Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Buglemintoday
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I'm northeast of there up on the cap. I won't ask if you are collecting them on BLM or state land as that's a no-no.
I've never hunted them in New Mexico, just private property here in Texas.

I can't believe that the Federal Champion was junk. I've only bought it in 50rd packs during the Sandy Hook ammo crisis but I hadn't had an issue. I do prefer the 333 and 555 packs of ammo though.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This was in the 50 round box. I remembered it as being better ammo than the really cheap Federal bulk which I've never had very good luck with.

You're safe on the arrowhead hunting then. The American Antiquities Act doesn't cover private land. You won't believe the extra expense it has added to the cost of almost everything having to do with disturbing public lands.

I grew up on a farm over on the east side of the cap in Texas. Evidently there had been a big indian camp just behind one of our barns. Lots of burned rock there and my dad and I found lots of really nice arrowheads in that spot. I have a perfect corner tank knife that I found there, the only one I've ever seen outside of a museum and pictures of them.

By the way, we have made very good cotton crops there the last couple of years.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Buglemintoday

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! I've never found a corner tang. Just scrapers, points...found my first piece of pottery a few weekends ago. It is a hobby that I thought would not be fun (walk around and find nothing for years)...only to find out that if you are looking in the right spot you will come across all kinds of stuff.

We just received permission to check out a Cotton Farm in Seminole for points....and I like to look around Snyder.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never found any pottery on the farm but I found a lot of pieces over here in the sandhills. Some were even painted. Nothing fancy. Nearly all of it is a light or medium grey color and any paint is black.

My dad bought some ranch land west of Seminole when I was a kid and deep broke it into a farm. The method then was to break it mesquite trees (LOTS of mesquites) and all. We hauled the stumps to an old caliche pit and burned them. I wonder just how many BTUs of energy went up into the atmosphere from all the stumps we burned. It was broke four feet deep and the guy with the D-8 cat and that big disc plow found some rocks on one corner of the place. I helped on the weekends and thought we would never get done picking up stumps and then rocks. I was married before my dad was satisfied we had all the caliche rocks found. All that stump and rock picking and we never found one arrowhead or any indication that an indian had even built a fire there. They were probably buried by the plow.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Crestwalker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up NIB a week ago from yesterday. Been out with it four times since. Shot 250 rounds each outing. First trip with Aguila S/E. Second trip with CCI MiniMag round nose. Third trip with Aguila S/E, went to CCI MiniMag R.N. for final 100 rounds. And fourth trip with CCI MiniMag HP.

For 400 rounds, the Aguila had a 7.0% fail to fire rate. All 7.0% went bang with follow-up DA pull.

For 600 rounds, the CCI had a 0.5% failure rate. First failure: My fault, used slide stop to release slide on first round rather than pulling and releasing slide at its full rearward position. Second failure: Fail to strip third loaded magazine round (Weak fire). Third failure: Fail to fire. Would not go bang with DA follow-up or when rotated for different primer strike position (bad primer).

My favorite? CCI MiniMag round-nose/hollow point with a 0.5% failure rate (0.3% when operator error discounted). Stoked with CCI Minis, I would C&C this pistol with no reservations.

Note: Cleaned after every 250 rounds. Lightly oiled slide and frame areas that showed lite wear.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:48 PM
badger5th
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anything CCI works great in my SR22 (have tried SV, mini-mags, and Blazer).

The Remington stuff and white box Winchester not so good, about a 3% failure to fire with either. In those cases 90% of the time a second trigger pull does the trick. The rest are jams.

Have not tried the Federal stuff yet.

Regards,
Badger