Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM
blackhabu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Buckmark Contour 7 in as 1st handgun

Hi all,

I like the 7 in barrel Contour, even if I feel the grip a little too big for my hands (as grips are concerned, I prefer UDX, as the rosewood).
It will be my first handgun, so far had only rifles (rimfire too).

Is the Contour 7 in a good choice, or better choose the 5 in barrel, or other Buckmark models ?
Gun will be used only in the range, informal bullseye at 25 m. I probably will scope or red dot it.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Travis299
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BM Hunter with red dot

I put a Burris FF III on my Hunter. I like the model that you are getting as the red dot will fit on your Picatinny rail without modification.

Contour URX

Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 7" barrel w/the extra weight out front will make it a better handing target and varmit pistol. I put the 7 in. fluted barrel on my BM Camper and it really improved handling for bowling pins.

I shoot a Medalist for pins most of the time with the 6" barrel and heavy barrel weight to hold down muzzle jump [not much to begin with] in traversing the targets {pins}. I think you will like the longer barrel.

If you are still unsure, handle any of the shorter barrel models and then make your decision.

VH

Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhabu View Post
Hi all,

I like the 7 in barrel Contour, even if I feel the grip a little too big for my hands (as grips are concerned, I prefer UDX, as the rosewood).
It will be my first handgun, so far had only rifles (rimfire too).

Is the Contour 7 in a good choice, or better choose the 5 in barrel, or other Buckmark models ?
Gun will be used only in the range, informal bullseye at 25 m. I probably will scope or red dot it.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
I too would recommend holding a few different ones, and pick the one that fits your hand (and weight/balance preferences) the best. I haven't tried any 4" Buckmarks, but every 5.5" and 7.25" Buckmark I've tried is accurate enough for Bullseye at 25yds (by which I mean they can shoot Expert scores for sure, and maybe Master scores, when using decent standard-velocity ammo, like CCI SV, SK Standard Plus, Wolf Match Target, Norma Tac, or my favorite... Eley Target).

The obvious choices for mounting a red dot (I'm assuming a larger tube-style red dot for Bullseye) are the Field Target model, the Hunter model, the Plus models, and the Contour model, since they come with top rails. But keep in mind that it's possible to get an aftermarket rail for most of the other models, so you don't have to rule them out completely.

If the Contour grip is too large, maybe buy a set of the URX grips made for the "Rosewood Challenge" model direct from Browning, and put those on it? They are kinda flowery (in case that bothers you), but I think they would give you the smallest Buckmark grip available without custom-made grip panels (since the URX grip frame is the smallest grip frame available once the wrap-around grip panels are removed).