Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Redirected while browsing?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  supersharp 
#1 ·
Last several days, only while browsing rimfirecentral.com I have been getting random redirects, mostly to a site that is obviously not microsoft's site. Address is microsyscare dot com, get a popup saying windows has been blocked due to suspicious activity. It tells me to call an 800 number for help.

Usually I can just hit the back button and get away, but today computer froze up and I had to restart it to do anything.

Windows 10, chrome browser. Currently posting using firefox browser, seems ok so far.

Scanning for bad stuff right now, will update if anything shows.

Using Vipre business anti-virus software, 7.5.5839

#2 ·
OP, anti-virus software is mostly useless against malware... most of them are similar to applying penicillin after trolling in dirty bars.

Prevention is the key.

I use "SandboxIE" for all my client machines.
This is a condom for your computer.
It prevents infection, rather than treating it after you have one.

You can use the free tools to get rid of infection in most cases.
www.malwarebytes.org
Be SURE to not check the "free offer".
Pay attention so it does not install some Google Chrome add-on baloney.

www.bleepingcomputer.com
• RKill
• ComboFix
• AdawareCleaner
• Junkware Removal Tool

#3 ·
This has happened to me, as well - several times, and only on this site. I do have malwarebytes. Every time, it freezes my browser causing me to have to close Chrome thru Task Manager (nothing else works). It is something connected to this site, specifically.

#6 ·
Happened to me yesterday.

Not able to do anything except ctrl alt delete to pull up task manager and even that did not work well.

Finally got it to shut down and came back up ok.

Now I wonder if anything got installed?

At least I didn't click on the link in the message as I knew that was bogus.

#7 ·
Just had it happen right now when I clicked on this thread to read it. Norton caught it and I was able to use the back arrow to get out of it on Firefox.

#9 ·
Unfortunately, this happened often enough that I had to re-enable my ad blocker. This breaks the enhanced mobile version of the site, so I'm on the desktop version now. Not as convenient on my iPhone, but way better then getting redirected to the App Store every visit (don't know how they found a way to bypass Apple's blocker, but they did).

#10 ·
I have malwarebytes and bitdefender but the popups are really bad. Never seen them this bad and they are only on this web site. It took 4 times to finally get this message out. Looking at my bitdefender's virus history shows lots of bad stuff is getting blocked here...too much to be comfortable with because no software blocks 100%.

Rimfire Central, I really enjoy your site but this is too much.

#11 ·
I have had more today also. Hopefully the geeks behind RFC will see this and be able to stop it.

#12 ·
Me too. Been getting re-directed to nonsense via quizzitch.net

I thought I had a browser hijack but this is with my Chromebook, with Chrome OS, which cannot be written to.

Anyway, it is definitely THIS site as I have not experienced the problem anywhere else. Sorry to say this but I'll just stop visiting RFC until it's fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.