inch barrels on a couple rifles, and I have found that the barrel contour on a barrel of that length makes a huge difference in the amount of weight being "lugged" around, especially out west hunting antelope. For a .22 rimfire, the 24 inch barrel length does become a bit "unwieldy" when skulking around in my woods out back.

As I do my "personally entertaining" experimentation with .22 rimfire barrel length, I guess I'm just gonna concentrate on testing 20 & 21 inch barrel lengths to see if they satisfy my "optimum" needs/requirements.

Appreciate all the opinions though.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:06 PM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most highly teched out smallbore rifles I've seen have barrel of 16 or 18 inches. A gunsmith who builds those rifles told me that longer barrels just don't serve a purpose and the shorter ones are more accurate - something about powder burning rates.

Ed
Old 05-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
A few years ago (weelll, late 1980s, early 1990s) I got a 'hankerin' for a Ruger 77/22 or similar (I'd had a similar 'hankerin' a few years earlier but at that time I couldn't afford to pay attention, much less buy a new rifle. Having a few bucks in my pocket I began to haunt the local pawn shops lookin' for a 77/22, any 77/22. Before long I located a stainless, boat paddle Ruger at a local PS. Apparently it had been someone's truck gun. It was so cruddy the SS was brown & I couldn't tell what color the plastic inserts were in the boat paddle stock. Got it for a good price so I took it home & cleaned it up (inserts were green) & took it to the range with a good selection of LR ammo. It acted like it wanted to shoot but not to my satisfaction. Sometime around the late 1990s I bought a used computer from the state surplus store & thus began m internet adventures. I pretty quickly discovered Giz's 10/22 Forum (forerunner to RFC) so I began an internet search for another barrel and since I couldn't abide the boat paddle stock (yeah, I know they're the 'in' thing right now but I never liked that stock). I used some teak boards that the USAF had packed my 'hold baggage' in when I returned from Thailand in 1968 & carved some wood inserts to replace the ugly green plastic things on the stock. I also searched for a used walnut 77.22 stock (those thing were & still are scarcer than hen's teeth). A friend told me there were 'smiths' on benchrest central who occasionally 'swapped' out 77/22VBZ barrels which they might sell. Had to join BC but like RFC it was free & soon resulted in my obtaining a 24" 'target grey' 22LR VBZ barrel with a very low round count, for just a few $$ plus shipping. About that time a young man in Guntersville, AL had a listing on eBay where he'd bore out any 22 barrel, reline & rechamber it to 17HM2, guarantee less than 10day turnaround, & he'd supply a good quality liner, all for under $75 & he'd pay return shipping. I contacted him to see if the VBZ barrel would be a good candidate for such relining (I was then quite enamored of the then relatively new Mach2 cartridge) & he said he thought it'd be ideal, so I shipped the barrel off to Guntersville. Meanwhile I'd obtained a well used 77/22 walnut stock with a pretty beat up 'Kick-Eze' buttpad, again for little $. Our local deer season was in progress when I mailed the barrel & I was much more interested in deer hunting than trying out a new 17Mach2 rifle. I called home one evening & my wife said I'd received a package from Guntersville, AL so I drove home next day, put the metal together, hogged out the stock to fit the VBZ barrel & took the thing back to deer camp. We have a sorta makeshift range at camp that consists of 60yds of flat area with a large dirt 'bank' at one side (no benches or target holders). I drew a target (aiming point) on a foam plate, pinned it to a cardboard box & placed it next to the bank. Parked my ATV 60 long steps away, put the rifle across my ATV seat & proceeded to put 5 17HM2 rounds into a group smaller than a dime. This thing wanted to shoot. After deer season I did some squirrel hunting with the 'new' rifle. Only thing was with the 24" VBZ barrel, & the scope it was heavier than I like for a 'walkin' in the woods rifle'. I kinda liked the fluted stainless 20" barrel that Green Mountain had made but they were no longer in production. I called Kerry at Green Mountain every other week for the next year but was continually disappointed that they hadn't started production of the fluted stainless barrel yet. I'd finally just about given up when one day I got a call from Kerry at GM. She said they were going to start production of their 20" stainless fluted barrel in 22LR the next week, did I want one? I almost jumped through the phone & told her to send me one. Gave her my Credit Card # & pretty soon I had one of the GM stainless fluted barrels in my hands. Not long afterwards I got another call from Kerry, said that GM was gonna start production of an identical barrel in 17HM2, did I want one. Told her yeah, go ahead & send me one of those too.Meanwhile I'd acquired a 'new' old stock walnut stock so I started looking for a stainless trigger guard asembly. Guess what, Ruger didn't sell those except to gunsmiths. I found one of the target grey triggerguard assemblies at Brownells so I ordered one & after making sure it'd fit my stock & receiver correctly, a few seconds on my buffing wheel loaded with Polish-O-Ray 400 & it was as shiny as the original receiver. I had a Simmons 22Mag 2-9X32 AO scope in brushed aluminum color that I thought would look good on the rifle (I was wrong - I've since replaced that scope with a matte black identical scope with trget turrets) so I mounted & bore-sighted it & went to the range. It shot pretty well (under half inch 5-shot groups at 50yds) so I brought it home & swapped out the 22LR barrel for the 17Mach2. Took that one to the range after a couple of days & with the Eley Mach2 it shot in the 3s & 4s at 50yds. I was ecstatic that my 77/22, errr 17, finally shot better'n me. Couple of years ago Volquartsen was 'dumping' their 16" stainless "Running Boar' barrels in 17HM2 for the 77/22 for a ridiculously low price so I got one of those. Haven't tried it yet since the rifle shoots so well, especially since I put in a Timney sear which lowered my trigger pull to between 2 & 3lbs. One of these days I'll get around to trying the Running Boar barrel. I sold the boat paddle stock, inserts, the carved teak inserts, & the original 'pencil' barrel on eBay for about as much as I had in the rifle originally so what I have in it now is the cost of the GM barrels. the VBZ barrel (which I still have) the VQ Running Boar barrel, & the 2 walnut stocvks. Considerably les than you'd pay for a nice 77/22 now...

1st group with the newly relined VBZ barrel

boat paddle stock with green, & carved teak inserts

1st iteration with walnut stock & relined VBZ Barrel

final iteration with GM 17HM2 stainless fluted barrel, new walnut stock, & 1st 22Mag scope

Last edited by Nobody; 05-03-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:42 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There appears to be some wide tolerances from rifle to rifle, how the barrel fits, etc.
My rifle made in 1988 had considerable excessive headspace, and the bolts locking lugs were not making even contact with the pads in the receiver.
The lilja web site mentions that the locking lug contact is a common problem in this model. Others, feel its not an issue.

Looking at my blued receiver, it appeared the bolt lugs were making even contact by the wear marks.
I used a sharpy and inked the bolt lugs, and the pads in the receiver. After cycling the action several times, the ink showed that the upper pad was not contacting with the bolt closed.

So, what happened when the rifle was fired, the front part of the bolt would buckle, or move up and down.
To correct that, I hand worked the lower pad in the receiver with hand stones until the upper pad was making contact and stabilizing the bolt from movement.

That repair showed the most improvement in tightening up the groups with my particular rifle.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Based on how well my one in WMR performed, if I was to get another barrel from my 77/22 in lr, the first one I'd try would be a GM 22" octagon. The one on my wmr, shoots extremely close to how my Annie 1720dhb shot. It looks great too. I'm scared to touch the setup with how well it shoots or else I'd lop a couple inches off. My 77/22 lr has a cpc'd factory barrel and I'm not touching that setup either as well as it shoots.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Mine wears a volquartsen muzzle weighted barrel. I have 17hm2, 22lr, and 17hmr. They shoot and balance really well and they are threaded.

Iron
Old 05-05-2017, 09:13 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well it looks like I am not the only one proud of my fluted 20 inch GM barrel.
Right price right size for hunting.

John
Old 05-18-2017, 06:49 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
22 inch heavy Shilen varmint contour.

For the price also!!!
That's what my 77/22 has on it. It's in SS, and I got it at a price far less than what it retails for.