Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 AM
Shark13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magpul X-22 stock questions

Already have a X-22 stock for my Ruger. I got the stock in black color. I'm thinking about buying the flat dark earth color stock. Just dyed some pmags tonight and really like the color of them. So here are my questions.

#1 Do they use the same polymer in this stock as they do pmags?
#2 How close in color is the flat dark earth stock to the sand color pmags?
#3 Has any one tried dyeing X-22 stock?

I know with the pmags I had to boil them in Rit dye. Not a very hard process but does make for some pretty mags. Bought a Ruger 10/22 and making it my "project" gun. Want to try and make as many parts as I can blue. Really like X-22 stock but they don't make it in blue. I already have a idea on how to boil the stock in Rit dye water. Just get a metal water trough and use the camp stove to boil the water. Since the stock is longer then most stainless steel pots. Any one have opinions on this or any ideas. Welcome to any suggestions or if you think this is a good/bad idea.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:26 AM
shepherd77

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All Magpul products are the same polymer, lightweight and cost efficient. Really good stuff, engineered well. I don't recall seeing a stock dyed, as it is a rather large piece and would be tough to get an even absorption of dye. The desert sand is considerably lighter shade than dark earth.if the black stock is still in good shape, I'll give ya 80 bucks for it towards your new one.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:13 PM
27 Beck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Ceracote?

http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/...tured-products

Located in WA state.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Knilc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this was started last year, but hopefully I'm not too late. Firstly, I admire your ingenuity, Shark13, but I don't think that any dye will overpower the black of the polymer. Secondly, I do believe that if an exchange (or selling it like shepherd77 suggested) for the FDE stock isn't an option, look into some sort of coating like 27 Beck suggested. Firearm coatings are still new to me, so I couldn't argue which is best for polymer.

Worst case scenario, just keep/use the black stock. I realize that's not the original plan, but it seems to be the most cost-effective. Please let us know which route you do take, Shark13.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 Beck View Post

+1 Cerakote will work great on the Magpul stock. Depending on where you have it done it might cost you as much as you paid for the stock though.