Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

422 project guns

4K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  .22MRF 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I would put t thread up on my 422 builds.

I've picked up a few trashed out 422's lately, have some interesting builds that will happen over the next few months.

First is a 422 that was undoubtedly the dirtiest gun I have ever seen, looked like it spent a few years under a car seat, lint, dirt, rust, and the muzzle was beat up and the sight was broken. Rather than pull it a part and throw the parts in a box I decided to build a "414". I really like shooting my 2214 and 2213 but the 8 round mag cuts the fun short. I run 12 rounders in them, but don't like the short grip with the long mag, and haven't made the time to produce a mag sleeve yet. So I looked at this trashed out 422, and one of the extra 2213/2214 barrels I have laying around and came up with the crazy idea of a "414". Time will tell if it works as I expect, I will dovetail a front sight onto it like the 2213 and 2214.

The next project is a pair of 4.5" 422's I am building for my boys, rounded trigger guard, will mill the muzzle to look like a 622 4.5"VR, use a fixed sight slide with LPA or Novak sights, and I will either dovetail a front sight in, or install a white dot 2206 front sight if I can make it work with the VR type milling. Both guns will have EWK threaded adapters as well. Here is the "crispy critter" I built a while back where I tested some of these mods.

Last is a 422 that has been sitting around for a bit, I milled the muzzle and the trigger guard, installed a 2206 side plate for a little extra weight in the grip, may change the front sight, then send this one off with the others when they are Cerakoted.

I really enjoy giving new life to these old guns, and making them into something that will be passed down in my family.

See less See more
#3 ·
Amazing work... I'd love to see more. I'm working on swapping sites on my 2214. I've picked up a LPA sight. A problem was that the dovetail tapers are opposite. I may have to have it professionally installed or buy a few tools for a one time use. Any suggestions?

#4 · (Edited)
LPA should go right in, although it isn't unusual to have to lightly file the sight to make it fit. If you look at the back dovetail on the sight it isn't as sharp as the front, use a small triangle file, and VERY JUDICIOUSLY file, and fit. The dovetail also has a very slight taper, goes into the slide from the left side(as you are holding the gun). Filing on the back dovetail makes it so you won't see the file marks. You might also take some very fine(400-600) sand paper and make sure the dovetail slot is nice and smooth.

That's an LPA on the black gun above...

Can you post a pic?

As a last resort if you want to send it to me I will install it for you, just pay the postage.

#9 ·
Messing around a bit with the 414 tonight.

Once the muzzle is chopped the end needs to be counter bored to accept the barrel nut or threaded adapter. I will do this with a counter bore bit. Needs to be sized with a pilot that fits in the bore for the barrel, and have the correct OD for the barrel nut.

As I was looking at the portion of the muzzle I removed I discovered that the area the barrel goes into has a "step" at the end to properly center the barrel. In other words the bore is larger for the length of the barrel until about the last 1/4". What this means is that I will need to make a small bushing to fit into this area the make sure the pistol shoots straight. An unexpected step, but not a big deal.

#10 ·
I've removed the rear sight from my 2214 and indeed it starts in from the left side. It appears that the dovetail on my slide is a tad deeper than the sight. I may have to clean some metal off of the back of the slide below where the sight would sit. I'll have to measure and figure out how much tonight. I will have to do the removal by hand. Wishing I still had access to a Bridgeport mill.

#16 · (Edited)
Dovetail depth on my 2214 is .1565 the clearance on the sight is .110 ... .0465 difference. Depth of hole to the elevation screw is .022 ... not quite half way there.
I'm looking at having to mill 3/64 off the slide or .0469 ... To gain an adjustable sight I'm not bothered by this but I'd rather have it milled over using a file and stone.

#17 · (Edited)
This is interesting.

I measured 6 slides, only 1 came back with your measurement, the rest matched what I posted earlier. Then I found a 2213 slide with the sight still installed, so I knew it was either a 2213 or 2206 based on the sight. It measured the same as yours, when I compare to the others the dovetail is cut much deeper visibly just as you have found. So it looks like I have a 2213 and 2214 slide among the 422/622 slides. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I'll add another interesting factoid, I pulled my 2206 fixed sight pistol out of the safe. Even though it uses the same 2 dot sight as the 2213/2214, the dovetail is not deeper like the smaller guns, the front sight sits higher it appears to compensate.

#18 ·
I am making araingements with a local Gunsmith to have the slide milled when he gets back from vacation in early March. I put the stock sight back on so I can still get some range time with the 2214. In the mean time I will be able to pick up the cold blue to touch up after the work is done.

#22 ·
Range report..

A last minute vacation delayed a range trip... I finally got out to the range this weekend. What a huge difference in the sight picture the new sight has made. I dialed it in to shoot to point of aim, and wow what an improvement. Off of bags this pistol will put all eight rounds under a quarter at 10 yards. Shooting off hand I'm able to hold it to ~ 3 1/2 inch groups at the same distance. With practice I think I could get this number down. At 25 yards it impacts about an inch high and is fun shooting at dirt chunks on the berm.

#23 ·
Updates

Time for a little update on the original topic. On the 422's I'm building for my Sons, I would like to use the white dot front sight from the 2206's so I'm testing the process of installing it on the 422.

Cutting a test slot:

Close, need a little more depth:

I needed a jig to hold the pistols for different machining operations including what I need to do to the 414.

Counter boring the 414 for the barrel nut:

The 414 with the barrel installed:

#28 ·
I'm at a point where I would like some opinions.

I've looked at many different ways to mill the muzzle to make it look less like I just chopped a longer gun down. While I have no intention of trying to pass this off as a factory oddity, I do want it to appear to be factory as much as possible. The front sight is off of a 2214, the slide and rear sight will also be off of a 2214. What I've come around to is that I want the muzzle to look like a 2213/14 also. This means I will have to fill the small machined areas to get a perfectly flat surface there. I've attached a 2213 muzzle picture for reference, what are your thoughts?

#32 ·
Thanks, the welder did a good job filling, I took my time milling it down and finishing it. I did have a learning experience on this one, next time I will do the fill work before I cut the muzzle and counter bore for the barrel nut. The welds blew into the counter bored area.

Before I milled it:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.