Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

folding extended bolt handle

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  T0rtuga 
#1 ·
I just had an idea that may be shot down like a hog in the garden. I hate the short stock handle, it's too short. I'm not a fan of the extension sticking out so far. Yes I'm aware, somewhat petty. Why do we not have one that folds forward?

#4 ·
Charging handle

I'm sure it could be done but likely at a higher cost to make than the single piece units and does a market exist enough to make it worthwhile? The Ruger handle I believe is 1/2in. and the KIDD handles, which are nice, are just a little longer at 3/4 inch. A lot of other manufacturers are around one inch. If I ever replace my stock handles, I'll probably get a KIDD handle.

#7 ·
minority report

I think the folding handle is a great idea. Having a trim rifle when transporting would be nice. Some of the bolts that have "plug in" handles would work in a similar way. Having the handle permanently attached would be a big plus. Don't give up! Maybe rotate and fold would work so the hinge would be turned 90 degrees to the movement when firing?

#9 · (Edited)
Years ago one of the RFC "gurus" make my first extended mag release and bolt handle from aluminum. It was long. Shortly there after I started having a bunch of "Stovepipe" type jams. I worked on the extractor, I tuned the ejector ledge on the magazine, cleaned mags, tried different ammo, different lubes in the action,cleaned the chamber spotless. NOTHING worked!

Then I was stumbling around You Tube and saw an ultra slow motion video of the 10/22 action while functioning and noticed that about every third case that was fired was hit by the charging handle and knocked toward the ejection port....:confused::rolleyes:

I looked at my new and "improved" charging handle and it was badly pitted where it had been hitting cases. Hmmmm. Put the stock handle back in and suddenly my rifle shot and ran with zero problems! My long handle was knocking the spent case back into the ejection port before the bolt could close!!:eek::eek::mad::eek:

Moral of the story is any new handle design will have to keep in mind that if it hits the case you could cause trouble. Folding handle may improve this but if it folds forward (which it seems it would have to) you may be getting into the area ahead of the bolt (would the bolt even CLOSE if so?). After watching those slow motion vids I am VERY careful when I choose an after market handles. Also I think it would take a heck of a strong spring to keep the folding handle from flopping around. Maybe a lock button rather than a spring to keep it closed?

Having said all that, a folding handle would make for a narrower rifle when carrying and maybe nicer to put in cases and such. Less likely to snag on branches if the going gets close while hunting too. I can see benefits if thew above issues were kept in mind.

Could be interesting! :D:bthumb:

#12 · (Edited)
I have used the rear pull and it is fine with iron sights or red dot but with a big scope it is hard to use.

I REALLY like the left pull (never used one on 10/22 but have on centerfires) because you do not have to move your right hand on the grip of the stock! :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.