50 Yard Vintage and Unlimited Iron Sight Matches for March 2017. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Now post the details please...

Now post the details please...

Rifle, ammo, wind etc. Especially the ammo and the wind.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 PM
hoagiejoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank You David, here are the details:

200-20x (Unlimited) Joe Spina. Placentia, CA (Hoagiejoe)
CZ 455, Lilja Barrel, Microfit stock , BRNO rear sight with adjustable iris, Anschutz globe on 10" extension tube, clear 2.2 front insert, Eley Match
Sinclair base with /DR Greenlaw top front rest . Protektor rabbit ear rear bag.
EXCUSES for not shooting well: These groups aren't pretty. I'm still doing amateurish stuff tying to correct rather than adjust the sight because it is a pain and time consuming to adjust.
Sunny, 75-80ish, breeze was still earlier when I was shooting the Anschutz but got up to about 5mph on my meter on these targets, though the weatherman was posting 8mph.
50-5x 50-5x 50-5x 50-5x

200-19x (Unlimited) Joe Spina. Placentia, CA (Hoagiejoe)
CZ 455, Lilja Barrel, Microfit stock , BRNO rear sight with adjustable iris, Anschutz globe on 10" extension tube, clear 2.2 front insert, Eley Match
Sinclair base with /DR Greenlaw top front rest . Protektor rabbit ear rear bag.
EXCUSES for not shooting well: I think someone else shot the errant (and smallish hole) on the top left, This target os prettier than the better one above.
Sunny, 75-80ish, breeze was still earlier when I was shooting the Anschutz but got up to about 5mph on my meter for these targets, though the weatherman was posting 8mph
50-4x 50-5x 50-5x 50-5x

PS. I also shot with my Anschutz 2013. The scores were a little lower. I will post soon. For the CZ, I shot a bull with a different rear rest, then shot these two targets consecutively (but reverse order) and then went home.

Last edited by hoagiejoe; 03-17-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added image
Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 AM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Adjusting...

I will shoot about 10 shots into the bank to warm up the barrel, then shoot at the spotter and make sight adjustments. Sometimes I believe the rifle needs more than the ten warm up shots as the bullets seem to wander early on. But once I finally get the sights where I want them, I too will simply shade my hold a bit to adjust to what I believe to be a developing trend in the wind. And if it gets too bad, will go to the sight again to adjust. If I had more spotter bulls, I would go there, but mostly will adjust and shoot the bull I am working on. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. My front rest is simply to hold up the front of the rifle. I shoot right handed and my left hand is on the rear bag making all adjustments to sight picture. I am at the limit with what my 75 year old eyes are capable of. I used to shoot IR 50/50 but at different ranges where the wind was more constant and had 5 wind flags. A huge help. The ranges I shoot in Florida and Massachusetts are "blessed" with very erratic winds and the few times I have tried wind flags have been an exercise in frustration. The only perfect scores I have had have been on the rare very little wind days. And my groups are seldom as tight as yours are. Sounds like you have very good results building your rifle. Again, congratulations.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Congratulations on the fine target, Joe..... A 200-20X is not that easy as many of us know.

On the scoring, a quick guide but not always true is that if the bullet hole is not touching the inside of the ten ring the shot is probably an X. That's why a plug gauge is a must for scoring these targets, IMHO.

Hank
Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM
hoagiejoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
I will shoot about 10 shots into the bank to warm up the barrel, then shoot at the spotter and make sight adjustments. Sometimes I believe the rifle needs more than the ten warm up shots as the bullets seem to wander early on. But once I finally get the sights where I want them, I too will simply shade my hold a bit to adjust to what I believe to be a developing trend in the wind. And if it gets too bad, will go to the sight again to adjust. If I had more spotter bulls, I would go there, but mostly will adjust and shoot the bull I am working on. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. My front rest is simply to hold up the front of the rifle. I shoot right handed and my left hand is on the rear bag making all adjustments to sight picture. I am at the limit with what my 75 year old eyes are capable of. I used to shoot IR 50/50 but at different ranges where the wind was more constant and had 5 wind flags. A huge help. The ranges I shoot in Florida and Massachusetts are "blessed" with very erratic winds and the few times I have tried wind flags have been an exercise in frustration. The only perfect scores I have had have been on the rare very little wind days. And my groups are seldom as tight as yours are. Sounds like you have very good results building your rifle. Again, congratulations.
Thanks again and also for the additional info. What you wrote also made me recall another issue I have had a few times when shooting these targets. Line breaks are sometimes called before I have completed getting in 5 shots on a bull. I recall once when we started back up I nailed it but the other times that first shot after the break didn't go where I wanted it to. Not sure if it is from a cooling barrel, me losing my mojo or a combo.The place I have been shooting keeps the breaks down to about 5 minutes, so not sure if that is enough time to change the barrel. It is short enough that I can still get the target done within the time limit!

For a wind flag, I staple a piece of cardboard with caution tape to my target stand, though I forgot to add it when I shot these targets, as I had just rebuilt the stand. I may be better off because I feel like I sometimes over compensate for wind. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. I'd like to sit with someone in the know some day!

My equipment is very stable and I think anyone using it would do just as good or better. For me the weakest link is the rear bag. I have a block of iron with a groove that is super stable and tracks well. I also have a rest I bought from someone on RFC made of alu and steel with a delron piece for the butt. That too is more stable than the bag. I only use the bag for these targets since I believe the rules state the rear rest must be sand filled. I should probably invest in a bag with a larger, flatter base (though my Protektor 13a seemed like a huge upgrade from the Caldwell when I bought it) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
Congratulations on the fine target, Joe..... A 200-20X is not that easy as many of us know.

On the scoring, a quick guide but not always true is that if the bullet hole is not touching the inside of the ten ring the shot is probably an X. That's why a plug gauge is a must for scoring these targets, IMHO.

Hank
Thank you Hank . Yea, I'm not sure I am comfortable calling it a 20x because of the one shot on the edge...A great thing about shooting and an obsessive personality is that the prospect of improvement keeps me coming back!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:31 PM
aqbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
199-13x (Vintage) Bill Parkhurst. Sheffield, Alabama (AQBill)
BSA Martine Model 12, Model 7 receiver and AQP 20 front, CCI SV
Cowan front rest. Bunny ear Protektor rear bag.
EXCUSES for not shooting well....arrrrgh!
Overcast, 58F, 5-10 mph fitful breeze.
50-3x 50-4x 50-4x 49-2x