Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Model 60 Feed Problems

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Bullseye22 
#1 ·
Model 60 bolt will hold open even though there are still rounds in the magazine tube. It is a 1989 Model 60 with the 22" barrel and mag tube. I have already replaced the ejector/lifter spring. Is is possible that I need a new magazine inner spring?

Thanks,

#3 ·
I checked the action, all springs were in place, including the LSHO. It will feed and cycle several rounds, then the bolt stays open like a last shot, you can let the bolt release and then pull back on the bolt and it will feed another round. I'm just wondering if the mag tube spring is not strong enough to push all rounds back to the feed throat.

#4 ·
I don't know what the problem is (I would have guessed the LSHO spring also). But, I would start by Cleaning the inner magazine tube. Run a patch or brush down the INSIDE of the tube, compressing the spring and follower ahead of it. Can't hurt and won't cost anything.

#6 ·
The only modification was with the sear. The disconnector and sear were not resetting after a shot was fired and I noticed that the "finger" on the sear (that the disconnector pushes against to fire) was not at the correct angle. I very slightly adjusted the angle on the sear "finger" and the sear and disconnector reset properly. Other than that, my only work was to replace most of the springs in the action; sear spring, disconnector spring, hammer spring and ejector/lifter spring. I also polished the hammer, feed throat and replaced the firing pin.

#12 ·
I had some great close-up photos, but for some reason I can't get in to photobucket to load them. I took out my new 2015 Marlin 60 and compared the actions side by side-I could not see any difference other than the thickness of the side plates (the 1989 model has thicker plates). I then put the 2015 action into the 1989 barreled receiver-with the 1989 bolt. It functions flawlessly. So something is very wrong with the 1989 action. I am at my wits end and ready to sell this for a loss. I can't believe such a simple action can be this hard to repair. I've got $100 in the rifle and about $45 in parts and supplies.

#14 ·
The takedown screw is fine, it doesn't interfere with the mag tube or action. I can manually cycle the action, out of the stock, with rounds and does the same thing. It will feed, extract and eject a couple of rounds, then the LSHO will stop the bolt-even though there are rounds still in the tube. It has to be something with the LSHO lever, lifter or both.

#16 ·
Somehow the LSHO lever must be getting free from the lifter spring, i think now that the take down screw is eliminated. It is not grabbing it consistantly, so check that the lifter spring leg has adequate contact with the LSHO lever to pull it back down. It must be slipping off??
I would gladly look at it if you wanted to send it.

#17 ·
I found the problem. It had nothing to do with the inside of the trigger group. After manually cycling rounds through the rifle it appeared that the trigger group assembly had some play at the muzzle end of the rifle-under the pins that goes through the mount where the front take-down screw goes into the receiver. If I pushed down on the trigger group at the front of the receiver-it would manually cycle all rounds. So I took one of those round-flat wood nuts (similar to the nut that holds the front of the trigger guard to the stock, drilled out the threads, removed the "ears" and pressed it into the front take down screw hole. This pushes the trigger group flush with the front receiver mount when the take down screw is tightened through the stock. Now the rifle functions great-no more FTF issues.

Thanks to everyone for their input, especially ArrowDodger!:bthumb::bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.