Cowboy lever action 22 - what are you all shooting? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Marlin 39a or my Marlin1892 that is over 100years old! The arguements against choosing a 39a,too nose heavy,is exactly why they are my choice,that and the fact that they are solid reliable american made guns with real quality
Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flier View Post
Yeah, I'm looking at a 9422 from the early 2000s, so was just wondering how it might compare to earlier runs. It's certainly not cheap, but appears to be in excellent condition. I really want a Legacy, but you never see them for sale here.
As mentioned earlier, we have 1975, 2000 and 2004 9422's. The earlier and later ones all shoot great. Machine work and furniture fit is also excellent on all of them. The only discernible difference is the early rifle has smoother polish/bluing on the receiver.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry just announced a 24" barrel version of the Frontier. This a exactly what Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette needs to bring in new shooters! Instead of trying to find a decent used 9422 or 39A, you can now buy a brand new 24" Henry for just $470!

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/l...rontier-rifle/

Old 03-05-2017, 10:54 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cowboy SILO

I shoot an older 39a-Mountie with a receiver mounted William's peep sight. If I wasn't using 65 year old eyes I might score a little better.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a Marlin39 TDS with the 16" barrels and it came used with a Lyman receiver peep sight. I don't shoot silhouette, but this little package seems to be very accurate. It's the mostest fun rimfire that I have.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I know it was a long time coming . . . but finally the right rifle showed up today and I bought it: a 9422 XTR circa 1981. It's in excellent condition, with very little use, and has the checkering with the older S/L/LR action. It will be a while until I get to take it home (Aussie firearms licensing regulations are time-consuming), but I think I'll be happy with. It was a good price, too - not much more than a new Norinco (LOL!) - and should serve me well. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, finally got Photobucket to work, so here are some pix. I paid about US$600 for this rifle, which is a good price here in Australia, as they are not easy to come by in this condition.

And here is a complete fluke of a shot I managed at my local range the other day shooting the club 9422 at 50m (55 yards) using standard open sights. This convinced me I needed one!

Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
And here is a complete fluke of a shot I managed at my local range the other day shooting the club 9422 at 50m (55 yards) using standard open sights. This convinced me I needed one!

My best groups are one shot groups.

Nice rifle. I keep hoping to stumble across one of the XTR .22 Magnums for Pistol Cartridge Silhouette.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just bought the 24" Henry Frontier and couldn't be happier. Trigger sits at 2.4 lbs and the rifle holds right about 9/16" of an inch at 50 yards with SK Standard plus. Outside edges. About 3/8" of an inch after bullet displacement.

I don't think the sport can be gotten into any cheaper and Henry's customer service is top notch. I actually sent the first one back because I wasn't happy with the accuracy. From that day to when I received the rifle back was exactly 2 weeks. After I was content with the grouping with a scope, I put a Williams on the rear, extended elevation screw, gib screw, Merit disc, Lyman 17 AUG and Sullivan fiber optic insert immediately.

I shot my first Cowboy match every this past Saturday. The Henry was fed Mini Mags for both Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge. 31/40 in Smallbore and 30/40 in Pistol Cartridge not counting two rung rams.

If they made this 24" model in .357 or 32-20, I'd buy one today.

Last edited by Doodaddy; 03-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice shooting - can't argue with that. You guys are lucky you can return your rifles to the manufacturer with quick turn-around times if they're not up to scratch. Things move much slower than that here.

I like the Henrys, and almost bought one at one stage, but with gun laws being what they are in Australia, you have to pick and choose carefully, because you are limited to the types and numbers of firearms you are allowed to own.

So, if I could have only one lever action .22 - which is pretty much what we're limited to (unless you purchase club-supported firearms on a limited registry) - then it was hard for me to go past the Winchester. Every time I pick one up, they just feel nicely balanced. The actions are the slickest of any other LA I've tried, and I like that they are made from forged steel and built to last. There is a reason they hold their resale value and that's pretty much because they don't make them like that anymore.

There may be more accurate rifles around, but I guess I just like the idea of owning a classic that I can keep for a long, long time and still have some fun with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
My best groups are one shot groups.

Nice rifle. I keep hoping to stumble across one of the XTR .22 Magnums for Pistol Cartridge Silhouette.
Haha! Yeah, I know. I just put that up there because I picked up the club 9422, aimed and shot a complete fluke at 50m.

I was interested to read Doodaddy's post above where he shot his .22 in pistol cartridge to good effect. I was thinking of doing the same, but over the weekend, a friend of mine took his 9422 to the range, loaded it with velocitors (hardest-hitting .22 ammo we could find), and still couldn't knock down the pistol rams at 100m . I guess you've gotta hit em to knock em down, but having rung my fair share of rimfire rams in the past, I've now all but dismissed using a .22 for serious pistol cartridge competition. My friend has matching .22 and .22wmr 9422s, and I've got the option of getting a very early ('78) .22wmr XTR with the plain stock from the same source I purchased my .22. It's probably in better condition, too. Still thinking about it at this stage (and only because it's such a PIA to purchase firearms here).
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
I was interested to read Doodaddy's post above where he shot his .22 in pistol cartridge to good effect. I was thinking of doing the same, but over the weekend, a friend of mine took his 9422 to the range, loaded it with velocitors (hardest-hitting .22 ammo we could find), and still couldn't knock down the pistol rams at 100m . I guess you've gotta hit em to knock em down, but having rung my fair share of rimfire rams in the past, I've now all but dismissed using a .22 for serious pistol cartridge competition.
I tried Velocitors. I wasn't impressed with their accuracy. I've heard (or read) many competitors state that accuracy isn't critical in this game because of the relative size of the target. While that is true, I've found that I take down rams pretty well with my Marlin using SK Standard Plus. Frankly I think the slower moving bullet is less frangible and by "hanging together" on impact transfers a greater portion of its momentum to the target. That combined with the Marlin's ability to place shots accurately within the ram make it at least tolerable.
I'd love to try the new Henry .327 mag.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've done zero research on this, but I would think that there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to increasing velocity as I think the bullet may just explode (for lack of a better word) upon impact not really transferring energy to the target.

While I rang ~22% of my impacts on rams, I was very shocked it wasn't more. I suppose it was luck of the draw on where I placed the shot. I wasn't really aiming for the higher portion of the animal, but really just trying to make contact. I wouldn't really want to commit to doing this any longer than it takes me to find the pistol cartridge rifle I want, but it's working for now.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We were talking about this the other day down the range, as my mate had bought matching 9422s in .22 and .22wmr to consolidate his equipment for competition: same rifles, same sights, same actions etc, with the only difference being the different rounds.

One advantage of the 22wmr in pistol cartridge is it's one less calibre to reload. But it's not as intrinsically accurate as the .22

So then we got to thinking . . . the 22 mag has double the energy of the standard velocity .22 at 100m, but only about 1.5x the energy of the Velocitor or Winchester 42gr 1320fps Power Point - both legal in pistol cartridge.

Well, we haven't tried the Winchester ammo yet with its slightly heavier projectile, but the Velocitor seems to be a bit of a flop on the pistol rams. So that may have ended that idea.
Old Today, 07:54 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
I tried Velocitors. I wasn't impressed with their accuracy. I've heard (or read) many competitors state that accuracy isn't critical in this game because of the relative size of the target. While that is true, I've found that I take down rams pretty well with my Marlin using SK Standard Plus. Frankly I think the slower moving bullet is less frangible and by "hanging together" on impact transfers a greater portion of its momentum to the target. That combined with the Marlin's ability to place shots accurately within the ram make it at least tolerable.
I'd love to try the new Henry .327 mag.
Shoot rams in the hip, knock the back leg off the stand and down they come.
Old Today, 11:08 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Almost all the rams I have ever rung turned out to be improperly set. If people will just set the rams the way they are supposed to be set, all the way back on the rail as far as they will go , very few if any "rings" will occur.