Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

29" barrel in modded Carbine Stock w PWS T3 recvr

418 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CardPuncher 
#1 · (Edited)
Short on money but long on marginal stocks. Took a hard look at my fav barrelled action: PWS T3 Toggle recvr/URS 29" barrel and Kidd kitted poly trigger group. The stocks I have are OEM Ruger poly (nasty) stock, Archangel target (another project ongoing with that one) and an OEM carbine stock. I tried hogging out the barrel bands, both metal and plastic, to go over the URS barrel and standard stock. No Go! So decided on hogging out the carbine stock to free float the URS barrel, then rasping the area between the barrel band point and the forend. Decided on taking all the OEM finish off and leaving it "white." Although the forend leaves something to be desired the piece seems to resonate. I'm using pencil sinkers (catfish) drilled into the stock to bring the balance to midpoint for off hand shooting. Scope is Swift AO 6-18 Mildot.

Put a metal mechanical bed using a cutoff piece very hard piece of metal from a putty knife and closed cell foam pressure points. I couldn't pierce the metal of the putty
knife with a standard electric drill and various bits, but used a conical stone for a Foredom to make the holes in the metal bedding sleeve. Crazy! Interestingly enough the cheek weld to sight picture is perfect with no cheek riser.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job!!! Yes, it does resonate. I like the way you tapered the fore end.

I have found that an 18" bull barrel is more than I want to handle for offhand shooting. You have a chunk of steel nearly a foot longer than that, and you're adding lead to the stock! What's that rig weigh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.