Dirty ammo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:43 PM
pdhunter
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Dirty ammo

I took the 452 17hm2 out for the first time yesterday . It shoots great however probably the direst rim fire ammo I have ever seen.
I was shooting CCI and Ely.
Is it my Imation or has any one else noticed this ?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 PM
SWUtah
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome to the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhunter View Post
I took the 452 17hm2 out for the first time yesterday . It shoots great however probably the direst rim fire ammo I have ever seen.
I was shooting CCI and Ely.
Is it my Imation or has any one else noticed this ?
LOL. Not your imagination. Every single one of us who has shot this cartridge has noticed it! It will take me a nylon brush and about 20 solvent patches to clean my Anschutz after a session of 100 rounds or so. Some day if I can figure out a way to safely pull a bullet on an HM2 cartridge, I am going to find out what powder is in there. My 17HMR rifles don't get anywhere near as cruddy as the HM2.

Last edited by SWUtah; 02-13-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep...it's fairly dirty ammo. For my Anschutz 1502 I need to clean it often to maintain accuracy.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM
pdhunter
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
ammo

Well that's good and bad news .
I love the cartage but dang its dirty !
I'm glad I'm not the only one
Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 AM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All ammo is dirty, some dirtier than others. Ever shoot Unique powder in a .38 Special? It is basically flammable dirt. Cleaning is just the nature of the game.

≡✪≡
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I push a couple of dry patches through after 50 and a full scrub after 100.

It is dirty stuff for sure.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 PM
gordonm1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're making me think it's time to clean mine.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
You're making me think it's time to clean mine.
When ammo was plentiful and before I got into the mach2. There was a really good write up in this sub forum about how often to run a couple of dry patches and when to put the scrub on it.

I got into Mach2 back in August of last year. A forum member local to me had a 452 American and several cases of ELEY. I read every post in this sub forum before making the leap in the caliber.

I notice that my groups start to open up around 50 rounds, but a couple of dry patches pulled through with the blue patchworm gets things right again. It happens again at 100, but the dry patch scenario doesnt work as well, but Mpro7 copper remover left soak for 30 minutes, follwed by a nylon brush, pulls out some nasty crud. The patches are never blue like I see in my centerfires, but it seems to do the trick.

When I say open up. The group goes from being covered with a dime, to needing a nickel to cover up a 10 shot group. Nickel accuracy at 75yds is plenty to ghost most vermin Im trying to eliminate.

Hope that helps you out.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well...

After following this thread I decided to test my Lilja barreled 455 Lux in 17 hm2. The temperature was 36 degrees F, breezy, ranges 30 yds, target 4" plate hanging from a tree branch. Easy to hit offhand! I fired 10 rounds each of Eley, Remington, and new production Hornady. Two wet patches of Hoope's number 9 and three dry patches later I saw no evidence of any fouling left. Then, 30 strokes with a bronze brush. The brush was cleaned with carb cleaner every 10 strokes and wetted with Butches bore shine every ten as well. Three dry patches and no,signs of copper. This barrel has never shown copper over 1872 rounds fired. Dirty ammo? Maybe. Slick barrel? Definitely! Oh, average snow depth on ground at around 20". Good shooting folks, Guy
Old 02-17-2017, 06:34 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dang Guy, you need to come down here to North Ga! 62 right now, wind maybe 1mph, thought I'd drag out your rifle and some Eley. Now that I floated it and put the rubber pressure point on it, she's shooting pretty good .

First 5 at 50;

Things were going so good I thought I would run a dry patch and shoot 10 more on the second target. Not too cruddy but I cleaned her about 30 or so ago.

Next 5 at 50....

Then 5 more in the same target

By the way I say “Thank you, thank you….thank you….again” for selling her to me. By the way, she says “Hello”….and “P.S….what were you thinking!”. Man, that other one must cut the wings off a fly at 100 to beat this one. I spent the next hr whacking walnuts around the pasture from 10-100. I don't know how you could ever let it go but I sure am glad you picked me.

Squirrels are in trouble in the morning if they dare to sit still where she can see them! Come on down, we have until 2/28. I'll show you some southern hospitality.

Last edited by JCIII; 02-17-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
LIB!

Thanks for the offer Joe! However, all my free time and cash are going into a new track bike for the spring! Priorities.....I only fired the rifle for function and it was doing pretty well so I put it away. The Lilja holds an inch at a 100 yds with Eley so I never really thought I needed more. Looks like you're having a great time and that's all I wanted for someone. Pop some squirrels and enjoy that little rifle for me!