Cowboy lever action 22 - what are you all shooting? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
Shoot rams in the hip, knock the back leg off the stand and down they come.
Aim for the tip of the nose or the top of the horn.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
I've done zero research on this, but I would think that there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to increasing velocity as I think the bullet may just explode (for lack of a better word) upon impact not really transferring energy to the target.

While I rang ~22% of my impacts on rams, I was very shocked it wasn't more. I suppose it was luck of the draw on where I placed the shot. I wasn't really aiming for the higher portion of the animal, but really just trying to make contact. I wouldn't really want to commit to doing this any longer than it takes me to find the pistol cartridge rifle I want, but it's working for now.
I did a little bit of reading, and discovered the 42gr 1320fps Winchester Power Point Max made here in Australia has a stronger copper coating than other HV bullets to allow for the increase in pressure and velocity.

https://www.hunting.com.au/ammo/winc...wer-point-max/

They also say the hollow point design is designed not to skid off hard surfaces (such as bone). I've seen good accuracy from this ammo in some rifles, including my own CZ 452. You can really hear and feel the difference between the max, standard and high velocity .22. Whether the extra weight is enough to consistently knock over pistol rams is another story. But it does have about 50% more muzzle energy than standard .22 and a slightly better BC projectile (about 5% over typical 40gr ammo I've read, though haven't confirmed).
Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flier View Post
I did a little bit of reading, and discovered the 42gr 1320fps Winchester Power Point Max made here in Australia has a stronger copper coating than other HV bullets to allow for the increase in pressure and velocity.

https://www.hunting.com.au/ammo/winc...wer-point-max/

They also say the hollow point design is designed not to skid off hard surfaces (such as bone). I've seen good accuracy from this ammo in some rifles, including my own CZ 452. You can really hear and feel the difference between the max, standard and high velocity .22. Whether the extra weight is enough to consistently knock over pistol rams is another story. But it does have about 50% more muzzle energy than standard .22 and a slightly better BC projectile (about 5% over typical 40gr ammo I've read, though haven't confirmed).
That's a significant increase over the Mini Mags at 40gr/1235fps, especially if the coating yields a less frangible bullet. 1320fps is definitely legal in pistol cartridge, but I'd be concerned if it would be classified as "hyper velocity" barring it from being legal in smallbore. I say that as it is nice to not have to worry about different sight adjustments between the two classes by shooting the same ammo in both.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Flier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think 1300fps is the limit, but I know a few shooters who ran it at my last club, their argument being they weren't getting 1320fps out of their rifles, and that actual velocities were under 1300fps. There was another rule, and that was any ammo that damaged targets also couldn't be used.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:17 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
.....I say that as it is nice to not have to worry about different sight adjustments between the two classes by shooting the same ammo in both.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I recently picked up a couple 9422 Legacy's from the early 2000's that had never been fired. One in LR and one Mag. They are fantastic shooters and although they set me back $1k each, worth every penny to me.
I feel very fortunate that as soon as Winchester announced that they were discontinuing the 9422, I ran out to my LGS and bought a Legacy. I paid just over $400. Then when they closed the New Haven factory the following year, the prices went through the roof.

I also have a late-'70s standard 9422. I wouldn't part with either one of them, although sometimes the high prices tempt me.

Last edited by toivo; 03-26-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: reword