Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Some MYTHS just never seem to die.
The fictitious claims about the Volquartsen hammer causing light hits is false.
It's not very often that SGW and I agree on things, but in this instance, we do.

The energy stored in the mainspring is transferred to the hammer. The spring doesn't care if the hammer is solid steel, "swiss cheese" steel, or G10 with steel sleeves and plates. It delivers the same energy to any of them.

Now, the energy delivered to the firing pin is a different matter. Some of the energy is lost to friction, with only what's left being delivered. Excessive frictional energy loss is the cause of light hits - regardless of hammer style. Reduce the losses sufficiently, and any hammer will work.

That said, just as a lighter hammer accelerates faster than a heavier one - it also decelerates faster. So it's more sensitive to friction.

Like others, I don't particularly like the hole drilled in the VQ hammer. I don't find the improvement in lock time to be that great. In fact, I can just about guarantee my Ruger MKII hammer (in my MKIII) has a faster lock time than theirs. But that is because theirs is subject to friction that my modified hammer has eliminated.

If VQ offered a "standard" MKII type hammer, it would be my first choice for purchase. The one they currently offer would be second. And there is nothing about the MKIII and MKIV hammers that I like. They are unbalanced and I refuse to have one in my pistols. That's just my preference, but they work well enough for some.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:38 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
Little touchy about this aren't you? And more than a little rude.

No, I don't have actual video of the problem.

Nor do I still have the same lots of ammo that shot fine with the stock hammer but demonstrated light strikes with the light weight Volquartzen hammer installed.

Call it a myth if you like, but my experience was that it caused a problem in my MK II.

Just remember, you weren't there and you have no clue how well it worked in MY pistol. If it's works fine for you, then good for you.
Oh come on, put your "man pants" back on. I posted what I found when experimenting with light weight hammers, nothing touchy about it. Through my testing I did find there was an issue with one of the Volquartsen lighter weight hammers I was testing, but it wasn't due to its lighter weight. It involved something else with some of those hammers, that was easily fixable.

I didn't ask you to provide any video, so why are you whining about that? Now, why would I NEED to actually be there? To show you what the actual issue with that hammer was, because you couldn't figure it out for yourself?

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 02-12-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmev View Post
I recall on another thread he stated he was doing some testing for Volquartsen. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Sure. I can see where that would create a conflict of interest for him.

But it does nothing to change the results I had with my Volquartsen hammer.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
It's not very often that SGW and I agree on things, but in this instance, we do.

The energy stored in the mainspring is transferred to the hammer. The spring doesn't care if the hammer is solid steel, "swiss cheese" steel, or G10 with steel sleeves and plates. It delivers the same energy to any of them.

Now, the energy delivered to the firing pin is a different matter. Some of the energy is lost to friction, with only what's left being delivered. Excessive frictional energy loss is the cause of light hits - regardless of hammer style. Reduce the losses sufficiently, and any hammer will work.

That said, just as a lighter hammer accelerates faster than a heavier one - it also decelerates faster. So it's more sensitive to friction..../
There is a difference between momentum and energy.

For example, a .45 ACP with a 185 gr bullet at 975 fps has 390 ft pounds of energy, while a 230 gr bullet at 875 fps has the same 390 ft pounds of energy - but about 12% more momentum and it does a better job knocking over steel targets.

Similarly, the heavier hammer accelerates slower, but has more momentum.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
I have heard this claim before but never actually witnessed it in several Rugers with VQ hammers. I have seen light strikes when some one installed a lighter main spring in a Ruger Mark pistol. Just my experience.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 PM
kmev
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
No, it has nothing to do with anything. By the way, I see you still haven't been able to figure out how to get your "signature" to show up. Rather than worry about what I'm testing, you should worry more about increasing your computer skills.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

While you have contributed much knowledge to this forum - and I have purchased from your online store for that very reason - your increasing lack of decorum will have me shopping elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
There is a difference between momentum and energy.

For example, a .45 ACP with a 185 gr bullet at 975 fps has 390 ft pounds of energy, while a 230 gr bullet at 875 fps has the same 390 ft pounds of energy - but about 12% more momentum and it does a better job knocking over steel targets.

Similarly, the heavier hammer accelerates slower, but has more momentum.
Let's get back on topic, as this is the Ruger Mark I .22 rimfire forum, and has nothing to do with the 1911 style hammer.

Basically then, what your claim is, "you feel the lighter Volquartsen hammer" is fully responsible for the light primer hits you were experiencing with that hammer in your pistol. Is that a correct statement, without being rude?