Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Chickm1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebelle View Post
The heavy barrel B Mags seem to be a good value especially the newer versions .

I had early skinny Bmags that were both problematic.

3 years ago I did not have a good word to say about the B Mags or Savage customer service . They seem to have done several improvements to both since then .
Totally agree with this. I also point out the bolt issue, of cocking on closing, which makes a glass smooth action, impossible. Also the screwy magazines that are a pain in the behind, to load.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 AM
EBAnd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickm1 View Post
Totally agree with this. I also point out the bolt issue, of cocking on closing, which makes a glass smooth action, impossible. Also the screwy magazines that are a pain in the behind, to load.

I have held off for several years buying a B Mag 17 WSM due to the numerous complaints with the early sporter B Mags. Last week I placed an order for one in the laminated stocked heavy barrel model. When you mention magazines,the 17 Hornet in the model 25 rifle I have...has a problem with feeding. You have to push the round out of the mag then stop the bolt..back it up a touch then push it forward to close the bolt into the receiver. Its not a Real problem for most varmint and target shooting but would be annoying If you needed fast follow up shots such as Fox or Coyote....I own a number of Savage rifles and the rimfires at times have all had their minor problems with cartridge feeding due to cheap magazines. I've over looked it some as those rimfires all have been very accurate... So for me its like 50...50 drawing when you order one of these 17 WSM B Mags for accuracy and function..
Old 04-17-2017, 04:11 AM
Chickm1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A heavy barrel and laminated stock, will probably cure some the issues I have. What kind of magazine does it have with the laminated stock?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You can take the mags apart, stretch/unwind the spring a little and put it back together with the spring(installed) almost loosey goosey for ease of loading. It may or may not take 2 trys to get it mostly right. 8th round will still suck to load but the rest will be easier. If not keep the mags full when not in use. A long shot but cheaper spring steel springs may take a bit of a set allowing a little more loading ease.
Quote:
A heavy barrel and laminated stock, will probably cure some the issues I have. What kind of magazine does it have with the laminated stock?
And might be more issues fitting mag wells from what I read; ya takes your chances.

Same mags.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 PM
aldeerhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a skinny barrel bmag when they first came out. This was before Savage released the heavy barreled guns. The gun consistently shot 1.5 moa as promised by Savage. It had no mechanical problems and I believe the lack of greater accuracy was ammo related.

Not being satisfied with the accuracy, and desirous of a heavy barreled varmint model, I sent the gun back to Savage and they allowed me to upgrade it to the heavy barrel varmint after some general persuasion on my part. The new gun shoots well under 1 inch 6 shot groups using the 25 grain Winchester ammo. Still, the ammo has proven to be a hit or miss proposition for me. I stockpiled a large a amount of ammo back in 2013 1nd 2014 when I could find it, and will be a while shooting up the early released, inconsistent ammo.

The magazine on both guns have worked fine. The magazines, like the bolts, have to be broken in before becoming properly lose. To me, that's no big deal. My biggest complaint is the creep in the accutrigger when shooting from the bench. Feeling the trigger travel does not do much for accuracy shooting from the bench. My trigger adjust down to 2lbs but has noticeable creep when shooting from the bench. I am hoping that someone will post a step by step mod or polishing video so that I can work on the trigger and resolve this problem.

All and all, for around $500.00, the varmint model bmag is as much gun as I could expect.