Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Poly lower on a ar22?

7K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Triggerbender 
#1 ·
I have an ar22 with a psa lower on it. I'm getting another ar15 upper & would like to use the psa lower on it & put a polymer lower on the Ar22. Anyone have experience with this?

#2 ·
I don't specifically have experience in an AR chambered in .22 rimfire, but I do own 3 AR rifles, chambered in ..17WSM, .223/5.56, and .308. My brother owns a couple, and dang near most of my pals also own AR rifles, so together we are all pretty "up and up" on whats available for ARs, what parts are good and what parts are junk.

It has been from my experience, that polymer AR lowers are pretty much junk and you shouldn't waste your time. LOL. I've built a few and I just don't like the quality of the polymer. For a just a few bucks more you can get a forged lower and not worry about it. :)

#5 ·
I too have a New Frontier on my 22lr dedicated AR. Other than having to remove some of the excess material on the casting seam so that the charging handle didn't drag, the lower is working just fine. The lower weight is also nice and my Taccom Ultra Light comes in right at 4lbs.

There is no stress to speak of on a AR-22lr so it will probably never have an issue. The more recent versions of the polymer lowers work just fine in my opinion. If however I was going to war with a 5.56 rifle, it'd be aluminum, forged or billet. Not because of the stress of the shot cycle but because of the abuse covering rugged terrain, being thrown on the ground or over walls, and the like.

#6 · (Edited)
as others have stated, i have also been using one of the new frontier lowers for years now with no issues on a 22lr taccom ULW upper. the only thing i changed out was the polymer LPK and went to standard AR metal LPK. would i use one on a 5.56 or similar caliber no way but for 22lr i think your fine. love mine and i built it for the wife to shoot ;) (she has yet to shoot it) and it weighs in under 4lbs also.

and i bought it from Joeboboutfitters and they have them on sale right now:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_Frontier_Armory_LW_15_Complete_Poly_Lower_p/nfa-lw15blk.htm

#7 ·
I've had PSA aluminum and still have New Frontier polymer. You may find that you prefer the New Frontier.

The PSA is a fine lower. On all my uppers it had some rattle that Bushmaster and Anderson lowers don't have.

The New frontier has a tight fit on every upper; it's built to take advantage of the flexibility to keep that fit tight. I've put two stage triggers into a couple of my New Frontiers. However for a single stage trigger, the NF polymer trigger has a nicer pull (smoother and lighter) than most single stage triggers.

For the New frontier, you may need to also buy a specific hammer for the .22lr.

#9 ·
I wouldn't waste my money on a plastic lower. Most of them, including the 2 linked to above will not accept all mil spec parts without modding them. I cannot imagine a plastic trigger group being good for anything other than shooting dirt. Remember the old saying... Buy once cry once.

#10 ·
I decided to go for it. I've read everything I can find on the e3 omegas & there really isn't anything negative to say about them. Most people are running them on ar15s &mthey say they're reliable. If it can be put through its paces with 556 & come out ok,I'm sure that.22lr will pose no challenge.

#17 ·
My first rifle was a Remington Nylon 66 purchased in 1972. Thousands of rounds later and having used zero lubricants, the thing still runs like a top. Even has a "plastic" trigger group like the E3. I think the Gen II would be at least as durable and for $110 it should be a good value. It's mil-spec so if you wanted to throw in a different trigger it'd be no problem.

#20 ·
Picked up an E3 Omega complete lower today from a local dealer to use for my dedicated DPMS 22lr upper. Nothing but light primer strikes, wouldn't ignite CCI, Federal or Remington ammo. Put a 223 upper on it and it shot fine. The DPMS upper has worked on 3 other lowers with Anderson FCGs. Will dig into it tomorrow to see what's up. Might try an extra power spring first, since that will be the least expensive option, to see if it will fire 22lr. Going with a metal FCG will kill the cost benefit of this complete lower.
YMMV

#22 ·
Some of the polymer lowers with polymer hammer and triggers had clearance issues with the 22 LR bolts. Swapping to steel FCG usually solved the problem. Notched hammers can cause issues with 22 LR bolts. The notch on the top of some hammers snag on the under side of 22 LR bolts.

#31 ·
After some research, hammer profile and trigger selection are critical in 22lr and 9mm builds as they are harder on these parts due to bolt profiles and being short stroke blowback.

On a 556 AR15 the bolt is delayed until the bullet passes the gasport and gas enters the tube to release the bolt and carrier also having a longer smoother stroke for lack of better decription.

I was going to use a RR 2 stage in mine and then finding they are breaking and if you fess up to using in a 22lr conversion not covered under warranty by RR.

Also finding the right combo due to so many variations in 9mm builds, doubling and more can be a problem.

Also find hammer pins breaking common in the 9mm.

Pay your money take your chance, my deal is if it can it will break so I try to head this problem off if I can:(.

#23 ·
Poly lower on a ar22

Pay no attention to the nay sayers. Everyone has their opinion and most everyone I talked to about mine was the same. You won't like it and should stick with the metal versions. Have had it for over a year, shooting everything .22 I can feed it out of a milspec .223 barrel with a Ceiner conversion kit and haven't had a single problem. I did change out the trigger group because I like a smoother trigger and didn't see any way of tuning up the one that came with the New Frontier package. For the price, you can't beat it, especially since it comes as a complete lower package.
the only con I found was I have to carry a punch with me in case I have to take it down for any reason. It is very tight.

#30 ·
The New Frontier lower has worked for me for several years. I use it with a CMMG upper. It has seen lots of use including banging around the woods at night following **** dogs. It works with bulk ammo. It'll even work low power stuff like CCI Quiet 99% of the time.

They recommend the blowback hammer for rimfire, but I did not need it. I would recommend the New Frontier lower with their polymer parts because the polymer trigger is much better than heavy, gritty mil-spec trigger you usually get in aluminum lowers. Not having to replace the trigger will save you some money. :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.