50 Yard Vintage and Unlimited Iron Sight Matches for March 2017. - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
March 2017

Tom Billeter(Keeley), Tucson AZ
Walther GX1, Factory sights with an adjustable rear iris(Seems to be a nesscity for these old eyes)
Ammo = Center X
Same old equipment
50/4X, 50/3X, 50/3X, 50/3X = 200/13X

Took several targets to get there yesterday and probably $30 worth of ammo.

Ed, My Old Gunsights book says the rear sight on your rifle is a Winchester 82A ladder. I don't remember exactly what the front looks lke so I'll throw the book in my car and you can look it up the next time we cross paths.

Great shooting whatever it is.

T
Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Florida, 3/31/17

Vintage

Martini 12/15, factory sights
Cabelas front rest, Protextor rear bag.
Wolf Match Extra, 72 degrees and windy enough
Black center A23/5 target
50-2x, 50-2x, 50-3x & 49-4x=199-11x
50-2x, 50-3x 50-2x & 50-3x=200-10x
Old 04-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Emagcon
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mdl 52 pre a

ThanksTom,for info on rear sight. Front sight turns out to be a Lyman 17a, first introduced in 1929 and an amber insert available from Lyman. Everything consistent
With 1932 factory date.

Ed

Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagiejoe View Post
Thank you, I did see the scoring graphic and info in the sticky but the one shot in the graphic similar to mine appears to touch the black. I also read the intro and rules at the beginning of this thread and could not find anything that specifically addresses whether on the line counts as in. Of course, I may have simply missed it.

I am trying to be as precise as possible because this target may be a 200-20x (a big deal to me because it would be my first. My previous best is 200-19x)) and I want to be fair when scoring. On the top right bull, of the two high shots, the plug crosses the line on the one on the left. The one on the right is the shot in question, as the plug does not touch the black but almost completely covers the line (my original pic).

Nice shooting sir. I agree with David Valdina, looks like a 200-20X to me too. Where in OC do you shoot? I shot at Seal Beach when I was in OC.

AJ
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 PM
hoagiejoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
Nice shooting sir. I agree with David Valdina, looks like a 200-20X to me too. Where in OC do you shoot? I shot at Seal Beach when I was in OC.

AJ
Thanks AJ!

How long ago were you out here? I ask because some outdoor ranges have gone away and traffic in the last 5 years has increased considerably...which makes it tough to get to the range! I avoid heading west as well, so no shooting in Seal beach for me (if it is even still possible!). Also, weekends generally mean a long wait at many ranges, unless a a shooter gets lined up an hour before the range opens. I have a friend who recently waited 3 hours to shoot at Raahauges (outdoor range in the Corona area) - and they charge 30 bucks to shoot!

Indoor pistol shooting I usually go to the OC Indoor Range in La Habra because it is close (I live in Placentia, about a mile north east of Cal State Fullerton) . For centerfire rifles, I either go to Burro Canyon (up Azusa Canyon) or Angeles, up near Sylmar. I generally use vacation time so I can shoot during the week. It still gets filled up but never a wait. Problem is traffic during the week. Burro isn't too bad, about 45 minutes to an hour. It goes out to 200 and they let us put clays and fruit out on a berm just past the 200 mark.

Angeles is 1:15 to 2 hours each way. Angeles lets us put targets out to 300 and has steel out to 600, great for the centerfires. It is also the best place for precision rimfire shooting because they have cement benches and wind generally isn't too bad. Burro has good benches, is generally very windy by 10am, though I really like heading up there.

I used to shoot rimfires at Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino (and still do occasionally) which is only about 25 minutes away. Problem is, the benches are too wobbly. Since shooting on the cement benches at Angeles, I have a hard time shooting for score anywhere else. I'd rather travel further and shoot once or twice a month with fewer variables.

Joe
Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For those who find it hard to get to a range...

For those who find it hard to get to a range and want trigger time, consider air guns. There is a match here on RFC for offhand 33 feet with air rifle or air pistol. You can find page one, with the basic rules here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=556810

You can get a Daisy 853 from any of the many air gun dealers or from CMP, which has rebuilt for $110 if my memory is working. Legal everywhere to the best of my knowledge. Can easily shoot inside the house.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:09 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoagiejoe View Post
Thanks AJ!

How long ago were you out here? I ask because some outdoor ranges have gone away and traffic in the last 5 years has increased considerably...which makes it tough to get to the range! I avoid heading west as well, so no shooting in Seal beach for me (if it is even still possible!). Also, weekends generally mean a long wait at many ranges, unless a a shooter gets lined up an hour before the range opens. I have a friend who recently waited 3 hours to shoot at Raahauges (outdoor range in the Corona area) - and they charge 30 bucks to shoot!
Joe
Joe,

I left Southern California in 1989, and was glad to do so. Some nice people, but to crowded even back then.

I lived in Seal Beach and also Los Alamitos. The reason I lived there I was stationed at the Naval Weapons Station in Seal Beach. I was the Guard Chief for the military side of the security. We had outlying branches at Corona, Pomona and Fallbrook.

At NWS Seal Beach, we had three ranges on station. Mainly they were handgun and shotgun. Sometimes we could sneak in some small bore rifle. Even though our berms were 30 feet tall no bigbore rifle (PCH is about 3/4 of a mile or so downrange).We had 22 different law enforcement agencies using our ranges(Secret Service to local PD's).

Best part was it was free and open to me day or night. We had lights on the range for night shoots.

Here in Florida we shoot here http://www.goshootingirc.com/ and it is six miles from my house.

AJ
Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
April 2017

Tom Billeter, (Keeley) Tucson AZ
Winshester 52B, Freeland sights front and rear, Lapua Center X
Cowan Front, Protektor rear
50/2X, 50/3X, 50/3X, 50/4X = 200/12X